News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balsa Lite  (Read 747 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Balsa Lite
« on: January 16, 2024, 06:23:23 AM »
I hate to admit it, but I occasionally resort to using balsa lite filler in my builds. Most of the builder videos here never seem to touch the stuff because they are so good at making tight fits throughout their builds.

Anyway, my question is, how do you keep the product from drying out once opened? I've tried cellophane and paper on the jar before tightening the lid, but it seems to dry up quicker than you'd expect. Any recommendations other than practice making tighter fits.

Steve

Online doug coursey

• Commander
Re: Balsa Lite
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 07:35:57 AM »
I hate to admit it, but I occasionally resort to using balsa lite filler in my builds. Most of the builder videos here never seem to touch the stuff because they are so good at making tight fits throughout their builds.

Anyway, my question is, how do you keep the product from drying out once opened? I've tried cellophane and paper on the jar before tightening the lid, but it seems to dry up quicker than you'd expect. Any recommendations other than practice making tighter fits.

Steve
I THIN MINE BACK OUT WITH WATER
AMA 21449

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 07:57:17 AM »
I do this also. I do use distilled water only.  I had a jar of the watered down stuff "grow" something green once.....

I THIN MINE BACK OUT WITH WATER
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 11:02:52 AM »
So, if its water based placing a drop or to in the container should keep it from drying out. I'll dig the dried-out bottle out of the trash and see if it can be saved.

Steve

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 11:10:26 AM »
So, if its water based placing a drop or to in the container should keep it from drying out. I'll dig the dried-out bottle out of the trash and see if it can be saved.

Steve
It should be, mine was.  Don't use the stuff anymore.  Don't put in too much water.  It thins quickly.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 03:36:00 PM »
My bet for the absolute tight, long time hermetization of bottles/jugs:
My favorite cheese is the "Babybel" from Holland.
Small 2" or 2 1/2 dia cheeses, having purple colored 1/8" thick vax coating.
This type of vax is not rigid: can be melted easily by hotgun, in a spoon. Before turning the cap on, immerse the thread of bottle, turn on the cap, and heat again.
(If you cannot find "Babybel" in your grocery/supermarket, other vaxes can be useful... )   
Istvan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here