News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:33:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balsa Wood - Where to Buy?  (Read 11845 times)

Offline Bob Gandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Balsa Wood - Where to Buy?
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »

Hello Everybody:

Ok.  As I have posted before, I am getting back in the hobby after being gone a very long time.

I am looking to scratch build a OTS airplane and would like to know your preferred balsa supplier.  I have looked at the websites for National Balsa, Balsa USA and Lonestar Balsa and the costs are not different enough to help me make a decision. 

Appreciate any comments either on-line or off-line.

Bob Gandy
Beautiful Olathe, KS

Offline Bob Gandy

• New Pilot
Re: Balsa Wood - Where to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:40:22 PM »
Ty:

Thank you for answering.

Unfortunately, my local hobby shop doesn't really carry much stock anymore.  They are big into R/C cars and park flyers.

I have checked out Michaels, Hobby Lobby and here in KC a place called JoAnne's Fabrics.  They all have some balsa but it is very expensive on a piece by piece basis as compared to purchasing a bunch from National or Lonestar.  Sorta like doing your grocery shopping at the 7-Eleven.

I am just one short Powerball win away from opening an old time hobby shop . . . .

Thanks again.

Bob

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:16:37 PM »
I believe in Lonestar. Good people and very good balsa. Tell them what you want and they will get it to you. Top quality. H^^

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »
. . . and here in KC a place called JoAnne's Fabrics.  . . .

. . .

Well, at least you got a place to buy cloth hinge material!  ;D

Larry Fulwider

Offline Bob Gandy

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:18:38 PM »
Larry:

I actually have a several rolls of Stits Poly-Fiber, 2-inch pinked Dacron tapes, that I have been cutting into 1/2" strips with my pinking shears.  I really like how that material works for the hinges.  Somewhat more difficult to work the glue through, but not too bad.

Like I said, I'm just now getting back into this hobby and am probably going to ask some weird questions from time to time.  I appreciate everybody putting up with me.

I'm looking forward to warm weather and some flying time.

Bob Gandy

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »
I can say that Lonestar Balsa is my choice and I don't think you will find better folks to deal with. I think they should have a Texas style phoenix as a mascot or logo since it has risen again from the ashes.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »
Lonestar is good people for sure! H^^

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »
Use Lonestar, National, or Balsa USA to lay in a stockpile.

Since you said you have a Michael's store- watch the Sunday paper for their Ad. They usually have a 40-50% off coupon good for 1 item. If I can get it from my wife I will take a few minutes and go through the balsa bin- It's Midwest balsa, and ranges from rock hard / heavy to pulpy/ useless, but there is usually some fair to decent pieces. I tend to get the 3/16" or 1/4"  sheets.

1 piece at a time, of hand selected decent ( not contest grade) wood adds up, and you also get to look around at the other craft stuff for things that may be useful.

The real deal is if you also launch model rockets- they stock a pack of 24 Estes engines- from A's to C's that usually goes for about $50, getting that for 1/2 price and spending an afternoon with some kids launching rockets is great!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 03:43:53 PM »
Bob, I haqve used all three balsa suppliers with great results.  Before Lonestar, used to be a member in the R/C Club that had a dealers in with SIG.  Used to give him a big order every so often, until he quit the club.  Also while at the Michaels or Hobby Lobby look at their brushes for applying dope. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »
Use Lonestar, National, or Balsa USA to lay in a stockpile.

Since you said you have a Michael's store- watch the Sunday paper for their Ad. They usually have a 40-50% off coupon good for 1 item. If I can get it from my wife I will take a few minutes and go through the balsa bin- It's Midwest balsa, and ranges from rock hard / heavy to pulpy/ useless, but there is usually some fair to decent pieces. I tend to get the 3/16" or 1/4"  sheets.

1 piece at a time, of hand selected decent ( not contest grade) wood adds up, and you also get to look around at the other craft stuff for things that may be useful..............

A friend of mine says the Michael's Sunday paper ad is especially good for large sheets of modeling plywood where the weight and quality are consistent and you will be saving a lot of bucks.  

Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 08:16:02 PM »
Larry:

Like I said, I'm just now getting back into this hobby and am probably going to ask some weird questions from time to time.  I appreciate everybody putting up with me.

Bob Gandy

Hey!
They put up with me and my questions! n~
Ask away , your in the right place!  y1 y1#^ #^

Welcome back!
David
David Roland

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 10:04:31 AM »
I've gotten good balsa from SIG when not available elsewhere. BUT, you gotta ask for CONTEST BALSA!

Heres a tip I got from Randy: When your order comes in, weigh it, and mark each piece on the end where you can see it in your storage box. Saves lots of time. And you'll be surprised at the differances between two very good pieces! Here is how you select inboard rib stock from outboard stock!

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 08:31:43 PM »
I have bought from all, and I really like Lonestar.  Riley has always been up front and the rest of the family is great to deal with.  I am VERY happy that they are back!

I always have done as Ward says:  I weigh and sort every piece when it comes in and mark it.  That helps me tremendously when I get to cutting a new plane!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 05:24:28 PM »
I reccomend LoneStar. Mike and Riley's determination to regrow the company from ashes(literally), speak volumes of their commitment to the modeling world! I may be a little partial, them being a Texas institution and such!lol
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here