News:

• April 26, 2024, 06:05:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: again getting people into model planes  (Read 2169 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
again getting people into model planes
« on: November 10, 2021, 02:52:45 PM »
Some know I do a lot of watching the products/model planes on the Ebay.  I noticed a vender was selling plan for the hand launch gliders like I remember that when Dad had the extra 25 cents he would let me get one.  They were available in hardware stores, some grocery store and mine came the Crown Drug Store as well as the 10 cent Comet kits.  We didn't know about hobby shop back then.  But today every body including the AMA keep pushing radio control and us in control line keep pushing the competition planes.  I remember Jim Walker in one his articles stating his hand launch gliders did not have much of a profit margin but the volume sold is what kept them going.  He stated it was the other kits he had where he made his money(as well as government contracts).   I was in Hobby Lobby and walked down the craft section and spotted a Glider and Rubber power plane on the hook.  Yes the price looked a little steep for kids not on an allowance or parents willing to get one for them.   Also they are not made using contest balsa.  How many remember back in the day the word contest balsa?   But I guess manufacturers don't want to do things that have a low profit margin these days.
As soon as I can I am going to see if I can get these made using kit as the pattern and hopefully get neighbor kids interested in flying them.  maybe might get them to fly my cl plane planes with help.  Already have one in my mind that can be flown in a decent size yard.  Well all for now.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: again getting people into model planes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 01:19:31 AM »
May the force be with you Doc.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 07:16:02 PM »
As soon as I can I am going to see if I can get these made using kit as the pattern and hopefully get neighbor kids interested in flying them.  maybe might get them to fly my cl plane planes with help.  Already have one in my mind that can be flown in a decent size yard.  Well all for now.   D>K

I'd just build em. They'll fly good enough for the kids.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 09:09:47 AM »
 I believe the part of the problem has been for many years is no exposure to CL flying.  No one knows what it is.. I grew up and worked in two hobby shops in the peak of CL activity 1950-60's. Parent drove by some school lot with kids and see's a guy flying. He sends them to Hobby shop and they point to one hanging from ceiling. Dad spends 19.95 and leaves with every thing needed to build and fly the Ringmaster or what ever they bought. I remember this was the way of getting rid of out large inventory of used motors.
  You all now there is no exposure or hobby shops. I have lived in Charlotte region since 2001 and have never seen any one flying CL. I found out about Huntersville NC and Winston Salem  by going there to a contest when I lived in Florida. I have been OK with it for many years ,it is what it is. No exposure no interest.

Just my view and I am sure there are many others. If you still have a group that fly's ,good for you and have fun .
  EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 10:30:02 AM »
I believe the part of the problem has been for many years is no exposure to CL flying.  No one knows what it is..

EddyR

Then you get the enlightening statement that goes " you know these days they have airplanes you can fly by radios and they can do all kinds of cool stuff. You should try one of those..." as if you didn't know about RC.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 11:22:21 AM »
Not that I am going to tell anyone to stop trying, but the fundamental problem is still that *no one cares one whit about airplanes* of any type , model, full-size, RC, or otherwise. RC models are "popular" only because they are buy-and-fly toys, not because they are airplanes. RC airplane sales are swamped by RC cars and drones, cars because people do still have some interest in cars in general, and drones because they are even easier to fly and take cool pictures.

Ed is of course right about lack of exposure - but that is a chicken-and-egg situation, powered models are banned in almost all parks and city areas, precisely because people in general got tired of the noise and disruption, and got them run out. We routinely have people come by and try to run us out of one of the two remaining permanent sites in the Bay Area, and there is a significant chance that one of these Karens will succeed. So even trying to show the flag just brings out those who want to put a stop to it.

I don't want to rehash the arguments from all the previous threads, nothing about the situation has changed since the last one; if anything, it has just gotten worse with the spread of authoritarianism associated with Wuhan.

Brett

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 02:29:19 PM »
Lots of true statements.
Consider this cycle as well.
No exposure. So every club needs to hold an event at a public setting, like renting a school yard.
But then, when the spectators say, Wow! That's so cool. We then tell them that It is basically impossible to participate because...
   1. There is no easy to get started beginner plane YET (I hope to solve that, or someone can beat me to it)
  2. And this is the rpoblem with many hobbies, we show the spectators a set of planes which are so impossibly complex and spectacular that an entrance into the hobby is impossible and even undesirable. If we show them small, shabby planes, access is greatly increased. Try getting new people into rc when everyone at the field has a quarter scale gas plane. Impossible.
3. Most people who are excited to try are kids. But, there are few kids for them to fly with so they don't start.
4. Stunt is incredibly difficult. So, don't get people into stunt, get them into control line.

5. I've done several video contests that involve money and prizes if you do product placement. If the millionaire control line guy wants to, he can provide funding for independent projects that feature a clip of control line flying. Change the culture if Tom cruise is flying control line before the aliens attack the planet.
Anyhow, it's all solvable, but not in an easy or likely way.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 12:33:11 AM »
Maybe its because its too difficult to take selfies and fly at the same time.😎🤳

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 06:25:07 AM »
The one thing I will NOT do here is put more politics back into a discussion about our hobby.

I agree with Eddie that a BIG part of the problem is that, unlike how things were in our youth, people can not drive through a town and see control line activity in vacant lots and at schools, as was so common then. As Brett hints, there seems to be no joy of flight or imagination of things aviation; airplanes have long been common. There is not that excitement of new configurations, records, and accomplishments. Most of that is done synthetically now, modeled on a screen. So, the digital age is another thing that has distracted kids from even thinking of really creating something. Physically, Legos get assembled block by block, keyboards are hit, and cyberspace takes on images of fantasy that becomes real and prevalent. Stick and ball sports still flourish, but other physical activity is measured in the obesity of our culture. CL is visceral, one of its advantages, but that doesn't attract youth. I'm sorry for this state and what it implies, but as all idealists, I'll continue to put CL "out there" where I can. - SK

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 08:46:00 AM »
The one thing I will NOT do here is put more politics back into a discussion about our hobby.

I agree with Eddie that a BIG part of the problem is that, unlike how things were in our youth, people can not drive through a town and see control line activity in vacant lots and at schools, as was so common then. As Brett hints, there seems to be no joy of flight or imagination of things aviation; airplanes have long been common. There is not that excitement of new configurations, records, and accomplishments. Most of that is done synthetically now, modeled on a screen. So, the digital age is another thing that has distracted kids from even thinking of really creating something. Physically, Legos get assembled block by block, keyboards are hit, and cyberspace takes on images of fantasy that becomes real and prevalent. Stick and ball sports still flourish, but other physical activity is measured in the obesity of our culture. CL is visceral, one of its advantages, but that doesn't attract youth. I'm sorry for this state and what it implies, but as all idealists, I'll continue to put CL "out there" where I can. - SK

I pretty much agree with Serge and Brett, and we used to talk about this very subject 40 years ago at mall show displays as we sat at tables while endless streams of people walked by as if we weren't there! I think some people perceive us having some sort of problem and that we won't quit playing with toy airplanes! I still believe that there are people out there who have "IT" in them and would enjoy the hobby/sport if they knew it existed. It happens often while we are flying at Buder Park, where some one will stop to  watch and I'll say hello to them and ask if they have any questions. I have gotten replies like, "I had one of those little planes that flew on strings" and they do not realize what they are watching is the same thing, just on a different scale. Like Serge says, I believe we just have to keep putting it out there for people to see. It helps if the person has even a small interest in aviation of any kind but even people like that are hard to find. Like I figured out 40 years ago at those mall show displays, you can't make some one like a hobby. There has to be something inside them, that "IT" that I mentioned before, that gets triggered when they see a model fly. And then you need to be there for those chosen few that come along and be able to help them get started. Being visible while flying is important and in this day and age, being visible on line is a must.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »
Fifteen years ago , Frank Parmenter told me " it's been too long since Lindbergh flew the Atlantic".
No one under 40 yrs old is fascinated that airplanes fly. If anyone thinks they are going to ignite an interest in what we do they are mistaken.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 12:31:15 PM »
Fifteen years ago , Frank Parmenter told me " it's been too long since Lindbergh flew the Atlantic".
No one under 40 yrs old is fascinated that airplanes fly. If anyone thinks they are going to ignite an interest in what we do they are mistaken.

We love to watch "Jeopardy!" each night, but more and more often contestants fail to recognize the year 1927 or even the Lindberg name. At that time, he was the greatest American hero, and aviation was electric in quite another sense. People often gazed upward, even in my youth, when a plane flew over.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 05:33:59 PM »
We love to watch "Jeopardy!" each night, but more and more often contestants fail to recognize the year 1927 or even the Lindberg name. At that time, he was the greatest American hero, and aviation was electric in quite another sense. People often gazed upward, even in my youth, when a plane flew over.

As a side note to the Lindbergh angle, hi trans Atlantic flight was the first even in history that man was able to follow as it happened through reported updates and he progressed. The Trans-Atlantic communications cable had just been put in place previously to the flight, and as Lindy passed planned check points past the Irish coast, the rest of the world knew about it! This flight , to me, is still one of the most amazing feats in human history. But once he had done it, it wasn't a very long time before it was being done and a matter of routine. With people the way they can be, I'm surprised anyone under the age of 50 would know anything about it.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2021, 06:08:04 PM »
In "my day" if we heard that noise, we went to find it knowing it was a model airplane engine.
When I was fresh out of the USAF and back in civilian life in 1975 we lived about a mile from Hobby Park in Dallas.  Just after dawn on most mornings I could hear the unforgettable sound of a Fox 35 off in the distance.  I knew who it was and grabbed my plane.  Those mornings were some of the best times I can remember.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2021, 06:40:28 PM »
Until health problems unexpectedly slowed me down several months ago, I occasionally ran engines/airplanes in my front driveway. In the six years I’ve lived in this house, only once did anyone seem to notice. He watched me hold onto my ringmaster till it ran out of fuel. I don’t think he spoke English and he seemed confused that I didn’t let go and let it fly. Kids next door spend hours playing with soccer balls and bicycles but don’t really seem to notice model airplanes.

A while back, remembering how much I enjoyed cheap “rubber band” airplanes when I was a kid, I ordered a dozen sky streak rubber powered balsa planes from Gulliow’s. I was planning to give them away to anyone interested. They fly so bad I think they would frustrate more than entertain.

As a side note, I always thought the old sleek streaks flew pretty good. More recently, I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve gotten from lasercut planes.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 07:04:32 PM by Wayne Collier »
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2021, 07:03:37 PM »
Until health problems unexpectedly slowed me down several months ago, I occasionally ran engines/airplanes in my front driveway. In the six years I’ve lived in this house, only once did anyone seem to notice. He watched me hold onto my ringmaster till it ran out of fuel. I don’t think he spoke English and he seemed confused that I didn’t let go and let it fly. Kids next door spend hours playing with soccer balls and bicycles but don’t really seem to notice model airplanes.

A while back, remembering how much I enjoyed cheap “rubber band” airplanes when I was a kid, I ordered a dozen sky streak rubber powered balsa planes from Gulliow’s. I was planning to give them away to anyone interested. They fly so bad I think they would frustrate more than entertain.

I can help you with the performance of the Guillow's ! You just can't call them "cheap" any more!  On most of them they don't have enough dihedral and the props have too much pitch. Measure in about 1/3 of the way from each wing tip, score it and crack it, bend it up about 3/8" and glue it. It may be hard to get the wing in and out of the slot like this so you may have to do the mod while it is in the slot. Sand the bottom of the seam smooth as you can and it may pass through the slot. Try a few flights with the supplied rubber and you should see some improvement in stability. If it still looks like it is trying to torque roll a bit, twist the prop blades to flatten them out a bit. Next try a longer rubber motor for longer motor runs and longer flights. With some experimentation and practice there is no reason that you should not start approaching 1 minute in calm air in the evenings under the street light. I think the AMA has a video on some of these mods but I got them out of an old American Aircraft Modeler magazine.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2021, 07:23:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I realize a little modification can help. I didn’t expect them to be super great but was caught off guard by how poorly they performed. I’m mostly thinking of the kids who may pick one up in a store and may not have any experienced person to help them.

As a personal challenge I’ve built several Gulliow’s stick and tissue models with the goal of making them fly “as good as advertised”. Leaving off unnecessary parts and using only minimal clear dope. I’ve had some do really well, but that’s not built according to instructions. I enjoyed it, but I can see where a beginner may get frustrated.

For a beginner I would suggest something like a mountain lion by lasercut planes built exactly like the instructions.

I think Doc’s idea of using plans to build good planes that fly may be even better.
<><

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 08:14:16 AM »
I agree with Eddie that a BIG part of the problem is that, unlike how things were in our youth, people can not drive through a town and see control line activity in vacant lots and at schools, as was so common then. As Brett hints, there seems to be no joy of flight or imagination of things aviation; airplanes have long been common.

I think it is more than that, it is invisible. We fly in a city park in Napa, California. The next park attraction up the road is a skatepark, and around the corner, a BMX track.  And many times, both are packed, and cars park on the far side or our circle. There is also a walking trail on two sides. DOZENS of kids walk by every Sunday morning, they never even look up or show the slightest interest. Everyone once in a while, some grandma or grandpa with a baby or toddler wander by on their morning walk, and they will ask about it. But 5-16 years olds, never once. BTW, between the Skatepark and BMX Track - an RC facility. I asked, not one kid has shown any interest in that, either.

I think if we are counting on mere exposure, it's not going to work. I think if anything is going to work, it is *decoupling it* from aviation, and emphasizing the fact that there is some technology and competition involved. It has to be interesting and worthwhile *independent of interest in aviation*.

While I am kind of interested in airplanes, that is a holdover from a brief period in my childhood. Space and rocketry, those were my real interests when I was a kid, and even I would have known or cared nearly nothing about aviation aside from the X-15, and the fact that the astronauts were test pilots. I know about CL only because my dad flew CL as a kid, and seeing various airplanes fly in 1966 (including an unrolling U-Reely hitting some little girl in the head). Later, I couldn't afford RC but my CL stunt career started only once I had gotten a car, and could drive to a site and fly with a stooge - because it was nearly impossible to find people to fly with, or get any supplies,  even in the mid-70's.

What interested me was the competition, and the idea that you could practice and get better at it. My position on The Spectrum no doubt aided me, I wanted to do something at a world-class level, and liked the idea of daily training to get it. I didn't know what the hell I was doing nor did I have any help, but being a engineer by nature helped tremendously. I was doing complete patterns with only one lap between maneuvers with a Fox 35/Nobler long before I had ever seen anyone else fly a stunt flight- because I didn't know you had to do two laps. Nor did I know anyone else who knew anything about it.

Point being, what attracted me and still does is the "master all aspects" and "almost anything goes" competition, not that they happen to be airplanes. If I was primarily interested in aviation, I would fly RC, not CL.

I think that is a very narrow niche, and that it will never, ever, appeal to the general public. We seem to have enough people to keep going, with the numbers at various contests more-or-less constant before Wuhan, for several decades. But I am also comfortable that it might all just peter out sometime soon, when people like me age out, or various government agencies finally put an end to it.

150 years ago, horses were transportation and a power source, and every grown man knew all about them. 100 years ago, they were still common. Now, the only people who care about horses are little girls, and many people have never seen one up close, and don't care to.  Things change.

Brett

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
For a beginner I would suggest something like a mountain lion by lasercut planes built exactly like the instructions.   

The Mountain Lion is simple to construct and flies really well - it can easily stay up a minute under good flight conditions.  It is the first build that we do in our after-school activity at the local Junior High.  We had been doing this for 7 years when Covid shut down all the after-school activities spring of 2020.  Not sure when we'll be able to start up again.

Every fall when school began we would consistently attract around 10 to 20 students interested in building and flying stick and tissue free-flight.  Kids were interested in it for any number of reasons: they could learn how to build something (beyond LEGOes): they were interested in aviation (yes, there's still a few out there!); they wanted to prepare for Science Olympiad competition; they wanted to enroll at Thomas Jefferson (a local technical High School); they planned to have a career in engineering; they liked kinetic art; they were planning on an Air Force career or wanted to go to the Air Force Academy; a pretty wide spectrum of interests.

We always emphasized the educational STEM value of what building and flying stick and tissue provided: "The benefit is in the building, the fun is in the flying!" For us building is a hands-on educational activity.  We did not do the AMA thing of handing the kid a buddy box while babbling:"Golly gee whiz!  Isn't this so much fun!!"  Even they have finally figured out the need to encourage building after ignoring it and running an RC ARF catalog for many years.  Maybe there is hope?

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2021, 12:36:34 PM »
Maybe its because its too difficult to take selfies and fly at the same time.😎🤳

Sorry but I just gotta.... You mean like this?

I know shameless right..?
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2021, 12:42:16 PM »

As a side note, I always thought the old sleek streaks flew pretty good. More recently, I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve gotten from lasercut planes.

I ran a dynajet in my back yard and it collected no real interest although a friend living 3/4 a mile away called to see if the dynajet noise was us. Boomer down the street was laid up with a broken hip and couldn't. Otherwise, the facebook troops were all asking what the noise was and my wife replied, oh it's just my mad scientist husband.

Life is good AMA 1488

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 03:22:15 PM »
Even those who work airplanes everyday, airplanes aren’t cool either. Anytime I hear of or work an odd airplane we don’t see very often at work, I’m the first one into the tower to check it out. My friends and coworkers notice and say something along the lines of, “gee what a surprise you’re up here. Nerd!” And that’s fine, nerds run the world!

It takes a special person to have an interest in this stuff. There’s a guy I’ve been communicating with that owns a bonanza in the area. He may be someone that would pose an interest…but I only give that a 30-40% chance at most.

I hope control-line doesn’t die out, I love building and flying. If it does completely fizzle out in 10 years, maybe I’ll go back to RC and possibly RC pattern or just build plastic models until the end of days
Matt Colan

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2021, 10:59:10 PM »
   I think it is more than that, it is invisible. We fly in a city park in Napa, California. The next park attraction up the road is a skatepark, and around the corner, a BMX track.  And many times, both are packed, and cars park on the far side or our circle. There is also a walking trail on two sides. DOZENS of kids walk by every Sunday morning, they never even look up or show the slightest interest. Everyone once in a while, some grandma or grandpa with a baby or toddler wander by on their morning walk, and they will ask about it. But 5-16 years olds, never once. BTW, between the Skatepark and BMX Track - an RC facility. I asked, not one kid has shown any interest in that, either.  .

Brett

You are assuming 16 year olds know how to talk to a stranger without using a phone to do it.

I also think that some people in some surroundings are more approachable than others. I'm not sure why this is, but I think some of us humans signal, "don't bother me" whether we intend to or not. Not picking on CL, I mean in anything.

But, airplanes do still excite kids when they're paying attention. In class this year I had a sore throat and cued up an air venture video I keep close by. You should have heard the screams of amazement at seeing something as boring as a t-28 flying by with smoke on.
But Brett makes a good point. CL isn't about the love of aviation as much as it is about modeling or competition or both.
Anyone see the Disney channel drone races? Or the Battle Bot tv show? Branding and accessibility along with any competition go a long way. I mean, come on, cupcake baking tv shows? But hey, branding and competition.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2021, 08:12:15 AM »
I do think youngsters have far more distractions and gadgets than we grew up with.  Their attention span is short for things that require much effort.  I have four grandkids, three of which have soloed at least a 1/2A.  Not sure if any will ever do much in the hobby but it won't be for a lack of trying on my part.  This isn't really new however.  My high school class had 714 kids.  Exactly me and one other I got started had anything to do with CL.  My dad and I had even flown demo flights at school on school time a couple times. 
I've often said one had to have the "gene" for model airplanes to really want to do this.  I have no doubt there MUST be those out there.  Without a local hobby shop to stumble into and find the stuff and the help it is very hard to make connection with those rare few.  I still have to think our best recruiting ground is the RC field.  Quite a few of those guys have never seen CL or did so long ago and might like to re-tread.  The interest is already there and they may know the how's and where's needed.  Short of a large and expensive advertising campaign and/or pursuing underprivileged children, providing all the help and materials needed it's hard to see much of a path for new expansion.  I believe the hobby will continue but on a smaller plateau.  If more folks don't come forward to help organize and run major events, they too will fade into history.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 08:51:11 AM »
I do think youngsters have far more distractions and gadgets than we grew up with.  Their attention span is short for things that require much effort.  I have four grandkids, three of which have soloed at least a 1/2A.  Not sure if any will ever do much in the hobby but it won't be for a lack of trying on my part.  This isn't really new however.  My high school class had 714 kids.  Exactly me and one other I got started had anything to do with CL.  My dad and I had even flown demo flights at school on school time a couple times. 
I've often said one had to have the "gene" for model airplanes to really want to do this.  I have no doubt there MUST be those out there.  Without a local hobby shop to stumble into and find the stuff and the help it is very hard to make connection with those rare few.  I still have to think our best recruiting ground is the RC field.  Quite a few of those guys have never seen CL or did so long ago and might like to re-tread.  The interest is already there and they may know the how's and where's needed.  Short of a large and expensive advertising campaign and/or pursuing underprivileged children, providing all the help and materials needed it's hard to see much of a path for new expansion.  I believe the hobby will continue but on a smaller plateau.  If more folks don't come forward to help organize and run major events, they too will fade into history.

Dave

My “day job” is teaching and testing A&P mechanics. The largest fraction have no real interest in airplanes only to be able to find work here in the Air Capital Wichita KS. It’s not a bad thing just what it is. There are some, definitely the minority, who come with a true interest in airplanes in general. Those students are fully engaged and do aviation outside of the classroom or work environment. Honestly, I can’t say if this is more or less from when I was young.

The pilot students are not much different. The majority are in it for the potential salary and probably glamor factor. But for me, living in hotel rooms is not glamorous. It’s always nice to run in to that one kid who has that infatuation. 

I am planning on doing my part next summer and hope to be able to CD a fun fly and contest at our field. It may or may not produce any results but we need to do these kinds of things. Connecting the the RC community is good at least they have some connection.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 12:35:32 PM »
In the 1960's, I was teaching A&P courses at Spartan School of Aeronautics, Back then the kids were interested in aircraft.
By the late 1970's,  they were interested in a job. Airplanes?
Not so much.
De Hill

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »

150 years ago, horses were transportation and a power source, and every grown man knew all about them. 100 years ago, they were still common. Now, the only people who care about horses are little girls, and many people have never seen one up close, and don't care to.  Things change.

Brett

Interesting point. When I was a kid I don’t think I knew anyone who hadn’t either ridden a horse or ridden in a wagon. My grandfather plowed with a mule. Sometimes we rode it. Different world.
<><

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here