News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another OT...  (Read 757 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Another OT...
« on: August 07, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
Six degrees of separation

Dwayne

Re: Another OT...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:03:20 PM »
This guy is freakin hard core. lol

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »
My brother normally is either hiking in the Sierras, gliding over the Sierras, or hanging around Inyokern airport and probably knows of the project. Except it's too friggin' hot and there's not much out there that's got A/C...except the FAA's SUVs, of course. It gets hot in the hangars when the doors are all closed and locked.  :P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »
Looks like he has it all  together with electrics.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »
Looks like he has it all  together with electrics.

I'd disagree, John. If he had it all together with electrics, he wouldn't have fried his battery and barely saved his airplane limping back to Inyokern Muni from China Lake NWTC. Should have had an emergency landing location planned, IMO. I don't know if he would have been allowed to land at the NWTC or not, but I'd think there'd be a dry lake around there that would serve.

My brother is retired from the China Lake NWTC, don't know exactly what his title was, but a lead engineer on the Sidewinder missle program. Like I wrote above, he hikes, flies his glider(s) and does electrical work for the A&E mechanic at Inyokern Muni. I asked him if he knew of this guy, and got this reply:

"Yeah, there is often a parade of morons wanting to set records out there.  Usually they want volunteers to do a bunch of support work for them, always without compensation and always there are a few media-morons there too.  Everybody I know uses the basic VFR rule: "See and avoid" or even better, "Don't see and avoid also".  The local media suck it all up like a Giant Slurpee.  One previous moron was that Fawsett guy. He won't be coming back as you've heard."   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here