Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI  (Read 1384 times)

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AI
« on: December 30, 2023, 10:53:14 AM »
So, gentlemen, as we approach the new year why don't we consider utilizing the vast insurmountable resource of AI available to arrive at a better model airplane? Consider the requirements (demands) such as better materials, better power sources, fuels and designs to achieve the performance parameters we from experience would prefer. The technique here is not to accept the status quo but rather tap into the unimaginable resource of science and engineering layers that exists well beyond our limited understanding.

It's a thought-provoking topic, let's see where this takes us.

Steve

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: AI
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 01:01:31 PM »
I'll have to think about it..the next time the robot vacuum tries to crawl up my leg.  I really think though it wouldn't gain us much.  It would use known FULL SCALE data and practice to design a model.  That hasn't always worked in the past.  So much of what we do to get an airplane to it's peak performance is applicable to that one individual airplane (thinking of trim and power adjustments) that I don't think AI could readily solve at least until it could actually physically fly the airplane and sense all that it is doing.  What it might be better at is as a judge for pattern practice.   It may be able to describe to us our errors from video input-to the inch.  Then we might wonder if we really wanted to know.

Dave

AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 01:53:33 PM »
I'll have to think about it..the next time the robot vacuum tries to crawl up my leg.  I really think though it wouldn't gain us much.  It would use known FULL SCALE data and practice to design a model.  That hasn't always worked in the past.  So much of what we do to get an airplane to it's peak performance is applicable to that one individual airplane (thinking of trim and power adjustments) that I don't think AI could readily solve at least until it could actually physically fly the airplane and sense all that it is doing.  What it might be better at is as a judge for pattern practice.   It may be able to describe to us our errors from video input-to the inch.  Then we might wonder if we really wanted to know.

Dave

Well, don't use it for that part.  Use it to help you plan( develop a checklist for traveling to a contest), or ask it to help you write a letter or newsletter article.  I use it all the time for writing assistance.  Ask it about the procedures for using new material.  I have used it to design software or electrical circuits.  I checked it but it is pretty close to the way I would of.

use it as a calculator.   Here is an example

I asked it to compute the volume of foam to cut a wing of a known airfoil of a known span and chord.  No trial easy to do by hand.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 04:11:21 PM »
  What it might be better at is as a judge for pattern practice.   It may be able to describe to us our errors from video input-to the inch.  Then we might wonder if we really wanted to know.

Dave

If we let AI do the scoring there will be a lot of ties at 190!   LL~

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 04:57:33 PM »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 07:07:45 PM »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 02:52:58 PM »
Maybe AI could solve the mystery of the venturi/NVA, the Fox burp and where to get 4 Lb. balsa.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 07:44:00 PM »
Maybe AI could solve the mystery of the venturi/NVA, the Fox burp and where to get 4 Lb. balsa.
I asked Bing AI about the Fox burp and where to get 4 Lb. balsa.  We are smarter.  It had no clue about the burp and it directed me to this one:

https://specializedbalsa.com/products/balsa_sheets.php

Hilarious - Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 02:32:50 AM »

The Fox Burp was solved 30ish years ago, with natural intelligence. Or, supernatural, since it was Frank Williams.

Brett

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 05:30:04 AM »
It would probably tell us to blow smoke out our exhaust instead of our intake! LL~

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 08:16:28 AM »
This is interesting since we all have access to AI through Bing.  Here is part of what Bing had to say when I asked it if it could lie:

AI is capable of generating and manipulating natural language, images, sounds, and other forms of data. Some AI systems can also learn from data and adapt their behavior accordingly. This means that AI can potentially produce outputs that are false, misleading, or inconsistent with the facts that it knows or has access to.

Yet it still doesn't know what a Fox Burp is.  Was it lying?  ???

Ken

Interesting follow up.  When I went back it had omitted that question from my history so I asked it again in a slightly different form.  It deleted that one too.  When I asked it why it was omitting my questions about AI lying from my history it apologized and put that one into my log.  Priceless.  I have found the AI searches for products useful.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 08:34:17 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 10:04:52 AM »
Try ChatGPT from Microsoft, go to "getting started" and look around.

Remember the more effort spent developing the input parameters, specifics and desired format in your inquiry will produce a wider array of detail to work from. It's a process.

Steve

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 10:15:49 AM »

You can get 4 pound balsa by going to Equador and being to first person to sort through the wood. 

By the time it gets to my end of the food chain I'm digging for 9 pound stock. 

During my tour of Sig, Hazel mentioned Ricardo of Equador, Sig's dedicated wood buyer 
Paul Smith

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 01:03:51 PM »
You can get 4 pound balsa by going to Equador and being to first person to sort through the wood. 

By the time it gets to my end of the food chain I'm digging for 9 pound stock. 

During my tour of Sig, Hazel mentioned Ricardo of Equador, Sig's dedicated wood buyer 
Lately Hobby Lobby, at least our local one has had usable wood.  I got 4 sheets of warp free straight 6 lb 1/16 last week.  I can live with 6lb.

Ken
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 02:11:59 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 01:56:21 PM »
Was messing with one of the AI utilities at work today and prompted it to come up with this...... LOL (Supposed to be a Control-line Country Song).

(Verse 1)
In a field of green, where the wild wind roams,
There's a bunch of good ol' boys, with dreams to own.
With balsa wood dreams and engines that roar,
They gather 'round the circle, where the wild tales soar.

(Pre-Chorus)
They carve through the clouds, with wings of pride,
Control line rebels, in the countryside.
With wires in hand and skies to tame,
These country boys, in the model airplane game.

(Chorus)
Flying high with a country soul,
Control line stories, never get old.
Through the loops and the figure eights,
In the heart of the country, where the eagles await.

(Verse 2)
Wooden wings painted with the sun's last gleam,
They chase the horizon, living the dream.
With a handle in hand and a steady gaze,
They guide their planes in a dance of grace.

(Pre-Chorus)
In the sweet summer breeze, and the golden hour,
They feel the power, the control line power.
With laughter and cheers, as the engines whine,
Country skies witness their control line shrine.

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
Underneath the cotton candy sky,
Control line cowboys, watch 'em fly.
With a twinkle in their eyes, and a heart so free,
In the model airplane rodeo, where they long to be.

(Verse 3)
When the sun dips low, and the day's work is through,
They gather 'round the fire, under the sky so blue.
With tales of triumph and planes that glide,
Control line comrades, side by side.

(Pre-Chorus)
They're the kings of the circle, where the lines entwine,
With every twist and turn, in the grand design.
In the heart of the country, where the eagles play,
Control line cowboys, make their own runway.

(Chorus)

(Outro)
So here's to the boys with the wires in hand,
In the control line country, where they proudly stand.
With engines roaring and skies so great,
Control line cowboys, forever in flight.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 02:35:02 PM »
I get emails all the time that are sent from individuals using Chat GPT and it is very obvious.  This is dangerous to critical thinking.
Mike

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2024, 07:06:37 AM »
ChatGPT is more clever than all of us!
A friend on FB asked something about control line stunt. I copy here, (sorry for the lon-long text)
I asked Chat GPT about control line flying. It's answers were pretty good until it started borrowing from RC and told me how to roll a control line plane :
Here is it's feedback about c/l
Control line model airplanes have a rich history, dating back to the early 20th century, and continue to be enjoyed by enthusiasts of all ages. They offer a unique and hands-on way to experience the thrill of flying model aircraft.
I asked:
say more about precision aerobatics
2 / 2
ChatGPT
Precision aerobatics in the context of control line model airplanes refers to the art of performing a series of predefined and precisely executed maneuvers with a high level of skill and accuracy. Pilots aim to demonstrate control, coordination, and mastery over their model aircraft while adhering to a specific set of aerobatic maneuvers. These maneuvers are often judged for their precision, smoothness, and overall presentation. Here are some key points about precision aerobatics in control line flying:
Routine Composition: Pilots design and practice a routine that includes a sequence of aerobatic maneuvers. These routines are often set according to guidelines or rules established by model aviation organizations. Common maneuvers include loops, rolls, inverted flight, wing-overs, and combinations of these elements.
Judging Criteria: Judges assess the pilot's performance based on various criteria, including the precision of each maneuver, smooth transitions between maneuvers, consistency in altitude and speed, and overall presentation. Points are deducted for deviations from the prescribed flight path or other errors.
Difficulty Levels: Routines can vary in difficulty, with some contests featuring basic sequences for less experienced pilots and others offering more complex routines for advanced competitors. The difficulty level often depends on the skill level of the participants and the specific competition category.
Scoring System: Competitions use a scoring system to evaluate pilots' performances. Judges assign scores for each maneuver, and the cumulative score determines the overall ranking. Pilots aim for high scores by executing the routine flawlessly and with artistic flair.
Precision Instruments: To enhance precision, some control line model airplanes designed for aerobatic competitions feature special control systems, such as adjustable lead-outs and high-performance engines. These modifications allow pilots to fine-tune the aircraft's behavior during maneuvers.
Training and Practice: Achieving proficiency in precision aerobatics requires dedicated training and practice. Pilots often spend hours refining their routines, practicing maneuvers, and improving their overall control and coordination skills.
Competition Levels: Precision aerobatics competitions can take place at various levels, ranging from local club contests to regional, national, and even international events. These events provide opportunities for pilots to showcase their skills and compete against others with similar interests.
Community and Camaraderie: Precision aerobatics competitions foster a sense of community among control line model airplane enthusiasts. Participants often share tips, techniques, and experiences, creating a supportive environment for learning and improvement.
Overall, precision aerobatics adds a challenging and competitive dimension to control line model airplane flying. It requires a combination of technical expertise, artistic expression, and dedication to excel in this aspect of the hobby.

tell me how to roll a control line plane

ChatGPT
Rolling a control line plane involves executing a controlled rotation of the aircraft around its longitudinal axis, typically achieved by manipulating the control lines. Here's a general guide on how to perform a roll with a control line model airplane:
Master Basic Controls:Before attempting rolls, ensure that you are comfortable with basic maneuvers like level flight, turns, and climbs and descents.
Familiarize yourself with the control handle and understand how it influences the elevator and aileron control surfaces.
Choose a Safe Altitude:Begin the roll at a safe altitude to allow room for recovery if needed.
Gain some altitude in a straight and level flight before attempting the roll.
Enter a Horizontal Flight Path:Start from level flight to set the stage for a smooth and controlled roll.
Ensure that the plane is trimmed for straight and level flight with minimal control inputs.
Initiate the Roll:To initiate a roll, gently apply aileron input in the desired direction. For example, if you want to roll to the right, apply right aileron.
Coordinate the aileron input with slight down elevator to maintain the aircraft's nose level during the roll.
Maintain Controlled Rotation:As the plane starts to roll, continue applying aileron input to keep the rotation steady.
Use elevator input as needed to prevent the nose from pitching up or down excessively.
Complete the Roll:Once the aircraft completes a full 360-degree roll, return the control surfaces to neutral.
Be prepared to make corrections during and after the roll to maintain stability.
Practice and Refinement:Practice rolling in both directions to improve your coordination and control.
Experiment with different rates of roll by adjusting the amount of aileron input.
Recover from the Roll:After completing the roll, transition into straight and level flight.
If the plane deviates from the intended path or altitude, make necessary corrections using the control inputs.
Safety Considerations:Always be aware of your surroundings and avoid attempting rolls in crowded or confined areas.
If you encounter any issues during the roll or lose control, be prepared to execute a quick recovery by leveling the wings and regaining control.
Gradual Progression:If you are a beginner, start with gentle rolls and gradually increase the complexity as you gain more experience and confidence.
Remember, rolling a control line plane requires practice and a good understanding of your specific aircraft's characteristics. Additionally, factors such as wind conditions can affect the execution of rolls, so consider practicing in calm weather conditions initially. As with any aerobatic maneuver, safety and gradual progression are key.

My short comment: lets's imagine that Nice New World, when THIS Artifical Intelligency will target and start our rockets, and counter rockets...
Istvan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here