News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Always A Builder  (Read 389 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Always A Builder
« on: April 02, 2024, 06:26:39 AM »
I wonder how many are or know of people that have lost their ability to fly but continue to build? I have a friend, a member of this group that has said because of worsening balance problems he doubts if he'll ever fly the pattern again let alone even stand in the circle. For many of us building is a major enjoyment that fulfils much of our lives. I have tried to encourage him to continue to build while I've yet to grasp the feeling of knowing I may never fly the model. Your thoughts?

Steve

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Always A Builder
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 06:30:01 AM »
I have continued to build, and my flying days are limited as my back hurts too much by the 10th maneuver.  I just wish the darn thing would land. LL~ LL~I'm 83, thinking I'm 19.. Body just laughs. D>K
Ty Marcucci

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 06:58:46 AM »
If I ever get to the point that I can't physically turn round and round to fly the pattern, I'll probably go back to building stick and tissue free flight models.

I'm also learning to be a judge for CL stunt.  I could do that even if I can't fly the pattern anymore.

I would imagine that some (many?) of those who can't fly any more, either were judges already or will learn to be a judge. 

If you can't fly anymore, but could be a judge, I encourage you to contact Steve Smith or Mark Weiss, or Mark Overmier.  They are developing a standardized method of training judges.

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 08:46:44 AM »
I HAVE A BACK UP PLAN...I FLY RC SO I DONT HAVE TO DO CIRCLES TO FLY...I USE TO FLYS ALL TYPES OF CONTROL LINE IN THE 50'S AND 60'S AND JUST STARTED BACK FLYING CONTROL LINE AND HAVE BALANCE PROBLEMS SO IM LIMITED TO WHAT MANUVERS I CAN DO NOW...
AMA 21449

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 12:16:13 PM »
Well the old DOC here would love to get back to building.  I have made some room for me by giving planes away to people who will fly them.  So far I have received videos of my Ringmaster Imperial being flown and getting thanks for it.   I still have planes that have not flown and need some tender care to get them ready.  The wife is upset that I'm not getting any money for them.  I asked her how is she going to get money for them?  Now the kits I will have a price on them when I get them organized with a price tag.  So keep watch on here. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 12:17:54 PM »
Well the old DOC here would love to get back to building.  I have made some room for me by giving planes away to people who will fly them.  So far I have received videos of my Ringmaster Imperial being flown and getting thanks for it.   I still have planes that have not flown and need some tender care to get them ready.  The wife is upset that I'm not getting any money for them.  I asked her how is she going to get money for them?  Now the kits I will have a price on them when I get them organized with a price tag.  So keep watch on here. D>K

By the way I think I could fly if family would help me by using a swivel chair.  Just need a way to get things to the field. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 01:07:56 PM »
My time came several years ago. Last flight of my barnstormer. Took off and could barley stand and turn. My problem is neuropathy, legs don't work to well. I can still drive but getting out is very difficult. Sold all my stuff but I have trinkets still left.  The pain of watching others fly is very great. I have been in this hobby starting on 1947. 77 years.
   I have met some wonderful people through the years, to those friends I say thank you. I have also upset some, to those is say, ....

Dick 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here