News:

• May 03, 2024, 04:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock New Year  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Alfred Hitchcock New Year
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »
We had a bizarre New Year in our little Arkansas town.  Every evening at dusk about a million or more black birds appear at a pine tree grove in our little town.  The sky literally turns black as you watch the birds shifting in flight and changing directions.  I have seen many people come just to take pictures of the rather large and odd sight of so many birds.  On New Years Eve something happened.  At around 11:30 they took flight and started falling from the sky.  My parents house was covered with birds as well as the yard and street.  They still aren't sure what caused the event and probably never know.  I guess that's one way to make the National News.  As long as they get my flying sight cleared up pretty soon...
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Alfred Hitchcock New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
That would be bad if they flew thru your circle as you did a wing over. <=
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
I don't know Ty.  I'm going to apply for a large government grant to make an indepth study.  I'll get back to you 8)
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
Maybe it was the Swine Flu or Avian Flu? Being in Arkansas, I'd think in terms of Razorback flu, but y'all got lots of chickum farms down der.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:12:33 AM »
No chickens farms here or near here.  Maybe it was a "Sugar Rush"?
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:12 AM »
Global Warming, call Al Gore.  I hope this isn't too politcal
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 05:41:22 AM »
We have had the black bird problem, not the SR-71, around the Paducah KY and Metropolis IL area for many years with no solution in sight, but they are in sight.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
It wasn't me.  I went to school in Texas and Arkansas and was deemed "Not Qualified" to count ??? 
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 06:04:58 PM »
It was someone testing a new fuel that got the birds.  Then the excess was dumped in the streams.  LL~ LL~  Of course come May according to the fanatics we won't have to worry about it anyway.   Thought it was supposed to be 2012. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:10 PM »
Maybe Doc.  I use all synthetic with an ounce of Aerolube.  I thought that would be enougn.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 06:33:40 AM »
They took off in a very cold wind, forgot to pull the carb heat and all froze to death in flight. Mother nature has her way to cull the flock.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Saw it on the news. My first thought was now if only it could happen here to all the pigeons. LL~ LL~
Exactly what I told my wife....wings iced up LL~ What really cracked me up is when one female commentator guessed that a big noise had frightened the birds into flight and they crashed into one-another! n~ LL~ LL~ LL~ Zuriel, you need to move down here where the weather hovers above the freezing mark most days.  ;)
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 07:50:59 AM »
We had a bizarre New Year in our little Arkansas town.  Every evening at dusk about a million or more black birds appear at a pine tree grove in our little town.  The sky literally turns black as you watch the birds shifting in flight and changing directions.  I have seen many people come just to take pictures of the rather large and odd sight of so many birds.  On New Years Eve something happened.  At around 11:30 they took flight and started falling from the sky.  My parents house was covered with birds as well as the yard and street.  They still aren't sure what caused the event and probably never know.  I guess that's one way to make the National News.  As long as they get my flying sight cleared up pretty soon...
Zuriel,
I was going to tell you that your area made the news here in Springfield, but also saw it on National news this mourning.  I don't buy the reason they gave on the Sprinfield station that fireworks on New Years Eve is the culprit.  I think it must be the extra electrons flying from somebody flying a super secret electric CL down there. #^

James
AMA 491167

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:11:22 AM »
Hi James,

I was a little worried about you guys too that day with the nasty weather.  The thing the media isn't touching on is that few birds are still falling in the neighborhood.

As for an electric project...I have a new glo driver!!!

Zuriel 
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
Hi James,

I was a little worried about you guys too that day with the nasty weather.  The thing the media isn't touching on is that few birds are still falling in the neighborhood.

As for an electric project...I have a new glo driver!!!

Zuriel 
Zuriel,

We had some serious wind and rain but the funnels went NE of us.

James
AMA 491167

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:16 AM »
Well someone by the name of Tom sent me this for the answer to the birds dying.   LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:28 AM »
That is the most sensible explanation I have seen to date.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 06:33:46 AM »
I heard on late night news that NAACP is coming to Arkansas to investigate why no
red birds, blue birds, or white birds were killed in Beebe on New Year’s Eve.  LL~

Offline mike hartung

• aeronut
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 09:27:49 AM »
Did all the kids in town get BB guns for Christmas?? lol y1
blue skys and tail winds to all.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »
Most of the kids here probably already have a BB gun or larger, and are taught from an early age to respect them and not shoot them after dark.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:44:29 AM by Zuriel Armstrong »
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
Gravity(def.) What goes up...must come down LL~ ;D

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Alfred Hitchcock New Year (long)
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 04:39:11 PM »
Strange things been happening here also.. One is actually model airplane related..

I use a paint stand with a fixture attached to the engine mounts. Getting ready to paint a new sport profile I squirted some dope on the nose that would be covered by the holder, the idea was to let it dry overnight, install the holder then paint the rest of the airplane. Went out the next day and couldn't believe it but the dope I squirted on the nose wasn't dry.  I inadvertently picked it up by the nose and it was tacky as if I had just painted it. While I was at it I had also painted a few other parts all of which were dry as expected.

Not being sure what was going on and thinking I would have to use thinner to get the sticky dope off I sat the airplane down and got involved in something else. Came back a little while later and the dope was dry every place I had touched it but was still tacky where I hadn't. Well being logical I just ran a finger over all the tacky dope and sat it back down. An hour later all the dope was dry enough to be able to sand the finger prints out. The base on the nose was the same as the rest of the airplane and the only place that had the problem was the nose. Why did simply touching it make it dry. Magic......

2nd weird thing involved my Caravan. Went out to my 94 Dodge Caravan the other day headed for town to meet a friend for lunch. Well the durn thing refused to start, cranked fine just no start. The friend came over and we did a little quick troubleshooting and determined it had no spark. It was cold and I didn't feel like messing with it so just let it sit till the next day.

Pushed it into my shop and started looking to see if I could locate the two common sensors (CAM and Crank) that are typically the first items to check. First I noticed the connector with the wire cut right where it enters the connector, it was still plugged into the harness. Looking farther I see a 3 inch piece of wire laying on top of the transaxle housing. This ended up being the connector and pigtail from the crank sensor, it was also cut/broken right at the sensor.

So OK, I drove the van to where it was parked two days prior and it won't run without the crank sensor. The cuts were clean and sharp, there is nothing in the local that could have moved and cut the wire. If I had driven over something that might have snagged the wire, why would the piece of wire still be just laying on top of the transaxle.

At first I suspected some critter but the wire has no teeth marks and was covered in dirty oil from a leak that isn't worth fixing on a van with 250k on the clock. Can't imagine any critter chewing on an oil soaked wire. It's kinda like something heavy was dropped straight down on the wire, cutting it at the connector and pulling it apart at the sensor. The sensor end isn't a clean cut like the one at the connector. Whatever it was it was gone when I moved the van.

Another theory is someone sneak down our 1000 ft drive just to sabotage my van. I really doubt it.. Everyone I know is aware I keep loaded guns within reach and with a concealed carry permit, usually have one on my person. The drive has a camera with motion sensor and we know anytime anything comes down the drive day or night. The chime sets the dog off which will wake us if we are asleep. I really doubt someone got to the van without me knowing it and I was here from the time I parked it till I tried to start it.

Weird things happening.... Gremlins, Zombies or space invaders?

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:24 PM »

I have been feeding birds in my back yard for some time now and this last few days we are seeing birds of a type we have never seen around here. Word gets out. LL~
Me too Ty, and I've got 4 Eurasian Ringneck Pigeons coming to mine. They started coming here last year...have a real cool song during the spring/summer/fall months.  ;D

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »
Hey Bob- don't have a clue about the dope not drying till you gave it the "Midas Touch", but the broken wire on the sensor near the lower part of the engine may have been from ice build-up, if you've been driving in snow / slush. Once you pushed it in the shop the ice could have melted away and just left the wire laying there.

Lived for many years in North Dakota and have seen some strange things happen when the mecury drops past the single digits, and even more when it gets down around -30!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »
It was all caused by George Bush and Sarah Palin.

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 06:49:54 PM »
Hey Bob- don't have a clue about the dope not drying till you gave it the "Midas Touch", but the broken wire on the sensor near the lower part of the engine may have been from ice build-up, if you've been driving in snow / slush. Once you pushed it in the shop the ice could have melted away and just left the wire laying there.

Lived for many years in North Dakota and have seen some strange things happen when the mecury drops past the single digits, and even more when it gets down around -30!

That's probably a logical explanation, the roads were snow covered last time I drove it before it wouldn't start. I decided to take a back road that hadn't had much traffic and had to drive around 4 cars that were off in the ditch.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here