News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:38:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bad Day at Lake Wales  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
Bad Day at Lake Wales
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:17:14 AM »
 The up line on my handle got caught on the down eyelet of my handle and the rest...well you know.....Murphy's Law I guess. Looks like the I'll need major repairs on my Vector....again.

Phil

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Bad Day at Lake Wales
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:24:06 AM »
Phil, i know that feeling (see my post "Little Lessons Learned"). I now take extra care on both ends of my lines to minimize the chances of that happening again by making sure the crimps and line ends are covered good with shrink tubing. I see my friend flying continuous outside loops with lines that are begging to get tangled up, i have warned him that it is just a matter of time!!   y1
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »
Looks like the I'll need major repairs on my Vector....again.

Such a deal I have for you ..... !!!

Sorry to hear about your Vector, again! The same Vector kit, in shrinkwrap, is sitting on my shelf that you purchased to fix the last snaf-u. You seem to be in more need of it than me ... maybe we can strike a deal.  :-)

I'll be heading your way tomorrow for a call at Hyatt Farms on SR60. Gimme a call, or send an email and we'll hook up to get it in your hands.

FlySafe!  Larry (Larrys4227)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »
Larry,

I looked at it and I think I can repair it.  No damage to the wing just the front and I am going to try to repair it.  Broke a stab/elev off but I can just hot stuff that back on. Throuble spot is that the beams broke at the rear motor holes,  I am going to try to glue that back together and reinforce it. The plane will probably be a pig by the time I'm through with all that.  Oh well, I still have a bran' new one in a box here  and I need to build it for a backup competition plane.

Right now I have enough work in the shop: A Pete 'n Poke I am covering for a friend,  my Gee Bee Model D project, a Surpass 120 to put bearings in, and this latest repair thing. HB~>

Phil

Eric Viglione

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
Phil - Sorry to hear about that! You do know don't you, that the uglier they get, the better they fly?!! If nothing else, fix her up and use it to practice those 5ft bottoms.  8)

If you get bored, come on down and see us again, you can try out our new cement pilot circle and runway!  y1
EricV

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:55:24 AM »
Phil - Sounds like you got it, and everything else, under control! Those mount beams might be a bugger tho ... I hate it when that happens! I finally got my 25LA piston/sleeve ... the motor is better, but I cant seem to get it to run the way it used to. I guess it got plowed into the ground one to many times. Looking forward to flying my new 38Special in a couple weeks!

Good luck with all them projects!

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:59:45 AM »
If you get bored, come on down and see us again, you can try out our new cement pilot circle and runway!  y1
EricV

Just the other day, I was reading your newsletter and saw the mention about the poured cement in the circle! Must be nice, eh?! I was thinking about making an appearance soon. I havent been over in awhile to see youse guys!

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »
How are the fire ants doing?

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 01:23:36 PM »
Hi Larry,
I had this happen on an Oriental ARF and what I did was to cut them off at the fire wall and use an RC glass filled plastic radial mount. It worked great and you couldn't tell if it had been modified or not.

I don't know why more people don't use these mounts..............on CL models. I'm thinking of designing them in on my next scratch built ship.

Tight lines, Jerry

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 01:52:07 PM »
Sorry to here about that Phil.  Hope you can get it back together.

Matt Colan

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »
How are the fire ants doing?

As vicious as ever! Gotta make sure ya check the handle before picking it up!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here