News:

• May 13, 2024, 05:28:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2020 CLPA Nationals Coverage......  (Read 9886 times)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 2020 CLPA Nationals Coverage......
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2020, 09:25:46 AM »
The word I received is that Orestes won by 1 1/2 points over Paul, with Derek in third, Todd Lee in fourth, and Kenny Stevens in fifth. Steven Daly won Senior and Gabe Alimov won Junior.

All the above is from a phone call from a friend at the pavillion, so it is unofficial...

Later - Bob

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2020, 11:53:03 AM »
Open results!  Congrats to all of you!!

Don

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2020, 12:51:25 PM »
Mike A, I think it is great that you have two sons that fly stunt with you and that you encourage them to fly by the rules.  As far as dropping out of the ADV finals hopefully that was their choice so they could prepare for the Junior competition.  If every one of us spent time getting our young ones to fly, if only for the fun of it, it would probably grow the sport/hobby of model planes as well as stunt.  I've lost count of how many youngsters competed through the years.  Some stayed with it while others went off to do their own thing.  Very few have come back because various reasons.  I remember the fun I had plus the discouragement I had when I had two juniors flying Navy Carrier.  One was my son and the other was a neighbor boy of my in-laws.   It has been many years since and I just learned he passed away a couple of weeks ago.  My son is still going strong even though I told him he better get in shape and lose the gut he now has.  But, what ever don't let any discourage you or your sons from competing as there will be nit pickers all the time. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2020, 12:55:01 PM »
OK, I have about an hour before we head back for the evening practice, so.... from the horse's mouth:

Coming here, we never anticipated making the cut in Advanced (not to mention posting the top score on Day 1 of the qualifying).  The only reason I enter the boys in Advanced is to keep them focused on flying throughout the week, between Intermediate on Sunday (which Luca finally won this year and will never attempt to re-enter) and Junior Open the following Saturday (!).  We did this last year upon the suggestion of another father of a Junior, and it sure makes the week go faster.  I have no idea where the boys belong skill-wise.  One has flown stunt for less than a year, and another for about two years.  In April-May of this year, they were flying so poorly that I was ready to throw in the towel and take up ice kurling or something else. 

So, the initial plan was to fly a [shared, borrowed] ARF until the end of the Advanced qualifying, and switch to their BOM-compliant airplanes on Friday to prepare for Saturday.  Making the cut in Advanced was a complete surprise for us, but we would have gone on to fly in Advanced Finals if not for the loss of the plane at 7:15 AM due to completely dead air, at the grass practice circles [notice: I didn't have to make this fact public but doing it anyway...  Say, if you are wearing a catheter, had an accident and missed a flight... would you tell everyone why?]
We had just enough time in the morning to notify the officials of the withdrawal.  Everything was within the rules, and I don't feel like my boys have to apologize to anyone for making the cut (does anyone?), or for pulling out -- for whatever reason.  I do apologize for not having the time to notify our fellow flyers of the changes in flight schedule.

There are many reasons why a person may have to suddenly withdraw: a tragic family event (God forbid), a physical/health condition (Mr. Hunt), loss of an airplane, etc. etc. etc.  Neither do I feel that those spots should be occupied by those who didn't make the cut.  If you want your shot at the "glory" (and all the money and women that come with winning Advanced), fly better and qualify like everyone else.  My 12-yr old Gabe flying 10-12 ft bottoms made the cut with a Brodak ARF built in 3 days the week before the NATS.  It's not that difficult.  The difference between 21st ranked Advanced and the winner of Advanced is immense.  Just watch Dorin (2020) or Will DeMauro (2019) fly and you will feel very inadequate.  Trust me, if you can't make the top 20 (or 16 this year), you have no chance to "get lucky" and win Advanced on Friday.  Not even close.

To everyone else who wonders why we do things the way we do them:

I encourage you to attempt the following:
- Teach a kid to fly a 400-500 point stunt pattern (bonus: try two kids or more);
- Take them to the NATS and spend a week flying every event possible, with enough airplanes to last a week;
- Do it all in a Ford Escape or similar size vehicle;
- Pass a sanity check upon your return home;
- Share your experiences with everyone here.

I see people proposing rule changes. That's fine by me. We will have to comply  (as if BOM wasn't enough). So would everyone else.  That would be a real boon for the event that already sees a rapidly shrinking event participation.  I know what stunt will look like in a few years; I've driven past Speed and Racing circles all week, only to see 4-5 cars parked and not a Junior in sight. 

We've had a mixed experience over the past two years.  We've had people telling us how wonderful it is to see two energetic, polite young men pursuing stunt in this day and age, and offering help and advice (thank you all!).  But we've also had people questioning the legitimacy of just about everything that could be questioned (our line connectors, safety thongs, the AMA number, the way we arm the ESC (yellow XT60 plug from HobbyKing, by the way), etc, only to discover that everything is within the rules.
  We may or may not continue with this if it gets to be too much, I don't know yet.  But I do know that on a national scale this is not very conducive to nurturing a talent pool to draw from when it comes time to send someone to represent the USofA at the World level. Not a rant, just food for thought.

Gotta go now.
Mike please understand that my initial post (rant) was before the facts came to light.  I apologize for jumping the gun like that without fully knowing the truth. Reasons for backing out are completely understandable.

My main point was for the next best 2 flyers being able to fill in those spots. Which I see now would never happen no matter the circumstance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2020, 02:58:28 PM »
Congratulations Orestes! 🍾
L

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2020, 06:42:10 AM »
Well I made it home later last night and I sure hope everyone else has or will get home safely and not too worse for wear.

We have another one in the books-well almost- I still have final reports to do and file with AMA.  My apologies for not doing any reporting of the Top 20 or the Finals yesterday.  It was simply impossible.  I think I was able to watch maybe two and a half flights yesterday with things going on in the tabulation trailer.  My congrats to Orestes and ALL the winners for the job they did.  Joe Daly will be doing an extensive report with many pictures for the PAMPA website in the next weeks so be watching there.  I was pleased also to see Wynn Paul at the LPad yesterday after quite a few years of absence.  We had a couple good visits.  His two -volume books should be available by years' end.

Sort of like the list of credits at the end of a movie I want to call out the many folks who came to help.  This simply could not or would not have happened without the contributions they made.

Unofficial Events: 
Bob Brookins;  Intermediate, Old Time, Classic and N30 Event Director
John Paris:  Co-Director
Elaine Brookins; Tabulator
Mike Stinson; Beginners Event Director
Their judges and helpers-sorry I don't know who they were but greatly appreciated.

Yolanda Jones; AMA HQ..  She jumped to help in any way I asked from the planning stages.
Brenda Schuette; Nats CL overall Director-at beck and call for anything needed.

Monday Meeting and Appearance Judging:

Sheila Cranfill; contestant check in.
Wes Eakin; weigh in table.
Mike Stinson; forward usher and helper
Mike Londke; appearance judge.
Mike Eber; appearance judge.
Colleen Gilbert; score recording and usher to the field.

Qualifications and beyond:

Wes Eakin; Head Judge
Judges:
John Simpson
Steve Smith
David Fitzgerald
Darrell Harvin
John Paris
Joe Otto
Joe Daly Jr.
Mike Eber
Sheila Cranfill; Tabulator
Colleen Gilbert; Tabulator
Genie DeMauro; score runner
Melanie Goff; score runner, tabulations, scoreboard
Allen Goff; score runner
Joe Daly Jr.; scoreboard
Don Main; Pit Boss
Brett Buck; Junior/Senior appearance judge
Robert Storick; Junior/Senior appearance judge

Special Thanks:
Wes Eakin.  Through the whole process Wes was a right hand to help get everything set up and prepared, usually on the field each morning before I arrived and got the pot stirred for the day's work.  Quite a few evening or early morning phone calls as well to keep up to date and rolling.
Derek Barry.  We had a few challenges with the computer hardware and/or software which Derek answered the call and once even came to our hotel to work on something.  Greatly appreciated.
Howard Rush.  Although he was unable to attend he had as much to do with the successful outcome as anyone else on site.  Howard is the designer of the computer software we use.  It works extremely well but like any computer program is only as good as the data fed into it.  Working with the great volume of info we have to feed into it and an extremely short period of time it takes a millisecond to key in a macro out of sequence, skip entering a score value or entering something that doesn't agree with something else in the data base.  Or as happened we had a power outage which shut us down once without saved info and a computer, one of two used, wanting to be balky and had to be rebooted several times.  Howard answered many phone calls from us.  Twice we uploaded the program back to Howard in Washington.  He spent the night fixing our problems and then sent the program back to us by morning which we reloaded into the computers and got going again.  We actually finished the finals yesterday with something amiss so Colleen and Wes had to hand-write some 36 score sheets for the Juniors and Seniors.  Today I will get the program back to Howard for him to address whatever happened and he will provide me with a final report which I have to submit to AMA.  Again without his help we would still be back on Wednesday or Thursday someplace.
Josh from the AMA maintenance crew;  he responded instantly to anything we asked including our power outage.
Mike Stinson; Key Grip-well sort of.  He caught many of the loose ends from running errands to getting food for the Tabulators.
Sheila and Colleen.  These ladies spent quite a few hours into the evenings getting things set up including printing score sheets for the following day.  For both Wednesday and Thursday that was 490 score sheets...............

I'm sure I've forgotten another one or two but know the work everyone put forth made this unusual 2020 Nats happen and I think a success.  Thank You to all!

Dave Trible
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:03:31 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2020, 08:31:09 AM »
Dave,
You did a great job of setting up and running the event this year under very trying circumstances. You did what could be done for keeping everyone as separated as practical from what I could see from the video's. Great job.

Best.   DennisT

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2020, 02:28:49 PM »
  Thank you very much Dave for running the show and much thanks to all the volunteers. Yawl did an outstanding job!!!
     Doug

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »
I think Dave did an amazing job as event director.  Being Nats stunt event director is difficult in a normal year, but this year was way more challenging than a normal year.  I get increasingly impressed by him as the years go by.  Stunt is fortunate to have the talents of Dave Trible.   

My Nats contribution was to present Dave with even more problems.  I'll work on improving the tabulation program and its documentation. 

Volunteering to help at the Nats this year took more sacrifice than usual.  Especially noteworthy among the volunteers is Dave Fitzgerald, who judged.  He didn't need to do it: he paid his dues as event director.  Had he flown, he had a chance of breaking the record for number of Walker trophy wins.  By going to the Nats he also risked a virus which could have kept him from passing his physical, thus costing him his job. 

The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2020, 06:00:20 PM »
So, what about Joe G? 488, then an out of the park 570?  I'd guess an engine failure.

And what about Crist, low score in round 1 advanced, and then the highest score (I think) in round 2?

David

David,
My first flight of the Finals was on Circle 2 and I was the 2nd one up.  Circle 2 scored lower than Circle 1.  No problems with that at all.  My first flight I made some glaring errors and was scored accordingly.
My second flight was on Circle 1 and I was 9th to fly.  Circle 1 scored higher than Circle 2.  No problems here either.  On my second flight I flew the best flight I ever flew with that airplane.  It all "clicked".
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »
Understood Crist. I had a best flight ever at VSC two years ago. It all clicked in the same flight. I hope to be there next year. This year I missed a connection I never thought I'd miss. Ended up being stuck paying for two days at the hotel since I was too late to cancel without penalty. Not sure if I'll want to judge or fly at the moment. Just hopefully there won't be bird strike again and make me miss my connection.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2020, 11:27:05 AM »
The Trouble with Tribles is that they do a great job running the Nats!  Well done!
Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »
Glad you made it home safe Dave.   Mowed the field last Friday.   Oh,  thanks to all who made the NATS happen. #^ #^ #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2020, 08:05:35 PM »
Thanks for mowing John.  I'm off midweek and now I'd like to really start flying........:-)). y1
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2020, 07:33:27 AM »
I want to give a big thank you to

Dave Trible
Sheila Cranfill
Colleen Gilbert
All the judges and pull test Crews.

All of you did an outstanding job, and without you, there would have been no Nats this year.

Derek

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2020, 10:51:26 AM »
In the overall scheme of things, it really doesn't matter who comes in 1st, or 2nd...  All flyers who made it to the final round, and most who almost did, are all in the same class of exceptional talent.  I'd be happy to receive even 70% of their scores.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Nova Joe

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
  • Illegitemi non carborundum.
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2020, 12:51:06 PM »
...than the rest of the population. We (all of us ) tend to try, convict and sentence others without the benefit of all the facts.  But some, James Holford specifically, have a level of integrity that allows them to say, 'oops, I was wrong' and apologize for their previous words. 

At the Nats this year, I heard several negative comments about Mike Alimov. None, as far as I can tell, based upon fact.  None the less, they were uttered and I believe created or helped perpetuate a bias against Mike and his two boys.

I've known Mike, Luca and Gabe for a couple of years now and can attest they conduct themselves at the highest level of legitimacy and integrity.  Mike is extremely knowledgeable regarding CLPA and is most willing to share his knowledge and technique.  He builds aircraft that are light, true and accurate and teaches his boys to do the same.  Speaking of the boys, they are the most respectful and pleasant young teens I have ever met.

Mike is a gifted instructor when it comes to CLPA, not only able to fly the maneuvers but can convey to another some insight in overcoming hurdles and helping others along the path to becoming better pilots.

They were taken to task for not flying the finals due to lack of 'Nats courtesy'.  The sad fact is that failing to fly the finals was not due to a choice being made...it was the result of the loss of two airplanes in the course of 2 days. 

I am most pleased to call Mike, Luca and Gabe friends.
Nova Joe
AMA 166

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2020, 01:24:12 PM »
In the overall scheme of things, it really doesn't matter who comes in 1st, or 2nd...  All flyers who made it to the final round, and most who almost did, are all in the same class of exceptional talent.  I'd be happy to receive even 70% of their scores.

However, 21st and 6th really suck.

One who knows
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2020, 02:34:39 PM »
However, 21st and 6th really suck.

One who knows

Tell me about it! Steve Moon put it correctly...you either want to get 1-5th or 8th  LL~
Matt Colan

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2020, 04:28:15 PM »
...than the rest of the population. We (all of us ) tend to try, convict and sentence others without the benefit of all the facts.  But some, James Holford specifically, have a level of integrity that allows them to say, 'oops, I was wrong' and apologize for their previous words. 

At the Nats this year, I heard several negative comments about Mike Alimov. None, as far as I can tell, based upon fact.  None the less, they were uttered and I believe created or helped perpetuate a bias against Mike and his two boys.

I've known Mike, Luca and Gabe for a couple of years now and can attest they conduct themselves at the highest level of legitimacy and integrity.  Mike is extremely knowledgeable regarding CLPA and is most willing to share his knowledge and technique.  He builds aircraft that are light, true and accurate and teaches his boys to do the same.  Speaking of the boys, they are the most respectful and pleasant young teens I have ever met.

Mike is a gifted instructor when it comes to CLPA, not only able to fly the maneuvers but can convey to another some insight in overcoming hurdles and helping others along the path to becoming better pilots.

They were taken to task for not flying the finals due to lack of 'Nats courtesy'.  The sad fact is that failing to fly the finals was not due to a choice being made...it was the result of the loss of two airplanes in the course of 2 days. 

I am most pleased to call Mike, Luca and Gabe friends.

Here are the facts as I know them. In 2019 I was the assistant event director.  The Alimov team submitted a plane for appearance judging, for Advanced competition.  It was brought to my attention two days later,  when official flights began, that the plane being flown was not the plane entered for appearance judging,  it was an ARF. I was forced to strip appearance points from that competitor.  (This is not as easy as it sounds with the tabulation program,  but we managed) Was this an honest mistake? Possibly,  however,  it doesn't look good. On Junior/Senior day, this same group of competitors decided to only fly the first two of three offial flights, because they thought they had won the contest. That wasn't the case, but it didn't stop them (Mike) from complaining when his son didn't win. Its a tough lesson to learn, but you never assume you have won, before the contest is over.

This year, on Thursday,  I was summoned back to the field to fix a computer problem,  and help to get the score sheets printed for the following day. While I was there, Mike and the boys showed up to ask questions about the next day's format. He was informed that both the boys had qualified. (Congratulations to them, they are both good pilots and very respectful young men) THAT would have been the appropriate time to inform the ED if they had no interest in flying the following day. However,  there is no rule against this, and they did nothing wrong. They qualified,  and if they choose to pass on their final flights, that is on them. This is where the etiquette conversation started. Again, not a good look.

I do not know the Alimov family personally,  these are just the things I observed myself. Maybe some of you, who are such good friends with them could explain,  that when things look or smell funny, the best course of action is to address them immediately,  with the people in charge, and your fellow competitors. 

Derek

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2020, 05:08:19 PM »
snip

This year, on Thursday,  I was summoned back to the field to fix a computer problem,  and help to get the score sheets printed for the following day. While I was there, Mike and the boys showed up to ask questions about the next day's format. He was informed that both the boys had qualified. (Congratulations to them, they are both good pilots and very respectful young men) THAT would have been the appropriate time to inform the ED if they had no interest in flying the following day. However,  there is no rule against this, and they did nothing wrong. They qualified,  and if they choose to pass on their final flights, that is on them. This is where the etiquette conversation started. Again, not a good look.
snip

Derek

I think Thursday night both boys were going to fly in the Advanced Finals.  On Friday morning, one of the boys crashed the ARF they were using.  The only other airplanes they had were the ones they built and were going to fly in Junior on Saturday.  They decided not to use those airplanes in Advanced Finals, so they passed on Friday.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »
I think Thursday night both boys were going to fly in the Advanced Finals.  On Friday morning, one of the boys crashed the ARF they were using.  The only other airplanes they had were the ones they built and were going to fly in Junior on Saturday.  They decided not to use those airplanes in Advanced Finals, so they passed on Friday.

Thank you Crist, I think I did read that, so I do apologize. I do understand not wanting to risk the BOM plane.

Derek

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2020, 07:08:31 PM »
(This is not as easy as it sounds with the tabulation program,  but we managed)

It's easy if a guy tells you that he has switched planes before he flies.  You can also change appearance points after a guy has flown and got a score, but I didn't document that.  I'll put it in the writeup. 
The Jive Combat Team

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2020, 07:11:54 PM »
Thank you Crist, I think I did read that, so I do apologize. I do understand not wanting to risk the BOM plane.

Derek

Thank you Derek.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2020, 08:12:02 PM »
On Junior/Senior day, this same group of competitors decided to only fly the first two of three official flights, because they thought they had won the contest. That wasn't the case, but it didn't stop them (Mike) from complaining when his son didn't win.
Derek

Derek, I have a lot of respect for your flying and building abilities, and appreciate your contribution as a 2019 Assistant ED.
However, you are forcing me to address something that I was really, really hoping to avoid talking about on a worldwide stunt forum.  Yet my integrity is being questioned, so I can't let this one pass.
 So, once again, it doesn't matter why I advised Luca not to take his 3rd official flight in 2019 Jr. finals.  It could have been anything - my concern about his health [heat exhaustion], airplane malfunction that no one knew about, or just a random call.  As you state and everyone knows well, the decision to withdraw is not against any rules.  Neither do I think such a call is harmful, immoral, shameful, etc.  Let's remember, this is a TOY AIRPLANE contest, not conscription to the Vietnam war.

I did, indeed, inquire (privately, mind you, and I was really, really hoping to keep it that way) with the ED about filing a protest about the fact that the eventual 2019 Jr winner was being scored by... his own brother (no matter how objective that scoring might have been) - a fact that was brought to my attention about halfway into the finals day.  It turns out that there was a very experienced and qualified judge available that day to serve on the Jr/Sr circle, but instead she was asked to be a score sheet runner.  Note: I was not (and am not) questioning the validity of the final outcome, the scores given, placing, title, the integrity or intentions of the judges, etc.  Instead, I was pointing out an obvious conflict of interest that could easily have been avoided, and one that the contest administrators were aware of all week yet allowed to take place anyway.  If you have an explanation for that, I would be interested to hear it.

The rest of the horse has been beaten to pulp.

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2020, 06:41:31 AM »
I want to give a big thank you to

Dave Trible
Sheila Cranfill
Colleen Gilbert
All the judges and pull test Crews.

All of you did an outstanding job, and without you, there would have been no Nats this year.

Derek

We want to second what Derek said.  Great job and a huge Thank You for taking on the task. 

James and Ben
AMA 491167

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2020, 07:13:43 AM »
Derek, I have a lot of respect for your flying and building abilities, and appreciate your contribution as a 2019 Assistant ED.
However, you are forcing me to address something that I was really, really hoping to avoid talking about on a worldwide stunt forum.  Yet my integrity is being questioned, so I can't let this one pass.
 So, once again, it doesn't matter why I advised Luca not to take his 3rd official flight in 2019 Jr. finals.  It could have been anything - my concern about his health [heat exhaustion], airplane malfunction that no one knew about, or just a random call.  As you state and everyone knows well, the decision to withdraw is not against any rules.  Neither do I think such a call is harmful, immoral, shameful, etc.  Let's remember, this is a TOY AIRPLANE contest, not conscription to the Vietnam war.

I did, indeed, inquire (privately, mind you, and I was really, really hoping to keep it that way) with the ED about filing a protest about the fact that the eventual 2019 Jr winner was being scored by... his own brother (no matter how objective that scoring might have been) - a fact that was brought to my attention about halfway into the finals day.  It turns out that there was a very experienced and qualified judge available that day to serve on the Jr/Sr circle, but instead she was asked to be a score sheet runner.  Note: I was not (and am not) questioning the validity of the final outcome, the scores given, placing, title, the integrity or intentions of the judges, etc.  Instead, I was pointing out an obvious conflict of interest that could easily have been avoided, and one that the contest administrators were aware of all week yet allowed to take place anyway.  If you have an explanation for that, I would be interested to hear it.

The rest of the horse has been beaten to pulp.

Mike, I am simply talking about appearance,  and how it is interpreted by your fellow competitors.  When you come out for an official flight, the first thing you do before starting the motor, is signal the judges. So your claim, that you did not realize the Daily boy was judging in Junior/Senior until later in the contest is difficult for me to believe.  Its odd, that you waited until after the contest was over, to discuss a protest with the ED.

The very experienced Judge you are referring to, did the exact same thing my father (another very experienced judge) did. They opted not to judge the finals, so they could watch us fly. Her husband was in the finals that year. Now, as far as Joe Jr. Judging his brother in the contest, especially in Junior,  I understand and agree that he shouldn't have been. It was a call made by the head judge, and went unnoticed by Mark and I. Had you made us aware before,  or after the first round (before scores were posted) I would have happily removed him from the judging pool. Keep in mind, I was also flying in the top 5 at the same time, so my focus was elsewhere.  Let's be clear though, this is not the first time this has happened.  In 2010 steve Moon judged his brother in top 5, and nobody made a big stink about it. It wouldn't have been my choice,  but that is what the computer program recommended,  and it was followed. 

As for how judges are distributed, during qualifying specifically.  We try to put new judges with veteran judges, and we usually have more than one conflict with judges being related to pilots. We do our best to address this, but with many things happening at once, it is easy to overlook something.  If you have an issue with something,  its best to speak up early, not after the contest.

What this really comes down to, is something that you have yet to address to my knowledge.  The presentation of a plane for appearance judging,  then flying a different one in competition.  This is a huge infraction and didnt go unnoticed.  Some people wanted your son DQed from competition,  however,  Mark and I couldn't bring ourselves to punish a child for the actions of his father. We removed the appearance points,  and moved on. This simple action is why so many people at the Nats seem to watch your every move. Your failure (to my knowledge) to address this issue,  is the reason for your grief this year. I have nothing personally against you, and certainly nothing against your son's.  They are fine young men. My only intention is to add some perspective to this situation.  The US Nationals is just that, a major competition,  and known around the world as one of the best. The reason people spend thousands of dollars and countless hours preparing for this event, is because they expect it to be run professionally,  and fairly. Yes it is a hobby, but people dedicate a lot of time and money to this event, and some take it very seriously. 

Derek
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:56:23 AM by Derek Barry »

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2020, 09:33:37 AM »
Mike, I am simply talking about appearance,  and how it is interpreted by your fellow competitors.  When you come out for an official flight, the first thing you do before starting the motor, is signal the judges. So your claim, that you did not realize the Daily boy was judging in Junior/Senior until later in the contest is difficult for me to believe.  Its odd, that you waited until after the contest was over, to discuss a protest with the ED.

The very experienced Judge you are referring to, did the exact same thing my father (another very experienced judge) did. They opted not to judge the finals, so they could watch us fly. Her husband was in the finals that year. Now, as far as Joe Jr. Judging his brother in the contest, especially in Junior,  I understand and agree that he shouldn't have been. It was a call made by the head judge, and went unnoticed by Mark and I. Had you made us aware before,  or after the first round (before scores were posted) I would have happily removed him from the judging pool. Keep in mind, I was also flying in the top 5 at the same time, so my focus was elsewhere.  Let's be clear though, this is not the first time this has happened.  In 2010 steve Moon judged his brother in top 5, and nobody made a big stink about it. It wouldn't have been my choice,  but that is what the computer program recommended,  and it was followed. 

As for how judges are distributed, during qualifying specifically.  We try to put new judges with veteran judges, and we usually have more than one conflict with judges being related to pilots. We do our best to address this, but with many things happening at once, it is easy to overlook something.  If you have an issue with something,  its best to speak up early, not after the contest.

What this really comes down to, is something that you have yet to address to my knowledge.  The presentation of a plane for appearance judging,  then flying a different one in competition.  This is a huge infraction and didnt go unnoticed.  Some people wanted your son DQed from competition,  however,  Mark and I couldn't bring ourselves to punish a child for the actions of his father. We removed the appearance points,  and moved on. This simple action is why so many people at the Nats seem to watch your every move. You failure (to my knowledge) to address this issue,  is the reason for your grief this year. I have nothing personally against you, and certainly nothing against your son's.  They are fine young men. My only intention is to add some perspective to this situation.  The US Nationals is just that, a major competition,  and known around the world as one of the best. The reason people spend thousands of dollars and countless hours preparing for this event, is because they expect it to be run professionally,  and fairly. Yes it is a hobby, but people dedicate a lot of time and money to this event, and some take it very seriously. 

Derek

OK Derek, I understand better now where some of this comes from.
Addressing your points in the same order: 
- I did not start the motor or signal the judges; it was Luca flying and not me.  I was standing on the downwind side in bright orange shirt as an intersection marker.  But even if I got close enough to the judges to see their faces, I would not have recognized most of them.  Most everyone wears sunglasses, and even without those I didn't know most of the judges at the NATS.  Remember, that was our first NATS experience.

- On the judge selection.  I understand that computer program makes judge selection recommendation.  But I'm sure the code is not sophisticated enough to understand things like conflict of interest. We're talking spreadsheet macro, not IBM Watson. When I'm being asked to judge at local contests, the first thing I do is recuse myself from judging events that my kids fly in.  This often puts a bind on some contest organizers, since local manpower is hard to come by, but I think avoiding apparent conflict of interest tramples administrative difficulties.  And since the NATS has such high profile and visibility, I would think this factor would be given very high consideration -if, as you state, this competition is taken very seriously.  It is both on the judges themselves to declare a conflict of interest, and on contest administrators not to allow it to happen.

- OK, finally: "The presentation of a plane for appearance judging,  then flying a different one in competition."  A newb mistake, let me explain.  If someone sat down and wrote a "Rookie's guide to the US Control Line NATS", it would have clearly stated that Juniors don't need to go through the Qualifying rounds on Wed and Thursday to make it to the Jr Finals (why are they called Finals if there is no qualifying required?!).  The Guide also would also have spelled out that Appearance Judging actually takes place TWICE during the NATS: on Monday afternoon for Open/Advanced, and on either Friday PM or Saturday AM for the Juniors. [Alas, no one took the time to write such guide. What better use of a keyboard than questioning someone's character and turning a premiere event into a Jerry Springer Show!] And since everyone only talks about the Monday appearance judging (Building 180, the whole ritual with the Concours award ceremony, etc), my assumption then was that this appearance score went towards the Jr Finals, and so that's the plane I told Luca to bring, and since Advanced doesn't have a BOM rule, we could fly whatever we want, right?  Wrong, but I didn't know that at the time.  No one explained anything or asked any questions, even though they clearly saw new faces at the event.  So when you finally approached me and told me about the removal of appearance points, I understood the mistake and didn't argue at all.  To think that I concocted an evil scheme with appearance points to... wait, what, boost my kid from the 24th ranking in Qualifying to the 21st?!! (where he actually ended up in 2019)... is ridiculous.  When we come to compete, we compete to win.

- General thoughts.  I don't know whether people realize how much the ambiguity of the skill class system and the effectively un-enforceable BOM rule (however well intentioned those are) confuse the already subjective, difficult to navigate event.  A complete newcomer to the US stunt (not many these days... I wonder why) is bound to make the same mistakes as we did, and perhaps more.  And then get chewed out for it, on a public forum nonetheless,  based on anonymous complaints.
  So I don't want to read anymore of those waxing-nostalgic posts about how this hobby is shrinking and dying, no more young blood, only so many years left before the event is not flown anymore, etc. etc.  The stunt community has done it unto itself.  It seems to serve those that were already in the room when the doors closed. 

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »
OK Derek, I understand better now where some of this comes from.
Addressing your points in the same order: 
- I did not start the motor or signal the judges; it was Luca flying and not me.  I was standing on the downwind side in bright orange shirt as an intersection marker.  But even if I got close enough to the judges to see their faces, I would not have recognized most of them.  Most everyone wears sunglasses, and even without those I didn't know most of the judges at the NATS.  Remember, that was our first NATS experience.

- On the judge selection.  I understand that computer program makes judge selection recommendation.  But I'm sure the code is not sophisticated enough to understand things like conflict of interest. We're talking spreadsheet macro, not IBM Watson. When I'm being asked to judge at local contests, the first thing I do is recuse myself from judging events that my kids fly in.  This often puts a bind on some contest organizers, since local manpower is hard to come by, but I think avoiding apparent conflict of interest tramples administrative difficulties.  And since the NATS has such high profile and visibility, I would think this factor would be given very high consideration -if, as you state, this competition is taken very seriously.  It is both on the judges themselves to declare a conflict of interest, and on contest administrators not to allow it to happen.

- OK, finally: "The presentation of a plane for appearance judging,  then flying a different one in competition."  A newb mistake, let me explain.  If someone sat down and wrote a "Rookie's guide to the US Control Line NATS", it would have clearly stated that Juniors don't need to go through the Qualifying rounds on Wed and Thursday to make it to the Jr Finals (why are they called Finals if there is no qualifying required?!).  The Guide also would also have spelled out that Appearance Judging actually takes place TWICE during the NATS: on Monday afternoon for Open/Advanced, and on either Friday PM or Saturday AM for the Juniors. [Alas, no one took the time to write such guide. What better use of a keyboard than questioning someone's character and turning a premiere event into a Jerry Springer Show!] And since everyone only talks about the Monday appearance judging (Building 180, the whole ritual with the Concours award ceremony, etc), my assumption then was that this appearance score went towards the Jr Finals, and so that's the plane I told Luca to bring, and since Advanced doesn't have a BOM rule, we could fly whatever we want, right?  Wrong, but I didn't know that at the time.  No one explained anything or asked any questions, even though they clearly saw new faces at the event.  So when you finally approached me and told me about the removal of appearance points, I understood the mistake and didn't argue at all.  To think that I concocted an evil scheme with appearance points to... wait, what, boost my kid from the 24th ranking in Qualifying to the 21st?!! (where he actually ended up in 2019)... is ridiculous.  When we come to compete, we compete to win.

- General thoughts.  I don't know whether people realize how much the ambiguity of the skill class system and the effectively un-enforceable BOM rule (however well intentioned those are) confuse the already subjective, difficult to navigate event.  A complete newcomer to the US stunt (not many these days... I wonder why) is bound to make the same mistakes as we did, and perhaps more.  And then get chewed out for it, on a public forum nonetheless,  based on anonymous complaints.
  So I don't want to read anymore of those waxing-nostalgic posts about how this hobby is shrinking and dying, no more young blood, only so many years left before the event is not flown anymore, etc. etc.  The stunt community has done it unto itself.  It seems to serve those that were already in the room when the doors closed.

I knew if I kept feeding you rope you would hang yourself with it. You did not disappoint.

So, it never crossed you mind that you might need to bring any and all planes you plan on using to appearance judging? I never crossed you mind before the first official that the plane you presented for Advanced,  hadn't been judged? Surely you knew that other competitors had received points for their BOM legal airplanes, yet you never brought to our attention that you were using a different plane. I am well aware that you, yourself are an accomplished stunt pilot, and you often compete at Brodaks. Brodaks doesn't have a BOM but they do have appearance points... The reason you didn't complain when I came to you about the situation is because you were busted. It is not the administrations obligation to read the rulebook to the pilots. Being prepared for the event you enter is on you, the competitor.  If you are unsure about something,  it is your duty to ask the questions. I have yet to meet a stunt pilot who is unwilling to help someone,  especially if kids are involved.

What is really telling is your final paragraph.  You are just another anti BOM guy, who doesn't like our unenforceable rule. Here is a news flash. Its people like you who make it unenforceable! I sure wish were able to build and finish as well as your kids, at their age, but it took me 20-30 years to reach the level I am at now. Maybe I'm just slow.

Derek

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »

- General thoughts.  I don't know whether people realize how much the ambiguity of the skill class system and the effectively un-enforceable BOM rule (however well intentioned those are) confuse the already subjective, difficult to navigate event.

While I am staying out of the rest of the argument, I am not sure how the skill class system is ambiguous. You choose your skill class, and then move up when you think it's time. We even have suggested score ranges to assist, if you are in intermediate and routine getting 450s, then you are probably in the wrong class. If it is in any way confusing, there are plenty of people to ask - you have nearly instant access to the vast majority of the competitors. I can tell which people should be in which class in about 30 seconds, it's not hard.

The BOM is not "unenforcable", but it does leave open the possibility that someone could get away with something, if they were inclined. The number of people willing to do that are so small and the cases so rare that the event is perfectly willing to just accept that and the occasional anomaly they might create.

The bottom line is that we expect the competitors, judges, and administrators to be honest people who conduct themselves with class and respect for the rules and their fellow competitors. I, at least, am unwilling to attempt to introduce more stringent and prescriptive or proscriptive rules to try to accommodate a rare case of someone trying to find loopholes, or don't want to count on the integrity of the rest of us.

The cases where this has happened are exceedingly uncommon over the 50-ish years I have been involved  - maybe two individuals (and a few of their supporters) in that entire time.

I am not suggesting that you are another one, in any way.  I prefer to accept your explanation as you stated it. But if you have further questions along these lines, *please ask someone*, me if you want, the CD if you want,  because repeated "incidents" do not make for an enjoyable experience from anyone involved.

I would add-  it was very unfortunate that the boys crashed their airplane, I thought Luka in particular was a potential high finisher. That's why it seemed odd to everyone that he would withdraw, rather than use his other airplane, or borrow one. They seem to be very nice boys and I look forward to seeing them in future events.

Brett

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
Brett, thank you for the kind comments and support. I will be sure to seek advice in the future when I feel I need it.

Derek, I'm not going to comment on your learning curve.  What matters is that you stuck with it and succeeded. It is very difficult to get kids to stay with something for a week these days, let alone 30 years. 
 It is unfortunate that you chose to formulate your compliments about the plane build quality in a form of an implied character attack (with the implication that the boys didn't build the planes themselves).
I knew early on, however, that there would be questions about that, so I took pictures as we went along.  Note that per current BOM rules, only one major assembly is required, so for the Initiation we used SV-11 ARC wings and tail, and built the fuselage.  The Skittles is 100% scratch built, since Gabe insisted on building the wing.  A Monokote and Rustoleum finish is relatively quick and easy, although not as long lasting or beautiful as dope.  I don't want my kids to breathe solvents for months on end.
The pictures tell the rest of the story (taken in 2019 and 2020).  After which I'm ready to sign off.  It is getting exhausting and unproductive.

Online Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »
If one enters a plane for one event.  It is tied to that event and administered as needed for that event.  You cant just assume it will also be used in other events as well.  Each event is its own entity.  That is pretty self explanatory especially if anyone has spent any time at a stunt contest where multiple things are happening at once.  They are still separate and treated as such my the admins. Such is the case for the Jr contest and the Advanced contest.  They are not linked in any way shape or from.

Mike, you stated "If there were a rookie guide".  Maybe you can write one up since having gone through this recently and this is still fresh on your mind.  It would be helpful to others who are entering this event for their first time.

I was judged by my brother in 2010.  His scores were almost identical to what was posted. I finished second by just a few points. Dale Barry doesn't judge Derek as he is hard on him and knows his mistakes before they happen. Bob Gieseke used to judge me and beat me up bad and we were flying partners for years.  The look of conflict is there when this happens but the outcomes over the course of the event's history don't prove out that the conflict always works out in the competitors favor.  Quite the opposite tends to happen.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2020, 12:34:37 PM »
I remember building a couple of planes with my son.  It was great.  Maybe he will come back to it soon. But for now it's baseball!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
More pix

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2020, 02:24:18 PM »
"The presentation of a plane for appearance judging,  then flying a different one in competition."  A newb mistake, let me explain.  If someone sat down and wrote a "Rookie's guide to the US Control Line NATS", it would have clearly stated that Juniors don't need to go through the Qualifying rounds on Wed and Thursday to make it to the Jr Finals (why are they called Finals if there is no qualifying required?!).  The Guide also would also have spelled out that Appearance Judging actually takes place TWICE during the NATS: on Monday afternoon for Open/Advanced, and on either Friday PM or Saturday AM for the Juniors. [Alas, no one took the time to write such guide. What better use of a keyboard than questioning someone's character and turning a premiere event into a Jerry Springer Show!] And since everyone only talks about the Monday appearance judging (Building 180, the whole ritual with the Concours award ceremony, etc), my assumption then was that this appearance score went towards the Jr Finals, and so that's the plane I told Luca to bring, and since Advanced doesn't have a BOM rule, we could fly whatever we want, right?  Wrong, but I didn't know that at the time. 

Mike has good points.  One good point, anyhow, and one understandable point.  I agree that the Nats is poorly documented, both for new contestants and for people using the tabulation program.  At my first Muncie Nats, there was nothing telling me where to go for appearance judging.  I just drove around town until I saw somebody.  Then when appearance judging got transferred to the 180 building, I had to repeat that experience.  Google didn't help.  Its spelled "Oneighty".

I understand Mike's not knowing that "no BOM' doesn't equal "no appearance points".  It's because he goes to East Coast contests. For several years, I put together the Stunt News contest calendar, so I saw lots of contest announcements.  Almost all--maybe all-- East Coast contests have skill-class stunt (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert).  AMA rules for these classes specify that one can fly any airplane, but only airplanes built by the flier get appearance points.  The only Eastern contest that I remember that followed AMA rules and awarded appearance points was Brodak's.  Announcements for all the other contests (there may have been an exception, but I doubt it) stated "no BOM", rather than "no appearance points", although some said both.  I thought that was extremely quirky.  Why didn't they add, "no outside triangles"?  So I can understand how a person who has received lots of these contest announcements could interpret "no BOM" as "no appearance points".
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »

I was judged by my brother in 2010.  His scores were almost identical to what was posted. I finished second by just a few points. Dale Barry doesn't judge Derek as he is hard on him and knows his mistakes before they happen. Bob Gieseke used to judge me and beat me up bad and we were flying partners for years.  The look of conflict is there when this happens but the outcomes over the course of the event's history don't prove out that the conflict always works out in the competitors favor.  Quite the opposite tends to happen.

This was a key element of the "unpleasantness" of 1993-2005, but for the most part, having your relatives/flying buddies/people familiar with your typical mistakes IS NOT an advantage - because they know exactly what to look for.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2020, 04:05:20 PM »
In 1964 I was a newbe Senior at the Nats and had no idea appearance judging was done the evening before the event.  Nobody told me, no "welcome package" with instructions.

I was working on my plane in the hangar (Dallas NAS) when my Grandmother slipped and put her hand through the wing.  I loaded up my stuff to go home and fix it when one of the other guys there asked how I was going to get it to appearance judging on time if I went home?  What, don't they do that before your first flight?  Found the ED and got permission to have it judged the next day.  Somehow the Navy never got the word.  Highest flight score, zero appearance points and 6th place.

So I have sympathy for being new to an event that is a collection of regulars.  Still, there is no excuse for not knowing the rules.  I was at fault, not the ED, not the Navy judges but I do know how it hurt, and to some degree still does to have watched Barry Simmons fly in the Walker.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »

There's some history.  The Nats process is complicated.  In bygone years, the event directors arbitrarily seeded the qualification circles, drew flight orders randomly, but not in public, and selected judges for the semifinals and finals by looking at a graph of their scores.  This was all done fairly, but because it was arbitrary or done in private, it gave losers an excuse to squeal that they were being cheated. In the case of judge assignments, contest administration bent over backwards to try to have judges that knew or lived close to contestants not judge them.  When Paul Walker was Nats stunt event director, he made all these processes work by formulas that were published in advance of the Nats or by random draw done in public at the Nats. It the case of judge selection for following rounds, Paul and a statistician came up with a formula to rank judges.  I don't know if the formula is statistically valid, but if it's followed, nobody can claim that the people in charge are arbitrarily assigning judges to cheat him.   Although some EDs may have strictly followed the formula result, I think it's obvious to make exceptions to random or formula-based judge allocation for cases such as when a father is a judge and a son is a contestant. Separating judge-contestant pairs is easy in any stage of the contest.  The program can also ensure that a judge having a family member flying Advanced and another family member flying Open not judge either in qualifying rounds. 

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Arlan McKee

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2020, 05:05:49 PM »
a statistician

Forget saying it 3 times. I can't even say it once.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2020, 05:12:25 PM »
Good thing he’s not picking pickled peppers.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »
...or selling sea shells.

ob

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2020, 10:22:40 PM »
I sure wish were able to build and finish as well as your kids, at their age, but it took me 20-30 years to reach the level I am at now. Maybe I'm just slow.

My models, at age 14 / 15 were tidy , tissue & dope - so no dings or bad joints . colour dope was to much , in far off N Z .

Id think anyone with a decent shop & a few years at it , could make a respectable job of it , scratch built . Unless they got no peace .

Though there were standards to live up too . Any early faults were not encouraged .
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:34:03 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
  I sent you a PM Derek.
       Doug P

Offline Orestes Hernandez

• New Pilot
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2020, 09:35:02 PM »

Offline Lauri Malila
Trade Count: (0)
Admiral

Congratulations Orestes! 🍾

Thank you Lauri. I hope to see you again in Poland.

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2020, 11:40:36 PM »
I hope so buddy.
Because of the silly virus, there is Free Flight world champs too next year. Maybe have to choose.
Btw, did I see right but you seem to have new version fuselage and old wings in your model? L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here