News:

• May 16, 2024, 05:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 70th anniversary celebration of the Jimmy Doolittle Raiders. video  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
A good friend of mine who works for a local Indy TV station produced this video.

I think you may enjoy our son Vinnie's video work on the 70Th anniversary celebration of the Jimmy Doolittle Raiders held at Wright Patterson Air Force Base a week or so ago. Click on the following link: Here's my piece on the Raiders

Blessings
Allen
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:15:01 AM by Allen Goff »

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: 70th anniversary celebration of the Jimmy Doolittle Raiders. video
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
Link?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »
There is a forum dedicated to these guys. Very interesting stuff. This thread is about ship #14's landing site and current "finds". http://www.doolittleraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=422

Here's what one of the engines looks like after all these years...
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:54:44 AM »
Especially when you knew or thought you would not  make it back, as some didn't make it back.  Hope they are never forgotten. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
It was great daring well planed raid. Tojo got some payback, and got their tail  kicked at Midway. I like both movies 30 seconds over Toyko and Midway.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 12:37:03 PM »
I wonder what the Germans thought about the Doolittle raid. 

Offline Bill Allen

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
Allen:  THANK YOU for this thread!!!  These were REAL HEROS going in to hell's closet.  These young men hadn't lived long enough to know they should have been scared out of their wits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like the landingt on Normandy beach the weather coditions turned on Doolittle and they had to alter their schedules considerably...and there was no turning back. Guts, courage and patriotism something in SHORT supply today.  Bill Allen

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
Great men, in support of a great man's plan. James H. Doolittle was more than a normal person. He was a visionary. People remember him for the raid, and as a pioneer, but sometimes don't really know what it was he pioneered.

His greatest contribution in my mind is that he devised a way to orient an airplane in cloud. He spoke to and advised instrument makers into the manufacture of the artificial horizon, developed the best combination of instruments for flight into a single instrument panel, and helped to develop the practices in which to enable all pilots to fly an airplane with no outside visual references.
Whenever one enters an airplane, the same six instruments chosen by Jimmy are on feature, Cessna or Boeing. They are there because he found the six necessary to fly the airplane and they are still there because he found ALL of them that were necessary.

If I got to ask Mr. Cole (co-pilot of Jimmy on the raid) a question, it would be something along the lines of , "What was it like to sit in the presence of such greatness? Being then a young pilot,  knowing he had won every air race trophy, Schneider, Thompson and Bendix, showed the Army the utility of the airplane by flying one across the country in 1919, devising the standard six flight instruments and instrument flying procedures, and proving them in solo flight in the late 20's, and came up with the raid, what was that like, tell us all about it!?"
Chris...   

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
I wonder what the Germans thought about the Doolittle raid. 

I think they might have been a bit more concerned about the Eastern front and having recently lost the Battle of Moscow.  At most I think they might have hoped that the US will go after Japan and leave them alone for a while.

Brett

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
Great men, in support of a great man's plan. James H. Doolittle was more than a normal person. He was a visionary. People remember him for the raid, and as a pioneer, but sometimes don't really know what it was he pioneered.

His greatest contribution in my mind is that he devised a way to orient an airplane in cloud. He spoke to and advised instrument makers into the manufacture of the artificial horizon, developed the best combination of instruments for flight into a single instrument panel, and helped to develop the practices in which to enable all pilots to fly an airplane with no outside visual references.
Whenever one enters an airplane, the same six instruments chosen by Jimmy are on feature, Cessna or Boeing. They are there because he found the six necessary to fly the airplane and they are still there because he found ALL of them that were necessary.

If I got to ask Mr. Cole (co-pilot of Jimmy on the raid) a question, it would be something along the lines of , "What was it like to sit in the presence of such greatness? Being then a young pilot,  knowing he had won every air race trophy, Schneider, Thompson and Bendix, showed the Army the utility of the airplane by flying one across the country in 1919, devising the standard six flight instruments and instrument flying procedures, and proving them in solo flight in the late 20's, and came up with the raid, what was that like, tell us all about it!?"
Chris...   

Chris, if I see Mr. Cole again this year, I'll pass along the question!

We - my wife, son Dominick and myself - visited with him last year at the Wings of the North AirExpo (July 14& 15 this year, Flying Cloud Airport, Eden Prairie, MN).  I’m pretty certain we have a photo of Diane and/or Dominick with him somewhere around here.

Richard (Cole), oldest member of the group, lives here - and I can only hope to be half as sharp as he is at his age.  He also strikes me as a professional who’s incredibly modest about what they accomplished.  Like so many of that “greatest” generation.

He has said that he wanted to be in the cockpit before Doolittle prior to taking off for the raid, because Doolittle outranked him.  Sounds like respect for authority to me.

We also enjoyed visits with “Boots” Blesse (Korean War Double Ace) and Dan Cherry (Vietnam F-4 Phantom pilot), among others.

Dennis

http://www.airexpo-mn.org/index.htm
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here