News:

• May 14, 2024, 09:59:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2011 KOI Build it And They Will Come  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Thomas J. Weedman II

• T.J. Weedman
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
2011 KOI Build it And They Will Come
« on: January 14, 2011, 06:36:39 PM »
We have had a record turn out today at the practice session for the first KOI at the new "Field of Dreams" in St. Augustine Florida. We have people from far away as Arizona coming for the first time to our contest. A few "Big" named guys showed up including Randy Smith, the Berrys, Kent Tysor, Stan Powel, the Dixons, William Davis, Watt Moore, Jimmy Welch, Artie Jessup, Gene Martine, Roy Trantham, Erric Villone, Bill Rich, Steve Fitten, Bob Zambelle, a few others, and the local guys. Weather not snowing, warming up a little, and light winds all day long for both saturday and sunday with a high of 70 degrees.

T.J. and Tom Weedman 63672 & 875582

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Re: 2011 KOI Build it And They Will Come
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
Here are a couple pics I snapped of just 1 of the pits / circles where folks were tuning up for the weekend. The site is fantastic! lots of room, concrete centers on 3 circles, trees well back from the flying area, truly a " Field of Dreams". There were 3 or 4 circles going all afternoon, everything from Bi-Slobs to Dreadnaughts -, and the whole spectrum in between.

Phil Coopy is packing it in for the day, and Dale Berry is putting in a flight while the un-official judging pool watches and makes wisecracks! A nice afternoon- and the pomise of even better weather tomorrow- we hope.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:48:27 AM »
I made it in too late to practice but will be there Saturday.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
Great looking site from what I can see.  Hope the weather holds for you all. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »
Cannot make it this year, but the field looks great. Perhaps another year.  Trying to get ready for the Ice O Lated in St. Louis on February 27 and the following VSC trip with Wes Eakin.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »
Forgive me if I'm wrong! (my lady says I'm always wrong >:() but I'm only a dumb Englishman  ;D does KOI stand for the King Orange International ? When I was a lad in the '60's, my Flying Models mags showed this as being a BIG event on a Naval base, with every kind of modelling discipline being catered for, on what looks like very hot days? Is this the same event? ???

Cheers
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »
Here are a couple more pics from today ( Sat).

Pic 1 Bob Dixon puts in an early warm up flight with his Fox .35 powered Nobler- the old Fox was a bit reluctant to start at 40 degrees, but soon woke up and was growling around the circle as the sun tried to break through the early morning cloud cover.

Pic 2 is the pit area as pilots and crew set-up for a day of Profile, Old Time Stunt, Classic and N-30.

Pic 3 is Phil Coopy in round 1 of Profile with his Gee Bee inverted - a great looking model both upside down and right side up - even has a dashing pilot in the cockpit!

Tomorrow looks like a full day of PAMPA Skill Class competition- and if the weather is same as today it should be a good one!  I have some pics of todays scoreboards- but they were taken with my wifes new Digi-cam and I have to massage them to get under the limit to post, after I treat her to a nice dinner in St. Augustine.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Lynn Weedman

• x47weed (Lynn Weedman)
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
Forgive me if I'm wrong! (my lady says I'm always wrong >:() but I'm only a dumb Englishman  ;D does KOI stand for the King Orange International ? When I was a lad in the '60's, my Flying Models mags showed this as being a BIG event on a Naval base, with every kind of modelling discipline being catered for, on what looks like very hot days? Is this the same event? ???

Cheers
Yes it is the and same King Orange International.
Lynn Weedman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here