News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:44:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with stage 0 lung spots?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Anyone have experience with stage 0 lung spots?
« on: January 27, 2024, 10:04:39 AM »
Guys,
Well, I'm doing fine with the bladder and prostate cancer that was removed almost 2 years ago, but on route CT and PET scan they saw a spot that is suspicious for being malignant This just showed up within the last four months and it is very early detection. From all I have found on the web at this point they use the word cure in the high 90%. I am not a smoker nor do I drink much alcohol.

Anyone go through this? What options did they give you for treatment.

Best,    DennisT 

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Anyone have experience with stage 0 lung spots?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 10:27:53 AM »
Guys,
Well, I'm doing fine with the bladder and prostate cancer that was removed almost 2 years ago, but on route CT and PET scan they saw a spot that is suspicious for being malignant This just showed up within the last four months and it is very early detection. From all I have found on the web at this point they use the word cure in the high 90%. I am not a smoker nor do I drink much alcohol.

Anyone go through this? What options did they give you for treatment.

Best,    DennisT
[/quote

]Dennis;

My late brothern-law had lung cancer and they remover the bad lung. He lived several years after that. He was an avid fisherman (sport).

I hope they don't have to remove yours.

Good luck, Jerry

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 01:00:50 PM »
I’ve known several people who have had “spots” or “a spot” and in all my decades ZERO of them turned out to be something other than a fat juicy medical bill.  On the flip side I have known several people who have died of mysterious unknown causes.  Therefore I’d rather have a spot.

Good luck with your continued existence…

Offline Donald Main

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 02:03:46 PM »
I am dealing with this with my mother. She has had 6 radiation treatments an has 2 to go. So far no problems. However I do wonder just how much this will cost.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 06:18:32 PM »
What ever your doctor recomends you should listen but, you could proactively help any situation with a few healthy life style changes that are so easy to do. Walk a (20 minute) mile everyday, drink 1/2 gal of plain water every day, ease up on the trans fat, sugar/salt ect. ect. Learn the (BMI) numbers, find out where Mother nature draws the line. Peal the skin off of chicken. When you take good care of yourself there is a night and day difference in your quality of life that will inspire others.

MM 8) 

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 06:54:35 PM »
MM,
Good information, for myself I have been doing this healthy stuff since my 20"s. No history of any of this in the family. Glad we are able to check this early. But it's annoying to have to give up the time for all this. That being said I did learn my lesson with the bladder (just for the young guys if you ever see blood in your urine go to a urologist, even is it is a onetime thing) had I know what I know now 20 yrs ago I could have most likely avoided removal. Won't make that mistake of waiting again.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 07:07:39 AM »
Well after taking a recent PET scan the "spot" showed a high uptake and they are 95% ish sure it is malignant. Talking to the lung surgeon he said I had two options, it is in a good spot for surgical removal said they do this robotically and have a 90+ cure rate at this stage, hospital stay is 3-4 days, no follow-up Chemo. The second option is Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) they zap it. SBRT is done as an outpatient treatment 3-4 doses but usually combined with chemo follow-up. So he said with surgery we get it out, with SBRT in the lung it is a little tricky cause the lungs don't stay still while being zapped and if they don't get it all they can't go back and zap again and if it comes back it is more aggressive.

Now that's from the surgeons point of view, I am sure the radiologist might have a slightly different response since they have been doing this since 2005 and their technology has also improved. I meet with my oncologist in the next few days to discuss the options and develop a treatment plan.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 05:35:57 PM »
…with SBRT in the lung it is a little tricky cause the lungs don't stay still while being zapped and if they don't get it all they can't go back and zap again.

Best,    DennisT

I would get a second opinion on not being able to repeat the treatment.  Sounds fishy.  Maybe he needs a new set of golf clubs and surgery makes more money than the zapping machine.

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 06:44:49 PM »
My wife had two spots in her lungs, turned out to be blood clots. They got loose and killed her.. Lost her the 25th of Jan... Blood thinners only delayed the loss.. Two strokes back to back.
Ty Marcucci

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2024, 09:05:35 AM »
My wife had two spots in her lungs, turned out to be blood clots. They got loose and killed her.. Lost her the 25th of Jan... Blood thinners only delayed the loss.. Two strokes back to back.

Good Morning Ty,
   So sorry to hear of your wife's passing. I think she was with you once or twice as we crossed paths through the years, once I know when I met you at a hotel out in St. Charles top pick up a kit from you and I met her then.
  With Deepest Sympathies!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 01:11:40 PM »
Ty,
Sorry for your loss. In my thought and prayers.

I have been weighing the options and it seem that surgery is the quickest, fasts recovery and most definitive approach. Radiation takes 5 -8 wks, treatment is 10min, 5 days per week, then follow-up. I guess the biggest risk with surgery is you don't come out. For me I am in general good health and did OK the last two time I was under so seems like a small risk. To complicate things a little more we are looking to move the NC and the selling window for our house is spring. I have been packing the shop but there is a lot to get done. I have to make the call this week so still thinking but leaning toward surgery. Please put me back on the pray list.

Best,  DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 09:35:33 AM »
I have decided to go with the surgery. I discussed the options with my oncologist and what they advised if because I am in very good health and this spot is only in one location and very early detection, is not obstructed by anything it is as good as you can get for an operation.

I did my pre-op yesterday and all is great. I go in Friday morning and the festivities begin a 1pm. The plan is then to get me up and moving around on Saturday, take out all tubes/I Vee's and if stable go home Sunday in time for the Daytona 500. They said could be up and around close to normal in about a week. Will type at you later.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Donald R Olson

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 10:20:25 AM »
Dennis good luck with the surgery.
I am going thru a similar thing. I had a colonoscopy a day after Christmas. They found a tumor in my colon. Did a CT scan after that and found a tumor in my lung. After multiple scans, biopsies, and doctor consults, they think it is two separate cancers. I will have a colon resection Mar 5th and as soon as I have recovered from that I will have the surgery on my lung as well. My pre-op is Thursday. As you said I should have paid attention earlier. In my case I should have had the colonoscopy 10 years ago and I would be far better off. So, if you are 45 or older have a colonoscopy. Anyone with the nerve to pull out of a vertical dive at 5’ off the ground can handle a look up the butt.
I think you made the right choice of surgery vs radiation. Keep us posted on your recovery and I will keep you in my prayers.
Don

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 07:45:40 PM »
  Dennis  hoping you do well with upcoming operation.
  Ty sorry about your wife.
  Dennis I had brain cancer 25 years ago from cancer spreading  from my ear. They told me I would know in a month if it was fatal. Test showed fingers of it but no tumor ever formed. I started to loose my balance soon after all this and I  lost a big part of my memory over the years. Well I am still here at 83 and ride a bike twice a week. You seem to have a positive outlook and that has a lot to do with recovery.
Ed

Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 02:27:34 AM »
Get a second opinion from somebody you trust.
I personally do not trust the medical community as a whole as they are run by the AMA and WHO. 
Sad to say.
Just glad to be here

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2024, 07:59:13 AM »
This was the second option. It confirmed that the "Spot" was 95% malignant. It is early and contained and I am feeling very healthy to be able to do the surgery. At this point the festivities are scheduled to begin tomorrow at 1pm. Plan is to do surgery Friday, get me up and moving, remove attachments on Saturday, go home Sunday or Monday. If Sunday I hope I can get home in time for the Daytona 500 (will record in case I am home later).

Best,  DennisT

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 07:43:37 PM »
Dennis,

Best of luck for your procedure.

I have a personal relationship with a lady that was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer over 25 years ago.  X-rays showed her lungs covered with spots and a growth on top of one lung.   One doctor told her to start getting her "things together".  She was convinced that she could beat it.  Did some searching and found a clinic in the LA area that offered promise of a recovery.  Some months of chemo therapy.  No sign of the cancer and she is as sassy as ever.

Keith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 07:52:05 PM »
Get a second opinion from somebody you trust.
I personally do not trust the medical community as a whole as they are run by the AMA and WHO. 
Sad to say.

I know how you feel.  AMA is focused on drones and only half the Who is left.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 09:53:10 PM »
  One thing or two to remember about doctors. They kill people everyday and get away with it. They are no different that plumbers or auto mechanics or bus drivers. Some are good at their job and some are not. Some really care about their patients and some don't. The hard part is finding the one who care and put in the effort to stay current. Three members of my immediate family might not be here today, including me, if we had followed doctors orders instead of our own common sense and instincts. Do your due diligence and trust your own intuition.
    Good luck to you,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2024, 08:40:51 PM »
Dennis, Thanks for the reminder on the Daytona 500, get well soon brother!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2024, 03:26:10 PM »
Well I completed the surgery and am home. Still a little weak but getting better.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2024, 09:14:29 AM »
Ty, Sorry about your loss.  Blood clots seems to be killing a lot of people.  It is from the drugs.  My neighbor who flew c/l, r/c and drones died from a blood clot going from his leg to his lungs.  My Mom was in the hospital 2 weeks ago for blood clots and they almost cut her foot off, but she refused and said she would rather die.  She is 90.  Both were taking Eliquis. 

Dennis, great to hear you made it through.  The offer is still good for me to make a cook out behind the church and all us get together and get some flying in.  You have been given an extension in your time on earth twice, I hope you use it wisely.

Will pray for both of you.  Rusty

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2024, 09:58:11 AM »
HI Rusty.. Mary was on Eliguis, type 2 diabetic, plus the covid shots.. Her heart beat was fibrillating and the DR said that too can cause blood clots.. 42 years we were married.  Still can't believe she is gone.
Ty Marcucci

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2024, 03:58:19 PM »
HI Rusty.. Mary was on Eliguis, type 2 diabetic, plus the covid shots.. Her heart beat was fibrillating and the DR said that too can cause blood clots.. 42 years we were married.  Still can't believe she is gone.

I am not surprised.  I had a doctor that tried to put me on Eliquis, but I read about the hundreds of millions paid in wrongful death settlements, so I refused to take it and got another doctor.   One of the clubs I am in, the president was put on Eliquis and the nearly died from internal bleeding.  He was in the hospital weeks from that.   

I know losing a spouse or child is the most painful thing that can happen.   When my Dad died, my Mom for a long time didn't even sleep in the bedroom.  She would fall asleep in the living room in a recliner.   I told her to keep in mind that it was better to have known him and go through the grieving, than not have known him.   

For what it is worth, I believe you will be with  her again. 

I pray God will give you peace and strength to get through this.

Rusty

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2024, 06:00:09 PM »
Praying you have a quick recovery Dennis and the Great Physician will heal you brother.
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2024, 07:14:13 AM »
Home from surgery a week and starting to feel much better. Everything went as planned, no complications, am once again cancer free. Not sure what the follow up plan is yet will meet with my oncologist next week. For now I am at about 85%, doing my morning walk, taking care of myself and hope to get out flying next week.

Thanks to all for the support and prayers.

Best,   DennisT

Offline EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2024, 09:41:27 AM »
That is great news Dennis, congrats on the good prognosis and recovery!
Eric

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2024, 05:32:48 PM »
Amen Dennis, glad to hear some good news! Thank you!
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2024, 10:00:13 PM »
Great news Dennis, I'm sure you're benefitting from wise choices in taking care of yourself over the years.  Just remember, you're an army of one!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 09:18:59 AM »
Hello Sir,
I just wanted to chime in with my own two cents...
Currently, my wife is fighting stage 4 malignant melanoma. 27 tumors on her brain from the size of a walnut to grains of rice with tumors of all sizes in between. Then 15 tumors on her spine (including one about the size and shape of my thumb on her spinal cord at L1) Two on her left lung, three on her liver, two inside her chest cavity. She had an malignant melanoma tumor removed from her left arm along with two lymph nodes from under her arm in October of '21. She was declared cancer free a couple months later after biopsies found no cancer in the nodes, and clear tissue from the spot on her arm.
Fast forward to the first week of February of this year. On February 5th her world turned upside down. After her left leg could no longer support her standing or walking, an MRI  revealed 7 tumors in the lumbar section of her spine.
Today: she has endured 10 targeted radiation treatments, a brain bleeding (stroke!) And is now on a medication that she will be taking the rest of her life. Not quite chemo, but a protein blocker that malignant melanoma needs to grow.
16 months ago, after an coughing fit and an MRI of her lungs, found the three "spots" on her lung. One so small, it can't be surgerically  removed.
It was dismissed as nothing to worry about after monthly scans showed it was not changing, growing.
She has been hospitalized for 40 days as I write this. She is scheduled to come home on the 22nd. Wheelchair bound since while removing the spinal cord tumor nicked her cord, losing all feeling from the waist down.
So my take on a spot on the lung? Take it as a life or death revelation! Push, insist, demand, fight tooth & nail, to get those scans! PET, MRI, CAT, ULTRASOUND, GET THEM ALL! with contrast! Now, not later. You have had cancer already. It is very possible to be lurking, hiding, growing in hard to find places. Never assume for the rest of your (all of our!) Life, because you don't feel bad, you have nothing to worry about! My wife never had so much as a headache with 27 tumors attached to her brain. Please keep us, me, updated with your progress.  You never know who's life you are saving, of course, including your own!

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2024, 09:28:29 AM »
I saw this post the day you posted it. You have not been far from my thoughts and prayers ever since.
My heart goes out to anyone fighting this fight, or anyone loving someone through it.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2024, 03:41:57 PM »
Phil,
Thanks for your prayers, and all the pray groups, so far all is good hope we got it all. Phili, sorry for what your wife is going through, she is on my pray list.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2024, 07:46:12 PM »
Phil, my son's mother (53) had a growth on her spine and got surgery on 2/2/23 and has not walked since then.  They cut some of her nerves. 

It is unbelievable to me that America wasted so much money and resources on fake COVID disease that could have been used to cure cancer.   I know at least 10 people that have cancer.  It is the epidemic.   My prostate cancer came back last year after 5 years of being cancer free.   Last Nov. it was found I had 3 tumors on my hips and got radiation on them.  My PSA went down and last month was low enough to think it was back in remission.  Well,  I got a MRI to check and I have another 20mm tumor on my hips and the week my PSA jumped back up.   Next Monday I have an appt to see if radiation will get rid of the new tumor.   It just never ends. 

Best wishes for your wife.  I will pray God is merciful on her. 

God Bless.

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2024, 03:13:23 AM »
Phil, my son's mother (53) had a growth on her spine and got surgery on 2/2/23 and has not walked since then.  They cut some of her nerves. 

It is unbelievable to me that America wasted so much money and resources on fake COVID disease that could have been used to cure cancer.   I know at least 10 people that have cancer.  It is the epidemic.   My prostate cancer came back last year after 5 years of being cancer free.   Last Nov. it was found I had 3 tumors on my hips and got radiation on them.  My PSA went down and last month was low enough to think it was back in remission.  Well,  I got a MRI to check and I have another 20mm tumor on my hips and the week my PSA jumped back up.   Next Monday I have an appt to see if radiation will get rid of the new tumor.   It just never ends. 

Best wishes for your wife.  I will pray God is merciful on her. 

God Bless.

Agreed! I guess as long as more money is flowing treating cancer then curing it, we will continue to suffer from it.
I will say this, the technology available is alot more advanced since my grandfather went through brain cancer 42 years ago! I was terrified when I heard the diagnosis of brain tumors. My grandfather's radiation treatments were barbaric. He was way over treated. Now the targeted, robotic treatments results are a near miracle in itself!

Thanks for all who are praying and sending their thoughts of healing and well being.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2024, 10:24:12 AM »
Well, I had a follow up with my oncologist team at present I am R0, as a preventive they gave me a few options. One is do nothing as see what happens. This is not the preferred option. Second, is some Chemo then immunotherapy. Not my favorite since I did the Chemo after the first surgery and the last round was tuff on my kidneys. Third is to go straight to the immunotherapy. From what I read and was told by the team this would not hurt the kidneys like the Chemo (or poison as they call it) and would help keep me at R0. Now I like the third option however there is a cost part of it that is very high.

When they ran the numbers they told me my copay would be $3000 per treatment, once a month 12 months. This was a shock and at this time would not be possible. I have Humana Medicare Advantage and after doing some internet searching found out that this treatment is not considered a prescription but an in office medical treatment covered under Part B (which the , this has a max out of pocket of $3800. I checked with Humana and they confirmed it and also had the doctor's office confirm it. That I can handle. We are also looking into support from Bristal Meyers through there discount programs, several pharmacies (they do have different pricing) and also the VA since I am a veteran.

I only post this information in case anyone in our group has to battle this and gets overwhelmed when you start looking at the cost, there are ways to help.

Best,    DennisT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2024, 10:38:09 AM »
I do hope and pray you find a resolution so you can get back to being healthy. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2024, 11:36:33 AM »
Well, I had a follow up with my oncologist team at present I am R0, as a preventive they gave me a few options. One is do nothing as see what happens. This is not the preferred option. Second, is some Chemo then immunotherapy. Not my favorite since I did the Chemo after the first surgery and the last round was tuff on my kidneys. Third is to go straight to the immunotherapy. From what I read and was told by the team this would not hurt the kidneys like the Chemo (or poison as they call it) and would help keep me at R0. Now I like the third option however there is a cost part of it that is very high.

When they ran the numbers they told me my copay would be $3000 per treatment, once a month 12 months. This was a shock and at this time would not be possible. I have Humana Medicare Advantage and after doing some internet searching found out that this treatment is not considered a prescription but an in office medical treatment covered under Part B (which the , this has a max out of pocket of $3800. I checked with Humana and they confirmed it and also had the doctor's office confirm it. That I can handle. We are also looking into support from Bristal Meyers through there discount programs, several pharmacies (they do have different pricing) and also the VA since I am a veteran.

I only post this information in case anyone in our group has to battle this and gets overwhelmed when you start looking at the cost, there are ways to help.

Best,    DennisT

That is why I have full medicare and Plan G, which is not a "advantage" plan, aka: HMO.  I pay over 400.00 a month for it, but after paying 250.00 deductible at the beginning of the year, there is no more co-pays, no more deductibles; all 100% paid.   

Best wishes Dennis. 

Rusty

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2024, 03:12:34 PM »
Rusty,
Good to hear from you. Along with going through this surgery I am working to get my shop packed for a move to Fletcher, NC. One thing, my Humana Medicare Advantage plan is a PPO, not an HMO (although there are those options). I agree that the HMO plans are restrictive and I prefer the PPO plan and being able to use any doctor in the plan network (I have not had a problem for myself or my wife). Yes, there is some copay, but it has been reasonable so far and there is no additional charge other than the regular Medicare payment that comes out of Social Security.

Anyway, I am working on getting out on the circle soon. Stay well.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2024, 07:47:38 PM »
Rusty,
Good to hear from you. Along with going through this surgery I am working to get my shop packed for a move to Fletcher, NC. One thing, my Humana Medicare Advantage plan is a PPO, not an HMO (although there are those options). I agree that the HMO plans are restrictive and I prefer the PPO plan and being able to use any doctor in the plan network (I have not had a problem for myself or my wife). Yes, there is some copay, but it has been reasonable so far and there is no additional charge other than the regular Medicare payment that comes out of Social Security.

Anyway, I am working on getting out on the circle soon. Stay well.

Best,    DennisT

That is good to hear.   PPO is the way to go.  I go to doctors all over FL; Tampa, Delray Beach, Orlando, Bradenton, Vero, Fort Pierce and Sebastian.  It is the best.  Any doctor that takes Medicare, I can go to. 

For what it is worth, my prostate cancer flared up again this month.  After the radiation in November, my PSA went down in December, January and February and then BOOM back up in March.  I have to get a special cancer scan to find where it is now.  A MRI shows it is not where it was when I got radiation.  I still have 2 more months to reach the age that it killed my Dad.  I don't care what the media says, I think CANCER is the epidemic, not COVID. 

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2024, 07:45:24 AM »
Rusty,
Hang in there, you are in my thoughts and on the pray list.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here