News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:07:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: baton rouge  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Dan Berry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
baton rouge
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
I've not seen any mention of our buddies in Baton Rouge.
Have any of you guys been clobbered by the flooding?

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: baton rouge
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »
I've not seen any mention of our buddies in Baton Rouge.
Have any of you guys been clobbered by the flooding?

I've been wondering the same thing.  Seen very disturbing pictures on the TV screen!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing.  Seen very disturbing pictures on the TV screen!

Randy Cuberly

They have a BigTime mess down there.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »
I'm high and dry. Waiting for the parks dept. to open the gates and mow the grass.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 06:34:22 PM »
Some of us who fly in Baton Rouge have not been caught up in the flooding, we do have a couple that are not as fortunate. Some of our families have been flooded and at least 2 of the people who fly with us have been directly affected. There are many people here who have lost everything they had it is very sad to see what they are dealing with. Our field is had water on it but it is now gone going to be ready soon I hope.
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »
Talking with Doug at Paducah. The hotels are currently occupied by the flood victims. That will be the determining factor according to Doug.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Mark Troutman

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 06:59:16 PM »
Been through 2 floods myself ( Hurricane Ikc in Galveston and the flood of 1998 in New Braunfuls Tx. Both times lost a great deal but its nothing compared to loosing everything. Just trying to clean up what is left and try to save what you can is both mentally and physically exhausting and its hot down here. If they need the motels for flood victims then they should get the priority. I have a room in Zachary reserved but it won't surprise me or kill me to give it up. My son spent 8 months in Waveland Miss working for FEMA after Katrina and had to live in a small hotel the whole time so don't be surprised if this takes that long or longer to get the FEMA and other clean up crews as well as the locals that are displaced bedded down. He was often 100 miles form where he was working as everything closer was gone. This is actually worse than Katrina but the news isn't reporting it as the boss is on vacation. We lost our Memorial day contest here in Katy this year due to flooding but that was just the field underwater. Your talking whole towns underwater this time.  A good prayer would be appropriate for all these folks. Mark Troutman.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 08:41:14 PM »
      I've been in touch with most of our flying buddies in the the LA. flood zone and they say the devastation is absolutely terrible. Now it is well over 60,000 flooded homes and still counting. Only a small percentage w/flood insurance. According to the flood map our new flying site in Zachary, LA.(DOYLE'S BAYOU PARK) stayed high and dry except for some water that may have come onto the east side of the circles a little and into the east tree line on the east park boundary. This has long since drained.
      The Best Western in Zachary where everyone made reservations assured us we still have the rooms for Oct.  14, 15TH. They are currently occupied by flood victims. The only way reservations could be cancelled would be if big brother said they had to continue housing victims which is fine they are the priority. We will stay on top of this and post any changes, but as it stands now we gonna have a contest! OH!! We will be better able to tell in about three weeks. I heard a rumor from another part of the country that the Zachary Best Western was flooded real bad and that the contest site was under 6' of water. Simply not true!! Even the restaurant reserved for the Sat. nite contest supper was not flooded, but believe me everything else in the area was underwater.
      One of our club member's home in Denham Springs had water to the roof edge, another member in Gonzales, LA. had 3' in home. Another had 3-4' in his daughter's home which was located only a few blocks from his home which stayed dry (Greenwell Springs, LA). Brent Rogillio's mother-in-law's home was flooded- I believe in the Baker area.
      In all these cases our guys with the help of neighbors, kin, and friends have already completely gutted and begun the drying process. Some have days ago purchased their sheet rock and supplies in adjourning states( stores are holding them till needed. The volunteerism from what I hear is amazing. People all over are forming make shift organizations, collecting supplies, and dispersing as fast as possible. One shopping mall has scores of vendors cooking and sending out food to the neighborhoods and surrounding areas, churches local and out of state are getting and sending out stuff as fast as they get it. FEMA AND BIG BRO are slowly beginning to get their hands out their royal arse, but I tell you these people for the most part don't give a rip what FEMA DOES OR DOES NOT DO. Of course, in other disasters people and volunteer organizations really get behind the "8" ball and help, but this is a little different down there now. They are really showing an independent can do mentality. They are really what good people in LA. are about- unlike what was exhibited in N.O. IN 2005. Need to continue to pray for these hard hit people. Most all have lost everything, plus lack of flood insurance for most.
     As an example, My son Jody and his wife, Darla, in Fort Worth, TX., wanted to do something for LA, so they simply contacted a large trucking company in Fort Worth and they ended up getting the company to commit trailers, tractors, and driver. The company said, "You fill'em we'll deliver. This was only a few days ago. They got the first trailer filled this morning. Now they are working on another trailer.
    This whole mess is bringing out the best in a lot of people. Dat's all.
            Doug

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:52:45 AM by Joseph Patterson »

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »
As good an account as you will find.

He mentions commandeering boats, that's not true. The "Cajun Navy" came on it's own.

Offline Mark Troutman

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 03:43:53 PM »
Big thanks Doug for the update and status. Sounds like the same thing that rebuilt Galveston is happening down there. Good folks doing all the right things with no publicity and little big brother help. I'll be there if the contest is still on.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »
    Thanks Mark.
           Doug

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 08:37:51 PM »
Doug check your personal E-mail
Norm

I've been in touch with most of our flying buddies in the the LA. flood zone and they say the devastation is absolutely terrible. Now it is well over 60,000 flooded homes and still counting. Only a small percentage w/flood insurance. According to the flood map our new flying site in Zachary, LA.(DOYLE'S BAYOU PARK) stayed high and dry except for some water that may have come onto the east side of the circles a little and into the east tree line on the east park boundary. This has long since drained.
      The Best Western in Zachary where everyone made reservations assured us we still have the rooms for Oct.  14, 15TH. They are currently occupied by flood victims. The only way reservations could be cancelled would be if big brother said they had to continue housing victims which is fine they are the priority. We will stay on top of this and post any changes, but as it stands now we gonna have a contest! OH!! We will be better able to tell in about three weeks. I heard a rumor from another part of the country that the Zachary Best Western was flooded real bad and that the contest site was under 6' of water. Simply not true!! Even the restaurant reserved for the Sat. nite contest supper was not flooded, but believe me everything else in the area was underwater.
      One of our club member's home in Denham Springs had water to the roof edge, another member in Gonzales, LA. had 3' in home. Another had 3-4' in his daughter's home which was located only a few blocks from his home which stayed dry (Greenwell Springs, LA). Brent Rogillio's mother-in-law's home was flooded- I believe in the Baker area.
      In all these cases our guys with the help of neighbors, kin, and friends have already completely gutted and begun the drying process. Some have days ago purchased their sheet rock and supplies in adjourning states( stores are holding them till needed. The volunteerism from what I hear is amazing. People all over are forming make shift organizations, collecting supplies, and dispersing as fast as possible. One shopping mall has scores of vendors cooking and sending out food to the neighborhoods and surrounding areas, churches local and out of state are getting and sending out stuff as fast as they get it. FEMA AND BIG BRO are slowly beginning to get their hands out their royal arse, but I tell you these people for the most part don't give a rip what FEMA DOES OR DOES NOT DO. Of course, in other disasters people and volunteer organizations really get behind the "8" ball and help, but this is a little different down there now. They are really showing an independent can do mentality. They are really what good people in LA. are about- unlike what was exhibited in N.O. IN 2005. Need to continue to pray for these hard hit people. Most all have lost everything, plus lack of flood insurance for most.
     As an example, My son Jody and his wife, Darla, in Fort Worth, TX., wanted to do something for LA, so they simply contacted a large trucking company in Fort Worth and they ended up getting the company to commit trailers, tractors, and driver. The company said, "You fill'em we'll deliver. This was only a few days ago. They got the first trailer filled this morning. Now they are working on another trailer.
    This whole mess is bringing out the best in a lot of people. Dat's all.
            Doug

Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 10:23:01 AM »
I didn't flood but I bought flood insurance today. The agent told me that if you live in a flood zone and want $250,000 flood insurance it costs $13,000 per year. Lots of people lessened the cost by dropping the contents portion. OOPS.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here