News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:36:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Amphibious Control line  (Read 1691 times)

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Amphibious Control line
« on: February 11, 2021, 05:54:16 PM »
Gotta watch! Pretty cool!

Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
Re: Amphibious Control line
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 06:54:44 PM »
Having fun I love it.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 07:46:59 PM »
That is way too cool! I wonder if they land R/C planes on the "carrier?" I couldn't help but to think of Gary Weaver; I'm sure you all remember him. As best I remember, he claimed to of flown an amphibious C/L model while standing on a tree stump in the middle of a pond.  LL~
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 09:21:12 PM »
 The title of this thread reminded me of this video I stumbled across a few years ago, some really cool old models here...

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 03:54:34 AM »
Vern Clements, the J. Roberts Flight Control man, flew C/L over water many years ago - there's quite an entertaining account in Ron Moulton's Control Line Manual, including inverted flying low enough to kick up a plume of spray from the fin!  His model had a pair of very long floats, almost as long as the fuselage itself.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 10:08:44 AM »
  Looks like he needs to move the floats forward a bit more. Notice the location of the floats on the VERY nice scale models in Wayne's video? They are pretty much scale to their full scale counterparts. A couple of those scale models were hauling pretty good! I think there was some coverage in one of the magazines of this event in Italy. Nice trophies also! looks like a lot of effort was put in and had lots of support.
  There is an old movie about bush pilots called "Captains of the Clouds"  with James Cagney in it and has lots of footage of classic bush planes on floats. Gonna go pop that in the DVD player I think!  And the "Spitifre" with David Niven. Lots of actual Schneider Cup footage in that movie about RJ Mitchel and the development of the Spitfire!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »
Both videos amazing!! Also amazing - the flat calm of the water, particularly in Varese. Even the raft sequence showed no wind ripples.

I wonder what the guy on the raft would do if he had to back up across the raft's beam...

The Schneider 'Races' were timed runs. Can you imagine if they were multi-plane races, with mandatory pit stops? Worse - a model event on the same basis?

Fins and SCUBA  for the pit men?

Olympic Gold Medalist swimmers to get to the plane faster for refuel/restart?

... the pilot's circle knee-deep during a heat ?

I wonder how that certain few engines enjoyed their sudden cold dunk from high RPM...

I could identify several of the planes modeled, and at least one engine looked like a TD .15. Another was a diesel - I saw the "wind-up key" on top.

Thanks for these! Now, can anyone compose and dub in a more relevant sound track? (And, next time, maybe a bit better lighting for the young lady??)
\BEST\LOU

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 03:08:24 PM »
That was my thought Lou. To drink or not to drink. LOL. I have enough trouble standing on land flying. Standing on that thing would be something else. Really neat to watch though.
Jim Kraft

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 02:36:43 AM »
Looks like fun!  Reminds me of the Earl Cayton "Aquabat" from 1954 Flying Models; every now and then I still get the urge to try it ...  https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3456

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 05:55:10 AM »
   There is an old movie about bush pilots called "Captains of the Clouds"  with James Cagney in it and has lots of footage of classic bush planes on floats.

James Cagney was flying a Noorduyn Norseman on floats, my favorite old time bush plane. The foremost, 'gotta build one' (rubber scale) on my list.

Ara

P.S. Glenn Miller was accidentally killed in a Norseman while being flown across the English channel to entertain the troops during WWII. The pilot strayed into a bomb disposal area and was struck by falling bombs. These zones were used by bombers to unload their remaining ordinance after a mission.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »
Cox did a version of it’s little Cub with floats and skis.  Both worked. We demoed the floats after a rainstorm in a puddle at the Nats that year. 😃
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »
    James Cagney was flying a Noorduyn Norseman on floats, my favorite old time bush plane. The foremost, 'gotta build one' (rubber scale) on my list.

Ara

P.S. Glenn Miller was accidentally killed in a Norseman while being flown across the English channel to entertain the troops during WWII. The pilot strayed into a bomb disposal area and was struck by falling bombs. These zones were used by bombers to unload their remaining ordinance after a mission.

I am a fan of the Norseman also and aware of it in the movie and such. No shortage of some very nice Wacos either !!There is a plastic kit of the Norseman out there that comes with decals of the very plane that Miller was on. There are usually a few at Oshkosh each year. I met one guy that had a very nice example, and he told me the story of how he financed it with a zero percent interest credit card scheme!! He was quite the character! I think there is still a very high percentage of all the Norseman that were produced that are still in existence and airworthy!  A GREAT airplane!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here