News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:22:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A trip down nostalgia lane, comic book style  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
A trip down nostalgia lane, comic book style
« on: October 08, 2008, 08:01:23 PM »
OK, how many of you remember the Black Hawk comics and the F5F ?

Better yet, how many remember the 1953 or so comic called "Aces High"???   H^^
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:50:36 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
Re: A trip down nostalgia lane, comic book style
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:20:07 PM »
One of his pilots was "Ole", a blonde modern Viking sterotype, and they moved from Skyrockets to F7Fs, and at one point were flying F-90s.  I have a Windows Desktop background image from one of the comic book covers.  The other title never came to my attention, maybe because I found Air Trails in 1953, and MAN the year after that. 

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:36:56 PM »
Ty,

As a kid near Macon, Ga. I listened to the Black Hawks on the radio----along with The Shadow and some others whose names I can't recall.  Must have been 11 or 12 at the time............

Are you going to KOI?

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:17:54 PM »

"Aces High", oh yeah! I loved the WW I stuff, and later had my room's "sky" populated by plastic SPAD's, Fokkers, Albatross, Camels, and Neuports, on threads, pursuing or trailing cotton "smoke." How about Captain Steve Savage flying his F-86, ca. '51-53? Mom didn't want me reading that war stuff, and maybe she was right on this one, since all I remember of it was the Yak-9 pilot screaming, "Die Yankee pig, tool of Wall Street!" Well, I think ole Steve did actually come back from that crash-and-burn to triumph in the end. The Shadow? Of course, along with "The FBI in Peace and War", "Sky King", "Bobby Benson", "The Great Guildersleeve", "Fibber McGee and Mollie", etc..... Somehow the bad guys got eclipsed back home. I was a bit younger though and remember better Capt. Midnight and his Douglas "Skyrocket" on TV. Never enough planes then!

SK

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
Got an old model mag with an article on Bobby Benson.

Remember Inner Sanctum (the Creaking Door)? Radio offered something TV doesn't...you had to use your imagination.

George

Oh yes, I remember reading Black Hawk in the comics. Also remember, "The Heap", and even the first "Superman" comic where Jor El put Kal El in the rocket and sent him to Earth. There was a place a few blocks from my home where you could trade two comics for one of theirs. Never thought of collecting them back then!
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 04:20:08 PM »
Brings back memories of good times....

"Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men.....The Shadow knows!"
One of my favorites on radio was "The Fat Man" (Detective show written I think by Damon Runyon....great stuff)

Definitely remember the Blackhawks.

Our corner drug store had a long counter top with comic books laid out on top (about 3 rows of 10 or so) and I used to wait anxiously for each new issue of Blackhawks, Superman, Auqaman, and Wonderwoman.

Most of the comics cost one thin dime then and the big thick "special editions" were a Quarter.

The comment about using one's imagination is right on....something has definitely been lost...

Randy C.

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:46:40 PM »
Ty,

Jan. 17/18 at the fairgrounds (same as last year). 

Friday, Jan. 16 is practice day; also my wife's birthday----could be a conflict in the making!! mw~ mw~

Wish me luck.......

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
"OK, how many of you olde fahrts like me remember the Black Hawk comics and the F5F with Chop Chop in the back seat?"

Yes, I, as you may guess, remember Black Hawk Comics. We even put some pictures from the comic book into our F5F Skyrocket kit. I loved the early Black Hawk comics but not the last ones.

Larry
Black Hawk Models

Tony D

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:12:41 PM »
 How about the comic. All American Men at War. With Lt. later on Capt. Johnny Cloud. The Navajo Ace. Fliying his  P-51 D Mustang.

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:15:02 PM »
Brings back memories of good times....

The comment about using one's imagination is right on....something has definitely been lost...

Randy C.

I read where they let a group of children listen to one of the old radio programs. When they ask the children what they thought of it, one boy said he liked it better than TV. They ask him why he liked it better than TV and he told them "Because the pictures are better"

I have never lost my love for or my fascination with radio. I still go to sleep at night with headphones on, listening to the radio. One of the great thrills in my life was when I first heard sounds coming from a radio that I had built. Another great thrill was when I completed my first stick and tissue model airplane. I remember gradually figuring out what former, rib, longeron and spar meant.

Thanks for the memories....................

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 08:53:05 AM »
The Crown Drug Store was on the corner just down from the Jayhawk Theater.  Would go there to waait for Mother to come pick us up after the Saturday matinee.  He never complained about us looking thru the comics as we tried our best to leave them like we found them.  Also a couple would go home with us if we had skipped the box of pop corn to have money to pay for the comic of choice.  The good old days, but, I would never go back as things are some much easier now.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 09:25:41 AM »
Leave us not forget Space Patrol and Tom Corbet, Space Cadet.  And the Green Hornet where Kato suddenly (and very quietly) renounced his Japanese heritage and became an instant Phillipino.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Tony D

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
 Got Space Patrol on DVDs. Low Low budget back then. But they did the job as far as entertainment goes. Still pretty neet to watch even now.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 04:31:32 PM »
Cartoons rather than comics but I was going through some old CD backups looking for something and came across these. Downloaded them years ago back when a 28.8 modem was considered cool. The site does not exist now so I guess it's not infringing any copywrite etc. (I'll remove the link if anyone proves otherwise).

http://www.fokkit.plus.com/anythinggoes/ww2_cartoons.rar

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »
> Leave us not forget Space Patrol and Tom Corbet, Space Cadet.

Yeah, "Space Patrol". Here's how I know a lot of years have passed: I remember remembering "Space Patrol" 28 years ago, when Gusti and I were on our honeymoon in upper Michigan. We were driving along a back street in Sault St Marie, when we came upon a flat bed trailer on which sat one of the (two?) rocket-ship "club houses" offerred as prizes on that show. Lost memories of Saturday morning space shows (and Capt. Video) came cascading back. What a wave of nostalgia for childhood dreams. I'm not sure how these rocket ships originated - 'might even have been props used in filming the show. Anyway, as a kid, I imagined doing wonderous things in what I then considered the best prize ever offered. 'wonder where it is now...

Imaginations really were developed then. I remember entertaining myself with a nail file and pen with which I made space ships and airplanes on long vacation trips to Colorado in the back seat of the old Plymouth.  I drew a lot too - 'didn't always need the comic books. Come to think of it, I drew a lot of Tom Corbett stuff, employing that crazy round window into space.  Somehow, vistas just seemed wider then, although it's nice now to be able to create things that really work - well, usually!

"Out of the clear blue of the western sky...!"

SK

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 11:19:16 PM »
Space PATROL---HOW ABOUT Capt. video AND THE video RANGERS
There as also a Sat serial With Bob Steele called Misrery Squadron with biplanes with flame throwers out the tail #^
ama 5871

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 10:33:44 PM »
Get one of your grandkids to buy you a Sirrus receiver and a subscription, you will be able to listen to all...and I mean all of the programs mentioned in this thread.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Tony D

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 08:09:57 AM »
  You can also buy all of these DVDs of the above mentioned on ebay.The copyrights ran out long,long ago and were never renewed.They are now classified as public domain. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here