News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:36:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AKROMASTER PUSHRODS  (Read 819 times)

Offline raby fink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
AKROMASTER PUSHRODS
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
I bought some 12 inch threaded pushrods for my Akromaster today and when I got home I found that they are one inch two short. Will it be possible for me to solder an extension to make it long enough? I know I can get it straight when I solder it, but my concern is will it hold. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks
RAby

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Re: AKROMASTER PUSHRODS
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »
Another solution instead of soldering the rods together would be to use the threaded rods as the ends of a wooden or carbon rod. Since you bought threaded rod I will assume you are going to use threaded clevises on the ends to attach the pushrod to the bellcrank and elevator horn. A rod constructed as described below will be lighter than using full length threaded rod.

For wooded pushrod you would cut 2 pieces of your threaded rod approx 3" long, one for each end. Get a nice straight stiff wooden dowel ( 3/16" or 1/4" diameter) to make the body of the push rod.

Drill a hole about 1" from each end, then make a groove from the hole to the end of the rod to accept the threaded rod end. You can usually scribe the groove into the dowel with an awl or small punch.

Bend a 90 degree leg 1/4" long in each threaded piece to engage the hole and allow the rod end to lay in the groove. Glue the rod into the dowel, then wrap the end of the assy in strong thread or leadout wrapping wire and then smear glue over the wire wrapped rod end to ensure it stays put.

A carbon tube can be subsituted for the wooden dowel, but the rod is inserted inside the tube and the bend at the end goes through the tube from inside to outside.

You then make a plug with a groove in it for the threaded rod and push that down inside the tube to secure the rod, you put some epoxy or slow cure CA inside the tube right befor you insert the plug to secure it in place.

It is also recommended that you either wrap the end of the tube in thread or wire like the wooden one, or place an aluminum or brass sleeve around the end of the tube to prevent splitting.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here