News:

• May 03, 2024, 10:04:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Amazing what a little light can do  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Amazing what a little light can do
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
We were at Lowe's today to pick up some stuff for the house. While in the lighting section, I decided that a bit more light in the shop couldn't hurt. I've got 6 4' florescent lights in there, but one had died and bulbs were out in two more, so I picked up 3 new fixtures and a pile of 4' florescent tubes (they were on sale). Weirdly, the light fixtures were black (instead of the usual white - go figure). Anyway, I replaced the dead fixture and all the burned out bulbs and put in two new fixtures directly over the work benches.

Amazing effect. I can actually see in there now. Very cool. I'm going back tomorrow to get some new fixtures for another section of the shop where I have my drawing table and such.

Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Amazing what a little light can do
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:35:30 AM »
HOW TRUE! And the older I get the more the extra light is needed!

My shop downstairs is about 400 sq ft and I have seven (7) of the 4-bulb recessed light fixtures in it. It's great! CLP**

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:08:48 AM »
I'd do that too but I'm afraid that I might actually see the quality of my workmanship... :-[

Phil

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:19:14 AM »
Randy,
       Try using one cool bulb and one warm bulb in the florescent fixture. It gives the most natural sunlight for good color viewing.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:27:14 AM »
Today, I installed some more lights out there. A dome light in the little dormer where I keep my TV and "mancave" stuff and an odd sort of circular track light thing I got at Lowe's over the drafting table. Seems like that should work real well.

Fun stuff, upgrading the shop a bit.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:02:57 PM »
I have a 10' x 20' prefab shed that I insulated and added electrical to. I have 5 4' flourescent fixtures and a total of 32 electrical outlets 7, 4 ways and 2, 2 ways in the overhead. No extension cords needed there is a plug in within arms reach where ever you stand plus an ceiling fan and an exhaust fan on one end.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »
Yea, I also have a lot of plug-ins, though I want to move a couple from the wall to the front of the bench (I did this on most benches, but missed a couple). I also want to get some rubber horse stall mats to put down. they are 2" thick rubber and are hard enough, but with give to make standing for long periods of time easier.

Just another upgrade I want to do. Some paint would be nice, too. Maybe this summer.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 10:30:08 PM »
Reading about the Flourescent fixtures being black reminded me of an instance at work maybe 15 years ago.  A project I was on at work involved a line of LED indicator lights in a reflective housing.  We went through a large number of iterations for the reflector, first settling on the best shape, which was the easiest part, then went through all kinds of gymnastics trying to get a good reflective surface to project the most light through legend filters and a smoked plastic sheild.  Tried all kinds of white surface coatings, silvered coatings, whatever we could find.  One day, the boss brought a new concept to me and had me do some light level measurements.  Turns out after all the things we tried, the best thing was the plaine, undyed, uncoated black plastic.  Not only did it do the best job of reflecting the available light, it cost less than 1/2 what any other approach did.
Tony

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here