News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ANZAC DAY  (Read 407 times)

Offline John Carrodus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
ANZAC DAY
« on: April 24, 2024, 02:14:46 PM »
Today we remember our Australian and New Zealand brothers and sisters who fought through the many battles in Europe and the Pacific . We will remember them. A thought for all those currently serving in various conflicts. May they all return safely.

( I would draw your attention to John Williamsons- I was only 19. Viewable on you tube.)

Jonathan Carrodus

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: ANZAC DAY
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 02:16:56 PM »
Lest We Forget.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 10:11:49 AM »
April 19 was an important day for us Yanks. Pretty much forgotten, sad to say.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 11:49:31 AM »
Happy Anzac Day to all those Down Under.  H^^

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 07:57:10 AM »
Happy belated Anzac day greetings from Canada.
LEST WE FORGET!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 08:06:57 PM »
The Australian and New Zealand Army Corps was originally a First World War army corps of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. It was formed in Egypt in December 1914, and operated during the Gallipoli campaign.

In December, the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC), under Lieutenant General William Birdwood, was formed to command both the AIF and NZEF components.

totalitarianism .

The first time the Japanese advance was halted was at Kokoda  All the trained troops had gone to the middle east ,
so new recruit farm boys were sent. Which was just as well , as they could shoot .Essentially , at ' the front ' a shoot out , battle off attrition .

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-the-Japanese-stop-advancing-along-the-Kokoda-trail

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 08:31:14 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 08:55:18 PM »
There's an ANZAC connection to my father. He was stationed on Palawan, P.I., flying B-25's, mostly against Japanese shipping. They got a call from an Aussie commander (British, of course) pleading for air support as they had been trying to take a mountain pass in Borneo. With the three previous attacks being costly in casualties, they finally called someone. Dad's and two other B-25 crews took off to see what they could do, with ol' Dad being the lead plane/mission commander. They flew over at high altitude, so as to appear oblivious to the Japanese defenders, and made their plan.

The plan was rather strange. They feathered their props and idled the engines, gliding down the slope in relative silence, one behind the other. And, they got lucky, because they arrived and attacked as the evening meal was being served. Rifles neatly stacked in the usual conical method. The B-25's straffed and bombed and flew away into the sunset, with no munitions left. Three days later, they got a message from the Aussie troops that they took the pass without opposition. If you know what mountain pass that would have been, I'd be interested. I haven't been able to figure it out. Malaysia now.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 01:46:02 AM »
There's an ANZAC connection to my father. He was stationed on Palawan, P.I., flying B-25's, mostly against Japanese shipping. They got a call from an Aussie commander (British, of course) pleading for air support as they had been trying to take a mountain pass in Borneo. With the three previous attacks being costly in casualties, they finally called someone. Dad's and two other B-25 crews took off to see what they could do, with ol' Dad being the lead plane/mission commander. They flew over at high altitude, so as to appear oblivious to the Japanese defenders, and made their plan.

The plan was rather strange. They feathered their props and idled the engines, gliding down the slope in relative silence, one behind the other. And, they got lucky, because they arrived and attacked as the evening meal was being served. Rifles neatly stacked in the usual conical method. The B-25's straffed and bombed and flew away into the sunset, with no munitions left. Three days later, they got a message from the Aussie troops that they took the pass without opposition. If you know what mountain pass that would have been, I'd be interested. I haven't been able to figure it out. Malaysia now.  H^^ Steve

This is the closest I can find on the Borneo action in 1945. The tactics you describe were pretty much general Allied practice in that time frame. One story I'm familiar with that a friend's RAAF father got a DFC for a glide bombing raid on a Japanese Airfield at about 2am on the morning of a nearby planned Allied Landing. He glided a PBY-5 at 50' over the main dispersal area and dropped four bombs on all the armed and gassed up aircraft. They could see the glow of the fire at 50 mile distance.

[begin quote]
 Labuan–Brunei Bay, on the north-west coast of Borneo, was the scene of landings on 10 and 16 June 1945 which formed the second phase of the Allies’ campaign to seize the island from the Japanese. The operation, codenamed ‘Oboe 6’, was conducted by the 9th Australian Division commanded by Major-General George Wootten—less the 26th Brigade which was still engaged at Tarakan (q.v.)—and involved a total of more than 29,000 men. The objective of the invasion force was to secure the ground needed for an advanced fleet base to be established, and also to protect oil and rubber-producing facilities in the area. On the morning of 10 June, following a heavy air and naval bombardment, the 24th Brigade (2/28th and 2/43rd battalions) was put ashore on the southern end of Labuan Island in the entrance to Brunei Bay. At the same time the 20th Brigade was landed on the southern edge of the bay—the 2/17th Battalion securing a beach-head at Brunei Bluff on the mainland of Borneo itself, just north of the town of Brooketon; the 2/15th seizing the small Muara Island close by. The enemy had retired to defensive positions away from the beach-front, so there was no opposition to any of these landings; Muara was quickly found to be ungarrisoned by the enemy anyway.

On Labuan, the town and airfield were both secured by dusk at a cost of only a few casualties to steadily increasing Japanese resistance. When the Australians pressed their attack over the next two days, however, the surviving Japanese withdrew into a stronghold dug into a tangle of jungle-covered ridges on the edge of a mangrove swamp little more than a kilometre west of the airfield. Realising that a full-scale attack would be needed to subdue the enemy resisting in what became known as ‘The Pocket’, a five-day barrage was laid down before infantry and tanks advanced on 15 June. After only a few posts were taken, but two tanks damaged by the defenders, it was decided to continue the bombardment before making a further attempt. In addition to artillery, gunfire from the Australian cruiser Shropshire and aerial bombing was also brought to bear. On 21 June two companies again assaulted The Pocket, supported by tanks (some with flamethrowers). About 180 Japanese were killed in the attack, bringing to 389 the number of enemy dead since the Labuan landing; Australian dead numbered 34. [end quote]

Clark, Chris. The Encyclopaedia of Australia's Battles (p. 252). Allen & Unwin. Kindle Edition.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 03:32:05 PM by qaz049 »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here