News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:04:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airfoil Question  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Airfoil Question
« on: November 30, 2006, 11:58:02 AM »
I have been reading some of the recent posts on foam wings regarding weighting down the wings after they have been cored.  It seems everone agrees, myself included, that this could cause the airfoil shape to be changed.  While reading some older Stunt News last night, I came across the pictures of Todd Lee's Mustang with the caved in ribs.  I know the leading edge retained it's shape, but after the high point the ribs are caved in.  So what is the big deal on rib/airfoil shapes?  I do not intend to change the symmetry of the airfoil or anything drastic like that.  I also assume weighting down the foam wings may not change the airfoil evenly.  Todd did do very well with this airplane and it made me wonder what the big deal is.

Thanks,
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Airfoil Question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:21:01 PM »
Hi Zuriel
You noticed Todd's Sooper Sekrit airfoil....!!!!  Been a lot of comments on that over the years...   No, it doesn't seem to matter, but then he can wiggle that handle better than most....    ;D   And no, the airfoil wasn't planned that way!
Jim   ;D   

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 02:29:52 PM »
Howdy Jim,

I was hoping you would see this one.  I've seen videos of his flights and, like you said, he can wiggle the handle pretty well.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 02:46:13 PM »
Zuriel
Actually, to comment on your original comment,  I will put the newly sheeted foam wing in the original cradles with weights on them and a board to spread the load...  this would be done before the wing is cored.  Actually, I think its easier to core a sheeted foamie than one that is not yet sheeted.  If the wing is cored before sheeting, weithing it after sheeting I think could cause a change in the airfoil shape.
Jim

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 05:43:15 PM »
Myself after sheeting a foam wing after it was cored, it wound up in the trash.  After that I never cored one until all the sheeting had been put on.  But, it has been awhile since I have done a foam core.  I tried my own method of lost foam wing after seeing Bob's video.  It is great if you are going to use the same wing on every plane after that.  Also I never did put a ply spar in any of my wings.  Just had glass cloth and epoxy over the center section joint.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 10:12:54 AM »
Ty
Todd did a standard foam wing, but sheeted it like it was a D-tube with capstrips...   then a standard triple core horizontally plus vertically cored where the open bays are....    It did remove some weight....   and with the passage of time the dope kept pulling and the wing caved in...!   Makes for an interesting conversation piece, and throws the aerodynamacists into a tizzy!!  He just grins and picks up the hardware....
Thanks
Jim   ;D   

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 11:30:14 AM »
Jim,

At least Todd still has the old Mustang "B" model with the Sooper Sekrit airfoil he can fly.  I watched him fly it many times in Florida.  Is he building a new Lost Foam "B" model to replace the one Mother Nature destroyed in '03?

Jim Pollock   :)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 11:37:25 AM »
Jim Lee wrote:
Ty
Todd did a standard foam wing, but sheeted it like it was a D-tube with capstrips...   then a standard triple core horizontally plus vertically cored where the open bays are....    It did remove some weight....   and with the passage of time the dope kept pulling and the wing caved in...!   Makes for an interesting conversation piece, and throws the aerodynamacists into a tizzy!!  He just grins and picks up the hardware....
Thanks
Jim

It makes us realize just how important the airfoil is to winning.   :)  It still boils down to the guy holding the handle, doesn't it? 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 12:59:49 PM »
 Crist,
That certainly is the location of the weakest link in the control system!

Offline Dennis Pedersen

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 06:32:27 PM »
If you have a set of cores that have been cored before sheeting just make a few wraps around the core plugs with some news print and slid them back in.This while hold the shape while you are installing the skins.I just did a set of Magnum cores in my vacum bag this way and all is fine.I built a jig to put the pilot hole through the wing to triple core after a wing has been skined and this really helps to prevent the loss of a nice new skinned wing.  ;D
Dennis Pedersen
Alberta Canada

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here