News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:49:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2019 King Orange International & SPPA, Inc.  (Read 844 times)

Offline Stuntflyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
2019 King Orange International & SPPA, Inc.
« on: June 25, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
I have been asked a few times about the sponsor of the 2019 King Orange International Precision Aerobatics contest coming up September 13th, 14th and 15th, 2019. SPPA is a non-profit corporation based in Florida with national interests who are a fund-raising arm for the education and introduction of the benefits of a career in aviation. We solicit funds from aviation corporations, local businesses and donations to promote these career opportunities through events we help promote.

We have chosen C/L Precision Aerobatics contests as one of the venues for this introduction including hands on experience with our "First Flights" program. Through the First Flights program, we will have specific literature to provide participants from various aviation corporations and their particular career opportunities. We will also be giving free flights for everyone on our "First Flights" training aircraft.

We are friends of both PAMPA and AMA and will also be handing out literature about the benefits of belonging to both these organizations. We hope this will increase membership in both organizations. Many members of these organizations have had long and distinguished careers in the field of aviation and both organizations do a great job promoting aviation.

As you may or may not know, the aviation industry in general is having a hard time attracting candidates from the workforce. It is even a challenge for our armed services. There are numerous challenges and opportunities in this area, most hinge on the evolving demographics of the American industry’s workforce. Somehow, the industry has yet to connect with potential workforce members in Generation Z and the Millennials. This has created a situation where workers who are aging out aren’t being replaced fast enough. However, there are many as-of-yet under explored recruitment tools and methods that may help bring new blood to the world of aviation. We hope SPPA, Inc. can be one of those recruiting methods which help reach Generation Z and the Millennials.

The specific purposes for which SPPA, Inc. as organized are:
. To promote aeronautical safety and education
. To promote aeronautical careers for young people.
. To sponsor various events and functions which promote aeronautical safety, education and public awareness of issues surrounding aeronautics.

We are not a membership organization and are comprised simply as an unpaid volunteer group of directors. Much like Public Television, we will accept donations from anyone and we will follow up with more specific information about that in the near future. For now, if you have an interest in becoming a donor, you can make your check out to "SPPA, Inc." and mail your donation to:

SPPA, Inc.
7009 24th Ave So
Tampa, FL 33619

We will be offering other donation methods in the near future, so I will update this information as warranted.

Starting in 2020, we will be offering grants to AMA Contest Directors who are hosting C/L Precision Aerobatic Events in 2020 who are also willing to host our "First Flights" program in conjunction with their contest. You may also apply for stand-alone events where the sole goal is promoting education and career opportunities in aviation. For insurance purposes, these stand-alone events should also be sanctioned under the auspices of AMA and AMA Contest Directors. Rome wasn't built in a day, so time is required for us to get ready to sponsor events in 2020.

It is a cold hard world within the American workforce and one is always competing with fellow workforce members for the best jobs and promotions. Once in the workforce, there are no more "Participation Awards" to be won, those who excel at what they do will be the winners.

C/L Precision Aerobatic contests are perfect venues for SPPA, Inc. events. These contests feature a very special group of modelers who can show newcomers what camaraderie and sportsmanship among competitors really mean. As is true in the workforce, generally you can only control how you perform and others make the final decisions as to who "wins". Our directors love C/L Precision Aerobatics events where enough room is available for the First Flights are strongly encouraged.

Of the many the modeling disciplines, C/L is unique in allowing you to have direct feedback from the model, much like full scale aircraft. Because of the familiarity the general public has with the term “Radio Control”, SPPA, Inc. has training aircraft which also feature radio control for throttle. It is not a mandatory requirement, but it is more likely to be recognizable to the general public.

Our focus will be on young people who are soon to enter the American workforce. This would include high school, technical colleges and universities. Of special focus should be schools with "STEM" programs in place (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics). STEM students will be particularly good candidates to join the aviation workforce.

Of course, we will welcome all including the very young. Sometimes planting a seed about an aviation career at an early age will be the impetus needed for that person to eventually join the aviation workforce as they get older.

Please consider making a donation and becoming part of the solution to insure the proud and rich history of American aviation continues well into the future. AMA Contest Directors can call also the number at the bottom of this page to learn more about hosting an SPPA, Inc. event in 2020.

There are no guarantees of success, but I can assure all of you it will not be for lack of trying. Wish us luck.

Society for the Preservation & Promotion of Aviation

(or for we C/L Stunt aficionados - Society for the Preservation of Precision Aerobatics)

813-230-1287

Jim Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
Re: 2019 King Orange International & SPPA, Inc.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
Interesting in concept, for shur'!  How would you propose attracting these "potential" candidates who seem to be invested in other avenues of interest that appear to be less labor intensive?  Our problem is, our local efforts seem to always end up losing out to air conditioned activities and spaces or a lack of funds versus competing electronic interests or third, an inability to encourage the parents to support the scheduled activity as needed.

Jim Carter   

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
Hi Jim,

Lol . . . I never said it would be easy :) I met with Aero Simulations of Tampa last Monday and Russ gave me a lot of ideas. Aero Simulations make full scale aircraft & helicopter simulators for the Defense Industry (Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, etc.).

Aero Simulations are very active in our community and Russ was able to give me some very good pointers. Perhaps his best idea was how to target the highest yielding group in terms of candidates who might find an interest in the more technical Aviation industry (engineers, mathematicians, chemists, rocket scientists, etc). Almost all schools from elementary to high school offer what is known as a "STEM" program (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics).

Our general idea is to have Contest Directors make contact with schools in their area and invite the STEM students out for a go at the First Flight program. We would make materials available to Contest Directors about the aviation industry and the many career opportunities available.

Of course, some aviation careers are highly technical which STEM students should find appealing. This is not to leave out aviation careers for others not so technically inclined. Airlines need all kinds of personnel to meet their requisites, everything from flight attendants to mechanics to baggage handlers, the list goes on and on. There is an aviation career waiting for anyone who really wants one.

Russ also mentioned a Florida technology fair held in Orlando each year in which Aero Simulations takes part. There are lots of avenues, but it is baby steps for now while we develop a comprehensive game plan.

Aero Simulations may have an interest in doing some sponsorship if we have a event in Tampa. Corporations are tough to solicit from simply because most already do quite a bit of community work and sponsorship, but it doesn't mean they are impossible to crack. We have some people who made a career out of soliciting funds or donations, just takes perseverance.

Jim

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 02:42:30 PM »
I got'cha!  Don't get me wrong .... I like the idea and can see the benefits going forward.  I was just curious as to their approach.  I know the local EAA unit here, in Titusville, hosts a fly-in at Dunn Airport the first weekend of every month but it is pretty rare to see kids and or families with kids participate.  Not being disrespectful, there are a lot of the aviators who are willing to work with the kids but the "legal" issues always seem to crop up.  When I grew up, going to the airport, talking with the pilots, even getting to climb inside some of the planes seemed so simple.  Nowadays, it seems like you've got to deal with security, permission slips, liability insurance in case of slips or falls or scrapes, etcetera, etcetera.

A little while ago, I got a friendly warning (in an offbeat discussion) about working with kids to teach them how to fly control line.  Specifically, what will I do if a kid cuts his or her finger while learning to start an engine say an .049, get a fuel splash in their eye or in their mouth (maybe I'm the only one that that has ever happened to), or cuts their finger using an Xacto knife (thinking just a minor cut) .... and so forth!!  Well, I believe AMA insurance would cover me but (I'm not sure).  What about the child??  Do I have to make a claim against my homeowners insurance?  Suppose the kid gets dizzy and falls and bangs his head .... am I prepared to deal with a concussion protocol.  Yeah, as first, I thought the discussion was a bunch of baloney too but when I did give it thought .... well, I'll probably still work with some, select, specific kids but I'm going to be VERY careful and VERY selective of who I work with, that's for shur'!!  :-\ :-\

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 07:42:55 PM »
Yeah . . . much different world out there than when we were kids. It's one of the reasons SPPA, Inc. will not run First Flight programs unless it is an AMA sanctioned event. While lawyers certainly have their place, they are just like every other facet of society, one bad apple can spoil everything for a whole group.

Sometimes some of them forget they are an integral part of our justice system and as officers of the court, they have an obligation to insure their client is fairly represented, but they also have an obligation to insure justice is truly served. Coveting money is a sure way to insure injustice. Again, not a slam on all attorneys, just my humble opinion of one of the reasons why America seems so "Sue Happy". Television ads for attorneys bombard us all every day and we are all encouraged to sue someone over something :)

Lol . . . I'm not a lawyer and so would not advise you in any way how to approach working with youngsters.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 03:44:46 PM »
 :)   :)  I do agree and understand.  Nevertheless, I will do what I can to support those efforts.  I've been an AMA contest director since the late 80's but I've not done anything with it regarding an event for local kids.  Your description of the goals of the organization deserve additional earnest consideration on my part.  Thanks.  By the way, I found the Articles of Incorporation and read the Statement of Purpose, however is there a website or some such for additional review on say, the First Flight Program??  What materials are available?  One must have something in hand before approaching school professionals and other 501C3 organized program officials.  What is the suggested minimum/maximum of STEM participants per event??  What funding assistance / grants would be available per event .... per child / student??  What recommended models .... electric, nitro?? ....Recommended sizes?? .... Insurance assistance or strictly AMA??  To whom should application be submitted and what is the estimated turn around time for approval and subsequent program assistance??  I hope I'm not being a pest with all of these questions but I really do like the concept and well, I'm just curious about the "gators in the pond"   ??? ??? before I stick my feet in, if you catch my drift.   :-\   Again, thanks for your efforts!!

Jim Carter

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 07:17:33 PM »
Hi Jim,

No website yet, but one in the works the same as the information packet we can send to Contest or Event Directors.

The number of STEM participants is really a reflection on the site you choose, the number of volunteers and instructors you can recruit and what other groups besides STEM participants you want to invite. You of course need to have a few trainer planes. Electric is ideal as there is no fuel to get in eyes and participants don't need to get fingers near the propellor. They aren't hard to start either. I would recommend 2.4 GHZ radio for the throttle control as being able to control the speed of the aircraft lessens the chance of the inevitable DORK IN THE GROUND.

You should try to make the 2019 KOI contest - it's going to be an awesome contest up near Lake City, Florida and we will have our SPPA, Inc. trainer aircraft in full use. We have four 38" wingspan EPP foam trainer aircraft with full 2.4GHZ throttle control. Aircraft weigh just over a pound with battery which lessens damage when the inevitable DORK arrives. They are incredibly durable and real good flyers. It is one of our goals to be able to grant two to four of these aircraft with equipment to Event or Contest Directors hosting the First Flight program in 2020. Of course, grant money can be spent for other support areas as well and you are not required to use this type of aircraft. I am going to approach the manufacturer to see if he would be willing to modify this R/C model simply to what Wayne and I have done on ours. Hopefully I'll get to that here in the near future. Have some other stuff in the works as well.

I will talk to the other Directors to see what they think of adding regional SPPA Event Directors. It is an idea we have kicked around before and probably a good one. It just takes some time to put all this together, but you obviously have an interest in this sort of thing and that is 90% of the battle.

Thanks again,

Jim Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 06:35:40 AM »
Sounds like a winning proposition to me!!  Well, it is my hope to make the KOI this year.  I've had a ball in the blast and God Willing, I'm looking forward to nothing less.  I look forward to seeing those planes you've been using.  While I'm not too shabby of a builder (replicator), I'm not all that adventurous of a designer, if you know what I mean.  Anyway, I look forward to learning more.  Take care.

Jim Carter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here