News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:05:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Almost ready to start the final step and ugly-it-up  (Read 632 times)

Offline Miotch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Almost ready to start the final step and ugly-it-up
« on: March 13, 2023, 01:55:29 PM »
The tribute to my dad's Starduster Too is getting close.  So far, it has went as well as I could have hoped, although if I had to do it again, I would change almost every single thing on it.  But scratch building is always a learning experience.  Almost ready for primer, sanding, more sanding, and paint.  I honestly don't know if I have enough SGM silkspan left to cover the flaps.  May have to raid an old kit and use some GM on it.   I really have enjoyed this, but I'll admit I do not enjoy the finish work and painting, especially when I'm going to mimic a rather intricate three-color paint scheme.   Oh well.  I've experimented with a lot of new techniques (for me) on this build and will probably experiment with some more as I'm finishing and painting it.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Almost ready to start the final step and ugly-it-up
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 03:18:42 PM »
Looks gorgeous...!

I hope your "flight time to build time ratio" ends up being about 500 to 1. H^^

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 06:25:20 AM »
Looks gorgeous...!

I hope your "flight time to build time ratio" ends up being about 500 to 1. H^^

Ha !!  As long as it has taken me to get this far, there may not be enough hours of daylight left in my life for that.

I almost hate to start finishing it, because that is where I really start to screw things up.  Oh well, it isn't going to paint itself.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 10:02:59 AM »
If you finish it half as good as you built it you will be fine. Plenty of help from guys on the forum. All the best, you can do it!

Kevin.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 10:51:39 AM »
Ha !!  As long as it has taken me to get this far, there may not be enough hours of daylight left in my life for that.

I almost hate to start finishing it, because that is where I really start to screw things up.  Oh well, it isn't going to paint itself.

When I first got into the hobby [at about age 30] there was a tiny hobby shop I liked to visit [SIG'S HOBBIES in Everett] because the Old Guy who ran the place...ran it like it was his work shop.
He always had good used engines for sale, old model magazines for 10 cents and dozens of model planes hanging from the rafters
He always had a project that was a work in progress for all to see.
He was probably in his late 70s back then and the quality of his "finish work" was....pretty awful to be blunt.
But he loved building and flying and he did it all....C/L RC and FF.
Now that I'm approaching his age with about 1/2 the visual acuity that I once had...I better understand the difficulties that "Old Man Sig" dealt with.
So that's the "finishing lesson" I learned from hanging out with Mister Sig.
Do your best and go have fun.!

Online Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 02:44:33 PM »
Nicely done Mitch, I remember Elmo flying that like it was yesterday. Looks like It is setting in front of Johnny Boutellers hangers there at  Riverside.  Welll done Mitch!
Joe Gilbert

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here