News:

• May 05, 2024, 07:16:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Affordable Balsa  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Pat Johnston

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Affordable Balsa
« on: November 29, 2017, 01:12:47 PM »
This is Pat Johnston.  I do laser cutting mostly for stunt planes.  I use all contest grade balsa and in the last 9 years, the cost of balsa has a little more than doubled.  The big problem is that I have not updated my prices and the profit margin is way down.  I am in the process of updating my prices and that is painfull.  I am looking for a balsa supplier who can sell to a small manufacturer at a reduced price.  I've been getting my wood from National Balsa, and they do not have a discount program for businesses like mine.  Does anyone know of a good source for contest grade balsa?  Help!
Pat Johnston
Manufacturing Division
Skunk Works
aka Brothers of the Ring

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Affordable Balsa
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
Pat,

PM sent.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »
Pat I buy from Bud Nosen.  Great quality. 

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
I sent you a PM also Pat.

Mike

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »

Just guessing, but I'd suggest checking with Bud Nosen too. My nearest hobby shop (100 miles away) carries Bud Nosen Models wood. I've used a lot of it over the years and it's consistently nicer (and cheaper) than the Sig stuff that they also sell.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 06:53:15 PM »
   There is an add over in the Stuka Stunt classifieds from some one who is obviously and off shore provider  of balsa. I think that might be worth checking out especially if they are looking to get a foot hold in the US market. It's a few lines down the listings.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 06:59:41 PM »
http://www.balsawoodinc.com/   This is another potential source. I have not tried them oe compared pricing.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
I've been getting mine here: http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ and here: http://www.balsawoodinc.com/ but balsa wood inc is hit and miss on quality.

I've also gotten wood here: http://www.specializedbalsa.com/

They are a bit different but the quality is superb.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 05:49:03 PM »
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »
Thanks to all for helping me out.  I just recieved the poop from Bud Nosen, Inc. and they will be my #1 provider in the future.  Good prices and what everyone says is good quality.  I hope to keep the costs down for all my supporters.
Pat Johnston
Balsa Division
Skunk Works

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
Thanks to all for helping me out.  I just recieved the poop from Bud Nosen, Inc. and they will be my #1 provider in the future.  Good prices and what everyone says is good quality.  I hope to keep the costs down for all my supporters.

I had been under the impression that they didn't do contest grade -- I am wrong?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »
I had been under the impression that they didn't do contest grade -- I am wrong?

No offense, and maybe I'm wrong, but I've always felt that "contest grade" has a lot more to do with the guy on the handle than the wood in the plane.

Glad you came up with a good source Pat.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 08:37:36 PM »
No offense, and maybe I'm wrong, but I've always felt that "contest grade" has a lot more to do with the guy on the handle than the wood in the plane.

Glad you came up with a good source Pat.
You gotta have "contest grade" at both ends of the lines.  LL~
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »

Tim I have been buying from Bud Nosen for years and yes they do sell contest grade balsa.  They have two prices on their price list, one for regular grade and one for contest grade and there is a big difference because I have ordered both from them. 

Mike

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »

People who fly better than me obsess over weight.  I take that to heart.  Building too heavy is something that I'm currently battling.  Folks who fly free flight say "take care of the grams, and the ounces take care of themselves".  I'm sure that with stunt it's "take care of the ounces..."

You gotta have "contest grade" at both ends of the lines.  LL~

Yup.  I do think that there's less need for a super-duper light plane if the pilot can't make the best use of it -- in that case rugged and easy to repair is probably better.  But it also means that the better you fly, the more you'd better build light and straight and strong.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here