News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Back Again  (Read 1020 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Back Again
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »

I had to have an unexpected knee surgery a little over a week ago, to the guys that knew thanks for the prayers and support. I'm getting a little building accomplished (as much as I can take standing). I'm looking at a 2-3 month recovery before I'm back to work so I should be able to get a few finished for me and help my 8 year old get a couple of profiles ready for him. I'll be able to get on the sites a little know as I can take the sitting in front of the computer for a few minutes at a time.

Anyone have any tips or experience from building either the Gunar or Geo XL that you could offer (I have the ribs prepped from the Lost Foam Jig).

James

AMA 491167

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
Re: Back Again
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »
Glad you're back.  hope the knee mends well too.

Give Jim Lynch a call regarding the GEO XL.  He has two adn they are beautiful.

Zuriel

Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »
Glad you're back.  hope the knee mends well too.

Give Jim Lynch a call regarding the GEO XL.  He has two adn they are beautiful.

Zuriel

Thanks, we thought I could get a couple more years out of the knee with the shots they were giving me but time caught me (I'm on the young side for a partial replacement but it will be better than it ever was before very soon).
If they are anything like his Super Ares I bet they are sharp, met him at Allens contest a couple of years ago and seemed to be a real nice guy.  Appreciate the tip.

James
AMA 491167

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »
Jim, did not know about the knee surgery.  Remember to follow the doctors orders, not mine.  I am slowly getting my knees back in shape.  It's when I stand or sit still for any length of time, I have to get them moving again.  The old doctor keeps saying it's arthritus, but I don't know him.  Soon as weather breaks I have a bunch of planes that need flying.  It is amazing that when I got the hip to quit hurting then the left knee started acting up.  The right knee has been bad for years and so far have not become addicted to drugs/pain killers.  To other people I probably look funny doing knee lifts while on crossing duty.  So take care of your self and get that young one going.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »
Jim, did not know about the knee surgery.  Remember to follow the doctors orders, not mine.  I am slowly getting my knees back in shape.  It's when I stand or sit still for any length of time, I have to get them moving again.  The old doctor keeps saying it's arthritis, but I don't know him.  Soon as weather breaks I have a bunch of planes that need flying.  It is amazing that when I got the hip to quit hurting then the left knee started acting up.  The right knee has been bad for years and so far have not become addicted to drugs/pain killers.  To other people I probably look funny doing knee lifts while on crossing duty.  So take care of your self and get that young one going.   H^^
Doc,

I actually had a partial replacement.  We knew I eventually was going to need it but didn't expect it this year.  My back was messed up almost the entire month of December which I think was related to the knee problem.  Anyway, I was getting a shot every 6 months, not fun but was working very well up to this point.  I'm on the young side for this (42) but when the dock took new x-rays and saw how ugly it was he did an about face about my age and said we need to schedule this and get it done.  It's getting a bit stronger every day, doing the PT.  Will be good to go in short order and better shape than it every has been.

Are you going to VSC?

James
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
Hi James,

Take care of the knee! ;D 

I'm looking at a full replacement on my right knee at some point in time.  No cartilage for 40 years now, and lost the ligaments in it in '07, so it ain't real good anymore! But I have a custom made *Carson Palmer* "Breg" brace (cost the insurance company about $1500!) which has kept me going.LL~ LL~

As to either of the Werwage planes you mentioned, both are excellent as designed.  The "XL" we built used a Geo Bolt wing per Billy's suggestion, and it was very good.  The basic wing in both planes as designed is the basically the USA-1 wing, so efforts to keep the weight around 60 oz, (or less) is a good idea.  Billy's designs DO rely on light weight.

Jim is a great guy, so get hold of him if at all possible. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »
Yes the old DOC plans on being at VSC again.   Trying to get the King Sweep done.  Had a split open up on the wing fillet on the bottom side I am trying to cure.  May do like Jimmy Rhodes and leave it in clear with just numbers.  All it needs is the finish and wheels.  Tank is done and in the plane.   Not much room for fuel tank even with cutting into the leading edge.  Now you take care of yourself as I look forward to another trip to Springfield MISSOURI. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
Now you take care of yourself as I look forward to another trip to Springfield MISSOURI. H^^
[/quote]
Doc,

Believe me, I'm doing everything the doc says under the watchful eyes of Beth (I told her she missed her calling as a D.I., I'm not getting away with anything :).

Have a safe and good time out west.

James
AMA 491167

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here