News:

• May 13, 2024, 05:44:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Fancher-Style Handle  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A Fancher-Style Handle
« on: January 14, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »
I couldn't find directions to build one of these when I decided I needed one.  But after studying all the pictures I could find I figured it out.

So, here's a way to build hard point handle.  I'm calling it a "Fancher style", but if I don't even have that right -- do let me know.

http://www.ccwebster.net/robintim/fancher_handle/index.html
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A Fancher-Style Handle
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »
Very, very nicely done.  Thanks for the tutorial. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »
Good job Tim!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:57:56 PM »
Tim, great tutorial!!! I will save this and refer to it. The only change i may make is to use socket head bolts to secure the arms and add a couple of extra holes to make the arms adjustable.  Thanks for your work and posting.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »
Tim, great tutorial!!! I will save this and refer to it. The only change i may make is to use socket head bolts to secure the arms and add a couple of extra holes to make the arms adjustable.  Thanks for your work and posting.
After I got this all glued up, then I looked at the thread on the Tom Morris handle and realized that it's adjustable.

At any rate, I've got two fully rigid hard-point handles, and a clip bender.  So I'm kinda set for now.

Maybe what you really want is for me to do a tutorial on making a clip bender on your drill press?  I had intended to do the next one on my (kinda crappy) milling machine, but if you're really careful with layout and center punching you should be able to do it on a regular drill press...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:50:06 PM »
Yes please ,the clip bender is next on my list,I don't trust any of the commercial clips,besides you need different size clips with the Fancher type handles.Any one got a plan or parts to make a pitch gauge for pusher props? Regards ,Noel.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 11:46:35 PM »
You can buy a clip bender from Lee's Machine Shop -- making your own is only a task for people who take DIY to pathological levels (like, well -- me).
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »
I have the Fancher Handles and the metal parts I did not make adjustable.  Make them solid.  Make my clips from the tool  I got from the same source of the handles.  I hate it when two good friends are in the business of making tools for our use.   VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
Looks great Tim. May have to copy this method!

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »
Thanks again Tim ,I tried a while ago to get in touch with James  on this mater but got no replies I have sent another email and if that doesn't work I will have to send snail mail to him.I really appreciate the cooperation,ingenuity and the will to share on this site and in C/L aerobatics as a whole It's one thing that makes it so enjoyable. Regards, Noel.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Humm? Hey Paul, Rich, Bill etc... HB~>
I STILL THINK WE SHOULD BUILD OUR OWN STUNT HANDLES....SO THAT WE CAN STAY ALIGNED WITH THE BOM RULES FOR FLYING CLPA EVENTS. LL~ VD~ H^^ R%%%% VD~
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:13:44 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:12:54 AM »
You can buy a clip bender from Lee's Machine Shop -- making your own is only a task for people who take DIY to pathological levels (like, well -- me).

For those that are determined to make their own line clip bender and who also belong to PAMPA, Derek Moran has the "how to" article on page 76-77 of the May-June 2006 Stunt News. There is also a PDF of his plans diagram under "members only" on the PAMPA site.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »
Here are pics of the line connector machine I use.  It is available from the one and only Carl Shoupe.  At least I think he still makes them. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here