News:

• May 26, 2024, 03:13:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Fun Fly in Huntersville, NC 9-28-2013  (Read 736 times)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
1/2A Fun Fly in Huntersville, NC 9-28-2013
« on: September 28, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »
We had a great 1/2A Fun-Fly day in Huntersville, NC today. It was a great experience, the first time I've ever been in the same place with more than one other control liner. I saw combat planes, scale planes, self designs, speed planes... flown by women too, glad to see that. All kinds of planes. It was billed as a 1/2A event but lots of big stunters showed up too, including my comparatively diminutive Shoestring. Before the club meeting, lots of little ones were in the air, hoping for an award for best flight, best plane in several categories, etc.

I took the Li'l Satan and both Baby Streaks. My signature plane today was the Norvel Streak which I had been fixing up for 3 days. To qualify for any award, it had to fly. I took it up to the grass field since it wasn't as busy as the paved circles. I ripped off a really nice circle burner, That Norvel hauls ass too. I flew every stunt I knew I could pull off cleanly. I'd forgotten what a dream that plane is to fly. I had planned it out while I should have been sleeping last night.

I arrived early, so before the crowd came I got a few Shoestring flights in on the paved circle. My first time over a hard surface, but all went well. I got some of the roundest loops I've ever done and after a couple of tries one of my best ever horizontal 8s. I flew the full pattern minus an abort here and there a few times. Surprisingly the pavement didn't intimidate me. I think I'm past splatting it.

Will Davis took a bunch of pictures, so maybe he'll post those. Here are a few I took:

My fleet

Me and my BFS

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2A Fun Fly in Huntersville, NC 9-28-2013
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:38:23 AM »
That is great to see so many planes for just a fun fly.   Now, as you get more flight time and start to relax a little your pattern will start coming around also.   Remember to keep having fun.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »
We really had a good time out at Huntersville, perfect weather, little to no wind, then some minor gust, great fall NC flying weather, 

I think this is the most 1/2 A planes I have ever seen at on time, alot of nice , good flying models,we had three  circles going all day,

We also had some carrier flights, racing and stunt flights going for Contest practice

Rusty is really looking good with the shoestring, made alot of progress on sat, getting ready for the October contest,
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »
A couple pictures from the contest, very nice 1/2 of a A trophy , by Jo and Everette Shoemaker
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here