News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:36:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMA/ Nats grass field upgrade  (Read 982 times)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AMA/ Nats grass field upgrade
« on: July 13, 2021, 07:22:37 AM »
Tom Dixon is spearheading a campaign to get concrete center pads poured on the three north grass circles we use for practice and holding the Nats unofficial events.  He is getting positive buy in from Chad at AMA .  “WE” will pay for the work.  Tom is throwing some cash at it and I’m in for a couple hundred.  Who else will help us?

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
Re: AMA/ Nats grass field upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 08:21:36 AM »
Colleen and I  in also.
Joe Gilbert

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 09:53:45 AM »
Dave
I'm in.
Jim

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 12:37:46 PM »
Although I will probably never get to attend the site, I’ll send a few $$ as I enjoy the annual intrigue seeing the activities at the Nats. (only made it once in 1977)
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 02:14:44 PM »
I can toss in a few bucks. Where and when do we send the loot? H^^ I hope we don't get pins and paper plaques like the AMA sent me after donating to the museum many years ago. All that cost more than my donation. LL~ LL~
Ty I don’t know if that has been sorted.  I’ll get ahold of Tom and let everyone know.

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 03:34:38 PM »
Count me in for a few bucks.  I haven't made the Nats since 1964 but it is numbers 1 - 5 on my bucket list.
Will someone involved have a PayPal account or Zelle maybe?
Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
  I'm in too if that's what it takes. I want to thank Joe Gilbert, Tom Dixon, and you Dave for talking it up with Chad Budreau about the circle centers. I think it may happen!!
       Doug   

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 05:24:09 PM »
   Our club put in two new center pads for our carrier circle a few years ago, a 6 foot pad and 9 foot diameter pad, and total cost of the Quick-Crete, mixer rental and such came to about $500 all in and the club did the work. We put these right on top of the old ones that had sunk into the ground so they had a good base already and just tossed in any kind of wire mesh anyone could find for re-enforcement. I'm guessing that if they have them professionally done it would be about $1000 to $1500 per pad. I would make the pads as large as practical. Maybe 8 to 9 feet diameter to allow for some room to step back, and 4" thick. Make them slightly above grade and back fill up to the edge to remove trip hazard, and make them have a slight crown to them so they drain when it rains. Broom finish to prevent slipping when they do get wet. If they are gonna do it, do it right!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 07:38:07 PM »
Count me in!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 06:35:56 AM »
Any improvement to the 600x600 grass pad will have to meet the approval of the primary users: RC. The proposal to add concrete center pads that has been made several times in the past was always denied since the concrete pads would damage the tow lines for the RC soaring users.

Good luck!
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 07:50:31 AM »
Hi Bill.  There is already positive feedback from Chad (Executive Director) about this.  It IS on just a narrow strip of that field so shouldn’t be too much in the way of other stuff.  I will admit perhaps a bit of the willingness to help may have been triggered by a few of us getting on to Chad about something else while he visited us on the field.  Also the understanding that the resurface of the LPad (used by a lot of RC too) was paid for by a CL member’s estate. We are also offering to pay for most if not all of these new improvements ourselves,  not asking the AMA EC to cough up the dough.  I don’t know what it will take to get work at McCool- I’d guess more lobbying and perhaps trying to help fund them.  I’d probably try pulling together the groups who use that site and work up a joint plan....

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 08:42:14 AM »
There are pads already there for combat.
Joe Gilbert

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 08:55:47 AM »
There are pads already there for combat.
Joe, those pads are NOT on the 600x600 as I understsand, but off go the west in the raw land. It was proposed many years ago to put them on the 600x600 and it was shot down due to the multi-use of that pad, but off to the side was o.k.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here