News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A stunt  (Read 2317 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A stunt
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:19:19 PM »
I hope there is more interest in half A stunt at Brodaks than there was at Joe Nall
rad racer

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2A stunt
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:37:14 AM »
Bob I'm sure there will be. I know of many guys building now for the event.........Skip

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
Getting them built and the interest is easy , keeping them flying was the problem at Joe Nall, at least at Brodak's , we will have John's shop to keep them repaired until Thursday ,,,

How about a head count who plans to compete in 1/2 A on Thursday following the  Ringmaster  event ,

pics  would be ok too

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Jim Damerell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 10:04:34 AM »
Middlesex NJ modelers have at least 4 flying, 3 doing patterns. Two more under construction. I have one built, but I'm not sure I am coming.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »
Just curious .... what maneuvers are required for 1/2A stunt?  With 6 laps to start plus 3 laps between maneuvers, my Black Widow certainly doesn't carry enough to complete all the maneuvers in the Intermediate pattern.  Or is it a matter of flying all you can get in as quickly as possible?  Jus' askin??

Jim

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 11:15:51 AM »
I broke mine at Joe Nall, it would be the 2nd repair if I fixed it and I fear it will be too heavy so another will be built before Brodak. I fly the event Will.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »
Not sure that mine will be done on time.

Lost foam wing with molded fuselage...

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 09:28:04 PM »
Just curious .... what maneuvers are required for 1/2A stunt?  With 6 laps to start plus 3 laps between maneuvers, my Black Widow certainly doesn't carry enough to complete all the maneuvers in the Intermediate pattern.  Or is it a matter of flying all you can get in as quickly as possible?  Jus' askin??

Jim

1/2A stunt typically uses the standard AMA pattern. The engine should be no larger than .049 if rules are followed strictly, but lots of clubs allow up to 1cc which includes .061. The airplane can be any size or shape. A Cox reed engine will have to fly a different airplane than a Norvel .049 or .061 (smaller) but could be done. Tons of kits and designs out there. 1/2A stunt has been flown at the NATS many time over the years. 1/2A doesn't necessarily mean Cox .049.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 07:50:45 AM »
Will I'll be there and I'm sure Banjock will be as well. I know of at least two others. I have a Pinto and am trying to finish up a Pathfinder......Cheers,PhillySkip

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »
     1/2A stunt typically uses the standard AMA pattern. The engine should be no larger than .049 if rules are followed strictly, but lots of clubs allow up to 1cc which includes .061. The airplane can be any size or shape. A Cox reed engine will have to fly a different airplane than a Norvel .049 or .061 (smaller) but could be done. Tons of kits and designs out there. 1/2A stunt has been flown at the NATS many time over the years. 1/2A doesn't necessarily mean Cox .049.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
Thanks Dan!  Guess I jus' ain't got what it takes using a Black Widow!   :-\ !

Jim

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »
If refueling is allowed, You can WIN with a Black Widow. I won 1/2 A at Woodlawn one year with my original Frite Streak forward swept flying wing. Black Widow power, Cox 5x3 black prop. As I recall, only one pit stop. Landed with 1 second to spare, but by George I made it.

One of my all time favorite trophies! I beat John Wright! He was flying my design SkyFire built by Bart Klapinski. Talk about a clean sweep victory, it doesn't get better than that!

Oh, a minor detail, Brett Buck was pitting for me! Thanks Brett!!!  y1 #^ ;D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »
If refueling is allowed, You can WIN with a Black Widow. I won 1/2 A at Woodlawn one year with my original Frite Streak forward swept flying wing. Black Widow power, Cox 5x3 black prop. As I recall, only one pit stop. Landed with 1 second to spare, but by George I made it.

One of my all time favorite trophies! I beat John Wright! He was flying my design SkyFire built by Bart Klapinski. Talk about a clean sweep victory, it doesn't get better than that!

Oh, a minor detail, Brett Buck was pitting for me! Thanks Brett!!!  y1 #^ ;D
Man, that's great!  My hat's off to you for that.  Good to know about the allowance for refueling.  I can ask the next time.  I wonder of that will be allowed at Brodak's??

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
   You could use your Black Widow, I would just change out the original tank for anything that would fit in it's place, even a BabyBee tank that leaked, drill a hole in it for fuel line to pass through, and run an external tank on a plane that was sized appropriately for it. A back plate from a later model product engine with mounting holes would work also. I think some where around an ounce to an ounce and a half would do it for fuel load, then work on handle spacing and control movement and speed for comfort. You can get a 1/2A model to fly pretty well if you spend some time with it.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »
You can get a 1/2A model to fly pretty well if you spend some time with it.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
Thanks Dan!  You're all right  :)!!

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
1/2 A  Stunt Rules Brodak Fly Inn

Tim Tipton is the Event Director for 1/2  A Stunt at Brodak fly in

Full AMA  Patrern
Engine  049 to .061
Full Modern AMA Stunt pattern
Appearance points for all models built by the competitor
Maximum of 2 pilots can share a model, no appearance points for borrowed plane or arf
Eight minute time limit
Safety thong reqd

Minimum stunt pattern option,,,
1/2 A minimum AMA stunt pattern rules are stated below to obtain the goal of flying on .5 ounce tank.
The elimination of laps will help speed up the contest and allow the contestants to complete the modified pattern with all of the maneuvers included .
Three laps after takeoff lap before the wing over .
Minimum One lap between maneuvers except inverted which will be three laps.
The minimum flight plan must be declared before flight and marked on score sheet.
Takeoff and landing will be judged with field conditions taken into consideration.
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »
1/2 A  Stunt Rules Brodak Fly Inn

Tim Tipton is the Event Director for 1/2  A Stunt at Brodak fly in:
Thanks  H^^

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »
Bob,

The mini Tsunami and I will be there, and ready to give it a try

Tim
Tim Stagg

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »
Motorman, I'm flying an RSM Pinto which is a "Mini Me" Oriental .It weighs 10.5 oz. and is Monokote covered.  The engine is a V-A .049 (has variable port timing) At present I'm using an APC 5.7x3 prop. The fuel is my home brew 15% nitro 20% Castor/Syn. The fuel tank is homemade and has about 1.3oz capacity. I'm now flying on .008x42' lines with about 2.5" line spacing.

I can set the engine up to go much faster,but with the 42' lines my lap time is about 4.9 which is about right. I tried my Norvel .061 Big Mig,but didn't have enough fuel capacity. At Brodaks it may be ok because of the altitude change.

I was trying to fly on 50' lines,but got too much line drag (sway back)
I'm building a Pathfinder but need to get it done and tested. The Pinto is an excellent flyer......Skip

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here