News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:23:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another day...  (Read 1314 times)

Offline John Castle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • The Bent Pin
Another day...
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »
Another broken prop...
Learning to fly inverted is harder than it looks. I think I got my down up <=
Anyway the plane will live to fly another day. :) 

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Another day...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
  Avoid the whole "down is up and up is down" by thinking pf the model in terms of "top and bottom." No matter what the orientation of the airplane, the top and bottom is always the same. If you are upside down, and getting too low, give it "bottom control." It helps me and others to hold my hand and handle parallel to the ground also, but the handle will still have bottom and top to it.
   Good luck and have fun,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »
Hello

I agree that using the "top and bottom" mindset is a big help..    If all your breaking is props your learning better than I did !!!!!

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline james dean

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
  • Rebel with a cause AMA 467575
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
John,

I feel ya on this one!   I used to tell myself to remember that when inverted, "my pinky pulls up".  Just a thought. ;)

James

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
Best way to learn inverted flight is to stretch out lazy eights.  On the back side you're already thinking "down" to turn it back over, just wait a second or two, then 3 or 4, before giving it that "down".  Don't think of it as inverted flying, just think of stretched-out eights. Pretty soon you'll be going most of a lap before turning it back over, then you're almost there.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
I think its been said here before, if you turn the handle sideways, palm up, its very hard to give "up" when the handle is in this position, and if you stop turning with the model it automatically climbs from iverted!
A lot of modellers say this is a bad habit to get into, I've been flying inverted this way for 40 odd years, I,m not a brilliant pilot but I can fly smooth laps inverted this way, and I don't think I've crashed one inverted! every other way though!   ;D

Cheers       Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
When I learned, I did the handle tilt thing. Still kinda do. I fly with the handle tilted to the left upright and to the right inverted. Not sidewise, but just tilted.

Are you coming to Portland this weekend? We can help you there.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:45:17 PM »
Best way to learn inverted flight is to stretch out lazy eights.  On the back side you're already thinking "down" to turn it back over, just wait a second or two, then 3 or 4, before giving it that "down".  Don't think of it as inverted flying, just think of stretched-out eights. Pretty soon you'll be going most of a lap before turning it back over, then you're almost there.

What minnesotamodeler said.  Your comfort level is raised because 1) all turns start upward, away from the ground, 2) having to wait only a second or two longer than the last time to complete the lazy eight and get back into level flight is MUCH better than "how long can I go inverted before I crash?", 3) progress can be just as gradual and conservative as you like--even it takes you 50 lazy eights to fly one complete lap inverted, you still have a plane in one piece and you are ABOVE ALL having fun!, and finally 4) by the time you start to get comfortable with lazy eights and inverted flight, you are 3/4 of the way to doing an outside loop the EASY way--NOT the way I tried learning them, by the Kamizake Method, where you start up high, dive toward the ground, lose your nerve, and splatter your plane all over the field.  The lazy eight way is MUCH easier and better.   y1  <=

Hope this helps,
Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 07:53:42 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try :D
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 02:51:42 AM »
It's a bit like putting a man on the moon... everyone thinks its easy.  A lot of people also think Control line looks easy but how many of them can actually do it.     Keep on trying... you'll get the hang of it with practice.
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here