News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balancing a 3 blade prop  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Balancing a 3 blade prop
« on: November 05, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »
Is there a systematic way to balance a 3 blade prop?

Come on, you pro guys, you use them all the time, don’t tell me you just bolt them on and fly, or if you can, the guys who make them know how to get them in balance. Surely it matters to you.

Somebody knows how it is done in an efficient manner. Gimme a break!  mw~
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 05:34:06 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Balancing a 3 blade prop
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 05:45:35 PM »
Then you are going back and forth trying to get the balance even. Isn’t there a better procedure?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 05:53:45 PM »
Put the 3 blade prop into the balancer with one blade "down",  Sand the two "top: blades until they balance.  Turn 120 deg. and repeat.

With one blade "down", gravity does not come into play on that blade.  Leaves just remaining two to balance.

Sanding any blade affects the other 2.  So it is necessary to keep doing this until all 3 blades are the same.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »
I found this Y Tube video useful.

John McFayden

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 09:26:07 PM »
Mike Haverly taught me to balance the hollow Igor props by putting lead on the hub opposite a heavy blade.  This doesn't look like it would work, but it does. I put the lead on with epoxy or Slo Zap, then fine tune by carving little slivers off with an X-acto knife. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 12:29:59 AM »
Hi, I proceed like this:
1) I label the blades (A, B, C) with a felt-tip pen.
2) I place the propeller on the balancer, the blades A and C downwards and the vertical blade B up, in this way I find the lightest blade between A and C (by way of example, let's assume C + light).
3) I place the propeller on the balancer, the blades B and C downwards and the blade A vertical upwards, in this way I find the lightest blade between B and C (by way of example we suppose B + light, which at this point is the lightest of the three blades).
4) I start sanding blade A to balance it with the light reference B and then repeat the operation for blade C.
5) I check the balance of the three blades again in sequence and it is hardly necessary to further adjust them except to compensate for really small deviations.
I hope this helps

Massimo

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 09:15:31 AM »
I use this simple aluminum fitting to find the heavy blades on anything with three or more blades.  The bored hole is blind and has a conical bottom.  Center the prop snuggly on the fitting and use a needle as the fulcrum.  Turn the ceiling fans off too.

I don’t recall where I got it decades ago.  Probably not a difficult job for a skilled machinist w/ a lathe.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 04:02:26 PM by Jim Hoffman »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 03:14:27 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that 3 blades are easier to balance than two. Because....you don't have to monkey around with balancing the hub, like you should on a 2 blade propeller. Brett or Paul will be along shortly, to 'splain why I'm wrong.   %^@ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here