News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:01:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 15 ounce Legacy Wing??  (Read 5973 times)

Offline MrSteve09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
15 ounce Legacy Wing??
« on: October 17, 2012, 02:05:29 PM »
Hey Guys,...

I'm building a Legacy from the Brodak kit.  So far I've got the wing completed to this point.  The wing weighs 15 ounces :o!  Seems kinda heavy to me, as this is the first 60 size airplane I've built AND the first airplane I've built with the landing gear in the wing.  I am hoping to complete this plane under 60 ounces.  With the wing at 15, is that doable or should I scratch the whole thing and start again??

Steve T.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 15 ounce Legacy Wing??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:44:37 PM »
Hi Steve,
While 15 oz seems a bit on the high side I don't think it's outrageous.  You didn't say what power plant you had planned for the Legacy but I had one many years ago that weighed 66 OZ and flew very well with a T&L ST60.  I wouldn't worry about having one at that weight with suitable power.
It's a fairly large wing and provides high lift.
I would strongly reccommend that you add a little more weight to the wing...no not kidding...you definitely should sheet the flaps.  Open flaps covered with silkspan etc. on a large stunter will flex, and flex, and flex...get the idea?  This is a much larger consideration in flight and trimming than a few extra ounces.  Use 4-6 lb 1/16 sheet balsa and it shouldn't add more than 3/4 to 1 oz of weight.  Use slow set CA glue put in the freezer for about half an hour and you won't get any warps on the flaps.  Do not use aliphatic resin (elmers etc) or you will very likely get warps on thin sections like this.
The construction in the wing looks sound and I would not flinch at the weight.  Use light wood in the fuselage and stab/elevator, and keep the finish light.

Should be a good stunter.  
Never sacrifice straightness or stiffness for weight.  It's nearly impossible to trim a plane that flexes in maneuvers.
Incidentally...What engine are you planning to use?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline MrSteve09

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
Randy,...

Thanks for the advice.  I appreciate the vote of confidence!

I am planning on using the Evolution 60 on my Legacy.  Whatchaya think?? :-\

Steve T.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »
Steve,
I haven't had any personal experience with the evolution 60 but would guess that it is powerful enough for the airplane.  I can't, however speak for the quality of "stunt run" to expect from it.
Perhaps someone else with more experience with that engine will chime in here.
My personal reccommendations would be:

PA61/65, ST60, ROJett 61/65/67, Enya 61CRX, OS 55AX with slight mods I detailed in engine set up tips.  I have a lot of experience with all those engines and any of them would be an excellent choice for a big airplane like this.

Understand I'm not berating the Evolution I simply don't know much about them.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Mike Griffin

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
Hi Steve

I certainly cannot add anything to the tips that Randy gave you except he is exactly right about the weight.  I learned the hard way about NOT sheeting built up flaps on larger planes.  This is just a side note but I build almost all Millennium wings for all my planes and after talking recently with Tom Morris (who along with John Simpson  are the Godfathers of this type of wing) we are now actually making the Millennium wing a little heavier by using 3/32nd balsa for the ribs strips in lieu of 1/16th.  I have also used 3/32 sheeting will little weight being added.  I usually fully sheet the Millennium wing but that is a matter of personal choice.

Looks like a great job on the wing Steve and I am sure it will fly great.  The Legacy is a great design and a wonderful flying ship from what I am told....

Mike

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »
I don't have an Evo 60, but one club member has been running one, and it seems to perform very well.

I built a Brodak Legacy with a T&L 51 Super Tigre. at 60 oz.  I seem to remember Brodak wood being OK.  Not too heavy.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »
I'm not directly familiar with the Legacy (isn't this a Brickhouse design?) 15 ounces isn't more than maybe 2 ounces or so high I would think-just watch the rest of it.  I very much agree about the flaps though.  Problem is if you add sheet over what you already have you'll surely go overweight.  You might try what I'm doing now.  Use 4-6 pound 1/4 sheet covered with .2 ounce carbon tissue.  The balsa without the carbon wouldn't be any  better than what you have but add the carbon (and NOT sand much of it off-fill it with clear non-shrink dope) and the flaps will still be light but plenty stiff.  Jim Lee has been using the Evo with  good success this year.  My impression from the ground is that it  has ST .51 power but can swing a bigger prop.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
Hi Steve...I'm curious, in the pictures it looks like the glue is "golden" in color - might that be Ambroid ?  I love the smell of that glue - brings me back  to over 50 years ago. Looking good...yes, I agree, sheet the flaps. The Legacy is a fine performing model.  Keep those pictures coming !!!

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline REX1945

• AMA 19945
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »
Steve,

My Legacy must be an older kit; the flaps are solid and I covered them with silkspan to
reduce the amount of  dope. The elevators are covered and I used silkspan there.

My wing weighed 12 Oz with flaps (cloth hinges) before covering with bellcrank mounted.
No leadouts. I made my own covered tips (not solid).

Finished plane weighs 60 Oz with Saito .56. It flies well and can tolerate a wide range of
CG locations.  I covered it with 8mm silk.

Wooden props ruduce the weight over APC's. The lightest ones are the XOAR's. Saves about 1.2 Oz.

Why didn't you go with the reversed bellcrank ?

Offline MrSteve09

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:06:25 AM »
Just wanted to give an update on my Legacy project.

I've got the fuselage famed up, engine cowled in, and all the relief holes cut. 

Here are a few pictures of the fuselage nose progression so far. 

Next on the agenda is to start carving the top block and shaping up the entire fuselage.

All for now.

Steve T.

P.S.  Yes,... I did use Ambroid glue for the wing sheeting.  I too, love the smell.  Even after a day or two the shop still has a nice "modeling" smell, ha!!

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »
I am flying an Evo 60 in a Shark 45.  Initially I experienced runaway issues with the engine until I put small sheets of foam around the fuel tank.  That fixed the runaway and the engine runs great.  I did experience 2 "flameouts" during a flight after that.  At that time I was using a Thunderbolt RC glow plug.  I changed it to a Fox RC Miracle plug and that seems to have corrected that issue.  The Evo runs cool so the glow plug and fuel are probably a little more critical.    I too am just starting a Legacy and plan to order another Evo 60 for that.

By the way, I am currently using a Xoar 12 x 6 prop running at about 8300 RPM.  Very good runs.
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline MrSteve09

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 07:50:31 AM »
Here is an update on my Legacy construction.  I've got the fuselage framed, carved, shaped, and sanded.  The top block has been carved and hollowed out.  All the major pieces are ready for assembly.

I "pinned" the plane together and threw it on the scale, so far as it sits now it weighs 45.8 ounces!  Still need to add the fuel tank, muffler, landing gear and covering.  Looks like I should come in well below my target weight of 60 ounces,.. I hope!!

Whatchya think?

Steve T.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 08:06:27 AM »
Looks great.......but, I'd still sheet those flaps !
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 08:09:08 AM »
Nice lookin' Legacy.  Good work, my friend.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »
Lookin' good---makes me want to finish mine.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »
Hard to tell, but this is also a Legacy!  Lots of cosmetic mods, but underneath all that is a Legacy. RO-Jett 61. So I now have three of them, and all fly just great! 

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
Looks great!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline MrSteve09

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »
Legacy is ready for covering!  I just finished adding the flap and elevator fairings and fillets.  I've got the fuel tank, muffler, landing gear, prop, and spinner mounted and the weight just before covering is 55.0 ounces.  Hopefully I'll still be able to come in under the 60 ounce weight limit.

Funny thing is the plans show and call out for a Sig 11 inch WWII canopy but the canopy provided in the kit seemed much smaller.  I decided to purchase a Sig 11 inch WWII canopy and the bigger canopy really looks awesome!!  I think it really makes the plane!!

Now I just need to get covering!

Signed,
Steve T.

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
Looking very nice.  Keep it at or under 60 ounces.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 03:40:07 PM »
Steve,

You're model is looking really good!

You can see the difference in canopy size from the photo of Rex's model.

I like the larger canopy better.

Any paint ideas?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
My Legacy when first built.

Mine finished out at 61 ounces ready to go.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:08:06 PM by Allen Brickhaus »

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
Legacy is ready for covering!  I just finished adding the flap and elevator fairings and fillets.  I've got the fuel tank, muffler, landing gear, prop, and spinner mounted and the weight just before covering is 55.0 ounces.  Hopefully I'll still be able to come in under the 60 ounce weight limit.

Hate to tell you this but you will be lucky if it finishes out at 65 ounces. The good news is it will fly just fine at 65 ounces.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here