News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:09:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF Flite Streak Again ...  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
ARF Flite Streak Again ...
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:26:57 AM »
Recently picked one of these up and have been scanning the posts covering it.  The fuselage in my kit seems sturdy as a rock, but will build a new one as I expect the airplane to be around awhile.  So Thanks to everyone who advised us they ain't as sturdy as they look/feel ...    ;)

Two things stood out immediately though: (1) Did anyone else notice the tail moment was increased by 1-1/2"?  I've always (well, since building my first in about '57 when the kit came out) thought the Streak was only marginally "stable" in level flight with a light engine up front anyway.  No wonder folks are complaining the ARF is "touchy" with a .20 or .25!

Second, I was really impressed with the MonoKote job on the wing.  I've not been a fan of iron-on films, and have had issues applying them to wings like the Streak family which have what amounts to a stationary, tapered flap attached to the trailing edge.  Probably because I've simply  laid one piece of covering on top or bottom and applied it.  And then watched as it at least partially peeled away from the joint (of flap and trailing edge).  Not major, but frustrating.

It seems pretty obvious the approach in covering this one was to apply a strip to the flap/trailing edge only, and then to cover the open area with another piece of covering that doesn't extend all the way to the back of the trailing edge (clear as mud, right?).

Reaction: Ooooooh, so that's how it's done!

Anyone who's done a reasonable amount of covering with iron-ons may think this is self-evident, but some of us are slow learners ...  So, if nothing else, buying the ARF may prompt me to reconsider using the "quick" covering rather than the old school stuff.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: ARF Flite Streak Again ...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:16:55 AM »
Strip the covering from the left side of the nose and ad a 3/8" thick balsa tripler after mounting your engine so you don't have to make holes for the blind nuts. Extend the tripler back an inch or so over the wing. I've had problems with the leadout wires rubbing on the rib cut outs and had to remove the bottom covering and relieve the ribs for clearance. Installing a leadout slider is swell also. After that the plane flew very well. OS .25. And the supplied fuel tank leaked real bad.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:21:33 AM »
Arf Streak with stretched fues. An inch and a half rear moment, inch or so front. The covering is fine. Does not delaminate. Carbon fiber tube pushrod. Power is an FP40 with a .272 venturi. Smoother shapes. Corner is ok.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
The ARF Flite Streak has a shortened nose/lengthened tail, presumably to keep the CG approximate with the modern muffled engines.  The Flite Streak flies better with a longer tail anyway.  With a slightly longer tail moment than the ARF you can stretch the nose to comfortably mount the engine, tank and gear.

Aside from the fuselage, the only other real issue is that all the hardware is trash.  From the foam wheel that folds over under the weight of the finished model, to the CA hinges, to the soft aluminum bellcrank.  Use good control system hardware and a modern control ratio and a Flite Streak will fly very smooth regardless what engine is on it.

Offline Michael Bodyagin

• New Pilot
  • Monument on the Moscow-Europe road
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
What the best prop for the Os .25La?

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
Don't know if it's the best but I use an APC 9-4 on mine.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 07:48:21 PM »
Really depends on the plane.   I have used 10-4, 9-5 and 9-6 on my LA 25.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »
Don't know if it's the best but I use an APC 9-4 on mine.

Mine runs extremely well on that, but I haven't experimented much. With a 10-4 I would expect the airplane to be way too fast.

Brett

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 09:17:42 AM »
   Mine runs extremely well on that, but I haven't experimented much. With a 10-4 I would expect the airplane to be way too fast.

Brett
Brett, I was (am) under the impression that the "speed" of an airplane is determined by the pitch and not the diameter.
I'm not trying to stir the pot or start an argument, I just want to know the answer....... ???

Isn't the "Pitch" like gears in a car? I'm confused by your statement.

Thanks in advance for clearing that up for me. See you in Woodland.

Jerry

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »
Brett, I was (am) under the impression that the "speed" of an airplane is determined by the pitch and not the diameter.
I'm not trying to stir the pot or start an argument, I just want to know the answer....... ???

Isn't the "Pitch" like gears in a car? I'm confused by your statement.

Thanks in advance for clearing that up for me. See you in Woodland.

I can't see how it would start an argument...

Props don't work like a screw screwing it's way through wood. So it's not just the pitch x the RPM, and it's not exactly like the gears in a car.  They are little spinning wings. A bigger wing makes more lift at the same speed and angle of attack than a small wing. Or, for the same lift, the angle of attack is lower.

I expect that all else being equal, the in-flight RPM will be about the same, the pitch is the same, and the blade area is much larger with a 10" prop than a 9" prop. So the larger prop will have more lift/thrust at the same airspeed, which means it will accelerate to a higher speed (until the drag again  equals the higher thrust). The angle of attack will be lower at this higher speed, roughly proportional to the difference in the blade area.

If you don't like that one, try this. The steady-state speed of the airplane is a function of how much horsepower is applied to it. The horsepower required goes up with the cube of the speed. It speeds up until the power from the prop equals the power required by the airframe. The power the prop puts into the air is a function of the shaft power of the engine, and the efficiency of the prop in turning shaft HP into thrust. A larger prop is more efficient, so the same shaft HP from the engine will translate to more power into the airframe, meaning the airplane will go faster.

Of course raising the pitch would also likely increase the speed, by a different mechanism. The prop with more pitch but the same diameter will end up running at a higher angle of attack, meaning that it too it more efficient, hence faster.

One way to find out, of course. The only debatable point is whether the engine will be able to deliver the same shaft HP, and then, when it is too fast, what happens when you try to needle it down.  The 20FP setup works so well with a relatively large venturi (more choke area than David's WC-winning PA75) only because the small and relatively inefficient prop (9-4) permits/requires the RPM to be very much higher to get the same effect, enhancing the fuel suction. When you slow it down, what may happen is that now it will tend to run away to the same RPM you had before, and leave you faster with no way to control it. The solution might be to reduce the venturi choke area so it will run reliably at the slower RPM/reduced HP.

Note this is why the "venturi size vs displacement" chart that Leonard Neumann refers to doesn't work. We have more-or-less the same choke area on successful engine systems from a 20 to a 76, it has *nothing* to do with the displacement. It does have to do with the amount of HP generated, which is not a lot different for stunt no matter what engine you use. Certainly not a matter of 3.6x as much power. In level flight I think David's airplane requires about 20-25% more power than the Skyray, and the difference in shaft power is probably even less.

What happens in the maneuvers is another story, but my comment referred to the basic speed. Based on experience (since this is hardly the first time someone has put a 25LA in a Flight Streak), I would guess the 9-4 still better in the maneuvers, too, but there's one sure way to find out.

Brett

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »
Yep! that is what I was thinking. (Try it)

Thanks Brett, Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here