News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:15:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another Icon gone  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Another Icon gone
« on: June 08, 2009, 05:50:48 AM »
Joe's Hobby Shop. a fixture in Detroit since the early 30's is no more. I went Saturday to find a seizure notice on the door. What a sad end for a place that was so influential in modeling for so many years.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Another Icon gone
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 06:34:38 AM »
Oh man, that is terribly sad news.  I used to work there when I was in High School, Jack & Don Josaitis were a lot of fun wor work for, and the shop was doing real well back then...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:37:57 AM »
The only other hobby shop that we had was 10 minutes away and it went out of business.  Now the nearest hobby shop is sitting right in front of me, the computer.  The other hobby shop that I know that is in Vermont is waaaayyyyyyy down in Rutland, and I'm up towards Canada which makes it a 2 hour trip.

It's sad to see hobby shops go that have been there for so long
Matt Colan

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
Its the internet that's helping to put small shopkeepers out of business! What do you do when all you need is a tube of glue, or a can of dope quickly?

Cheers       Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
     At this point if it wasn't for the on-line hobby shops I would no longer be building model airplanes. When it comes to glue or dope at my local model shop he no longer carries dope and the glue he has set up along time ago. Oh lets talk about the balsa wood he carries, it makes better construction material for floors or large benches. Of course the poor old owner only has a half dozen or less modelers come in on any given day, but hey what do the majority of those potential modelers hear, "hey I can order that for you and it should be here in a couple of days". Well gee whiz I can do that too, and save a trip back to the store.
     It is sad, but things are not what they use to be and thank goodness for the on-line stores and specialty suppiers.   eric

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 08:00:06 PM »
Oh man, that is terribly sad news.  I used to work there when I was in High School, Jack & Don Josaitis were a lot of fun wor work for, and the shop was doing real well back then...

Were you there with Bill Shailor?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »

Were you there with Bill Shailor?

Yeah, summer of 1970 through summer 1972.  Bill and Paul Shailor worked there... in 72 or so. 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:43:03 PM »
As stated earlier, the local hobby shop has turned into the local toy shop.  I went to get some 1/2A props.  Smallest they had were 7 inch.  Was told nobody flies 1/2A anymore.  Can't even get them to carry Ambroid Glue anymore.  I still go to see if they have what I need before I go to the computor.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:06:09 AM »
Yeah, summer of 1970 through summer 1972.  Bill and Paul Shailor worked there... in 72 or so. 

Oh yeah, that's right, Paul was there too. I couldn't remember if they worked together or at different times. Good times then, Jap tissue was about .12 a sheet. and silk $3 a square yard.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:51:29 AM »

... Jap tissue was about .12 a sheet. and silk $3 a square yard.

Yeah and we had the rack with the 50 yard (?) rolls of silk in all those colors like (my dad's favorite) American Beauty Red (Pink Fink PINK!)

In the early 70's they used to do their own importation of Graupner stuff.  2-3 times a year a big oreder would come in with Graupner Cirrus and Cumulus RC sailplanes would overflow the store room.  Within a week or two they would mostly be gone as all the glider guiders in range would come by to buy us out.  Joe's became the distributorship for Model Shipways ship building supplies.  Now THAT was some extra-ordinary hardware!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 08:00:44 AM »
Yeah and we had the rack with the 50 yard (?) rolls of silk in all those colors like (my dad's favorite) American Beauty Red (Pink Fink PINK!)

In the early 70's they used to do their own importation of Graupner stuff.  2-3 times a year a big oreder would come in with Graupner Cirrus and Cumulus RC sailplanes would overflow the store room.  Within a week or two they would mostly be gone as all the glider guiders in range would come by to buy us out.  Joe's became the distributorship for Model Shipways ship building supplies.  Now THAT was some extra-ordinary hardware!

I remember the engine case in the north side of the building. Man what a dream chamber!!! I picked up a serie 71 K&B .40 for $12.95, I still have its remains and original box. I was flying gas FF back then, and that engine was IT for C gas

I bought my very first kit with myown money and the old Wyoming street store, I can still smell that place.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 11:04:53 AM »
I also have great memories of Joes from the original Delaire location on Wyoming to the "new" bldg at Wyoming and Tireman. I started the Adamisin family dynasty there. I worked the summer of 67 through 68 and was there for the Detroit riot in 68. We could se the bldgs. burning on Wyoming and had a "plan" for if the trouble reached the store. We were going to lock ourselves into the vault that served as the business office. Wow. Dennis, Alan, Marie and even Dad followed. Loved Jack and Don and there families. Jason became an important member of the team in later years. The trains, slot cars, boats and planes. The best balsa rack I've ever seen. I always knew that I was fortunate as a modeller to have that wonderfull facility so close to me. I mourn the loss and wonder if there will ever be a business model as successful in an atmospheric sense. The engine case was a marvel to a motor headed kid that loved model airplanes and the people that came with them. God's speed the "Joes" family.

Offline "Big Art"

• AMA Member
  • New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 08:27:26 AM »
My oh my what a sad state of affairs. Joe's gone it will take a while to settle in. Yeah I too worked there during the Gm 67 day strike. I was always amazed at how many strike checks I would cash. Modelers must model even if they go hungry. Every Mon morning I would rearrange the engine display when people came in things were in a different place which meant they would take more time to look. Yes often they would buy something they they had not seen before.
I remember Christmas rush how many times people were 5 deep waiting to cash out. The thing I remember the most is if you wanted something that was the place to get it. If they didn't have it you didn't need it. Anything and everything could be found there. The Josiatis family were great people. It was also fun to go to the distrubutor Joe Dalliare the original owner when it was on Wyoming. Sad but we dont have too many places we can go to easily anymore.
Nankin and Prop shop comes too mind. WE have Ryder's but it has become a hardware store all that's needed to put a plane together is a screw driver and allen wrench. I guess today shopping on line is easier but I don't believe it's better.

So sad

"Big Art" Adamisin

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 08:38:49 AM »
Big Art,

Welcome aboard!

Ward-O
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here