News:

• May 03, 2024, 06:14:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 109 preassembled for photo op  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
109 preassembled for photo op
« on: December 10, 2007, 01:34:31 PM »
Gents,
I thought I would post a pict or two of my 109 progress. I have the major componants built and am fitting them now. Its starting to look like somehting. I do realize now that I need a bigger bench if I am going to build this size airplane!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
Re: 109 preassembled for photo op
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 02:03:23 PM »
Outstanding Mark. What are going to be running  in it?
Steve

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:07:11 PM »
That is cool!!! H^^
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 02:10:20 PM »
Thanks, it is powered by a SSW modified Magnum .53, 637" sq of wing.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:33:52 PM »
VERY nice.....Bob H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 03:21:22 PM »
Thanks, it is powered by a SSW modified Magnum .53, 637" sq of wing.

Hi Mark,

You have done well! ;D  I remember not too long ago making a comment to you about the fact that the guys who show up (newbies) with nice stuff usually make the biggest (quickest) progress.  You have definitely proven that theory!

The .53 should haul that Bf-109 all over the sky in fine fashion as long as you don't end up at 80 oz! LOL!!  J/K,  it is looking really nice and I am sure it is going to surprise you with it's flying!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 03:24:35 PM »
Mark,

Yea, go ahead and preen your feathers.  :)

It really is looking very good. I think the paint scheme you picked out is going to be killer. Rod better watch out. You may strafe him.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »
GREEEEAT! job Mark! Don't stop now!!!  H^^
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »
WAAAAY COOL!!! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 06:09:14 PM »
Hey Mark,  DITTO to what all these other guys said!!!  super cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! y1 y1 y1 #^ #^ #^ H^^ H^^ H^^ (PE**) (PE**) CLP** CLP** HH%% HH%% f~ f~
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 06:22:51 PM »
Daz Loookin Goood. Very interesting. Lot of Pat's influence here. H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ HB~>

Joejust

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
I dont like it! I think you should have kept flying the Ukey. y1
Joe

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 07:09:17 PM »
Joe, Joe, Joe,, shame on you,, you should be nice, Christmas is coming and Santa is watching
Besides, that one is now reserved for Jessica!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 11:45:26 PM by Mark Scarborough »
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 10:39:38 PM »
Mark, all I can say is WOW! That is so awesome! One of the best looking stunters I've ever seen. Of course, I'm partial to semi-scales.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:06:11 AM »
As all have previously stated,  the plane looks great.  Be sure and post the final finish.  By the way, the shop looks too neat, especially the bench.  Now as someone by the name of Tom keeps telling me, "be naughty and save Santa a trip".  MERRY CHRISTMAS, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:47:17 AM »
Thanks all for the positive feedback, its my second design, the first was my Gee Bee Y profile last summer. Pat and Randy are great helps though I really wish they would move a bit closer to me!
Doc, jokes on you, my "clean shop" isnt really a shop ,its my living room so there! hehe,, and whatever you do dont tell my girlfriend that other guys have a shop they work in, I have her convinced that all you guys build in your living rooms, or at least a dedicated room in the house. yoou know its the whole heating an uninsulated shop thing.
As I finish up the controls and hinging, I am deciding on how many of the warts and bumps to put on it. THe prototype is a real challange of surface detail. Oh and the cowling will be fun too
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 08:56:25 AM »
 I'm really diggin' this model Mark, the thing is SUPER cool. It's really nice too see some fresh, original stuff, especially Warbirds!
 Are'nt you the guy who did the profile bubble top P-40 about a year ago?  Is it finished? Do you have any pictures of that one we could see?

Thanks!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 10:00:48 AM »
THanks warbird
YEs I am he who did the P-40 Q last year. Alas that model didnt survive long. I had an incident with it on its fourth flight. flying off grass and hadnt had this particular problem. I snagged a dandelion with the lines, long story short, it was a great flying plane for its short life. It hangs in my living room, my girlfreind loves the paintjob on that one, its still pretty much intact except the nose is gone. Since then I did a profile Gee Bee Y model and now this . I had another profile, a bf 109 , that I had built, and was in process of finishing when I lost the Q model. I decided to do all monokote finishs for the year last year because of my skill level ( um ok so its lack of skill level  ???) I made enough progress that I decided to go ahead and step up to a full on ship this year. I will be finishing this one and my profile 109 for next years contest season. I think there are some pictures of the profile 109 on here somewhere? I will see if I can find them if you are interested. I will be starting off the year in Intermidiate but probably moving to advanced somewhere along the line. The profile is based on the wing for the P-40 Brodak Profile  and it too uses dihedral. I probably wouldnt have the confidence to do this if not for Pat Johnston and RAndy Powell, those two guys have helped me immensly!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »
I'm the one that launched the P-40Q when it did it's swan dive. Sigh... Still feel bad about that even though I just let go.

Mark does good work. He will be an Expert soon enough.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 10:58:59 AM »
Thanks all for the positive feedback, its my second design, the first was my Gee Bee Y profile last summer. Pat and Randy are great helps though I really wish they would move a bit closer to me!
Doc, jokes on you, my "clean shop" isnt really a shop ,its my living room so there! hehe,, and whatever you do dont tell my girlfriend that other guys have a shop they work in, I have her convinced that all you guys build in your living rooms, or at least a dedicated room in the house. yoou know its the whole heating an uninsulated shop thing.
As I finish up the controls and hinging, I am deciding on how many of the warts and bumps to put on it. THe prototype is a real challange of surface detail. Oh and the cowling will be fun too
Hey Guys!!! Did you notice he said GIRLFRIEND, wait until he's married. Things seem to change a little after the circle is put on that finger!!!!! Ha Ha, just kidding, really looks great, the one hanging on the wall looks great also. Have a great day, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »
See I told you Randy has been abig help, he even helps me crash my planes too!!
 LL~ LL~
ok well not really but you have to admit it sounds good right? I can blema him right?

Gary,,
yeah been there done that, girlfriend is destined to be girlfreind for a long time. and the plane on the wall is my Oriental, she wont let me fly that one, she says it looks to good in the  living room, part of the decor!
top that hehe
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 02:54:27 PM »
>>See I told you Randy has been abig help, he even helps me crash my planes too!!<<

Hey, I do what I can. You needed, ah, seasoning.

I have to say that the Messerschmidt is a big project. I was a bit surprised you jumped right in. Takes some stomach, that. But for all that, it's coming along really well. I'll be anxious to see on the contest circuit next year.

Hey, the boy has skills.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »
I've been watching over Mark's shoulder over these last few months.  He not only has a terrific design here, but is doing a fantastic build on the 109.  Looking Spectacular!!!  It is inspiring to have Mark in amongst our North West group.  So often we jump-start each others enthusiasm.  Also Mark is a good buddy.  We also had the pleasure of teaching his step daughter, Jessica, to fly at the great McMinnville contest last August.  Now THAT was fun.  It is a good thing to infect the kids with the modeling bug.
Did you all hear we have a Year of the Warbird~2008 for the Northwest (District 11)?  We have Mustangs, Huricanes, Kowasaki "Tony", Spitfire, P-47, Corsair, and of course, Mark's 109 on the board.  Good variety.  I'm sure we will have more to come.
So here's the challenge:  Want to get into the action and get your group into the warbird mania?  We have more designs available, several versions of P-40's, Hellcats, Bearcats, Wildcats, A6M Zero, too.  Lots of designs and so little time.  Better start building!
Pat Johnston

Joejust

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »
Hey Pat, don't forge marc Conner's "Black Widow", and I have started my P-38.  Now, if only we can get a contest in  early Fall(hint,hint) to feature a warbird gathering!
Joe Just

Willis Swindell

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 08:47:51 AM »
Mark
What color scheme are you going to use? I looked for weeks for a different paint scheme  to  to paint my Brodak 109. Here is a couple captured 109 in different nations colors.
Willis  H^^

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 11:36:37 PM »
Willis....I know that the Finns flew Bf 109's with baby blue, counter-rotating swastikas, on white background. They mostly fought the Soviets, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they fought the Germans a bit. I was told by a Latvian friend that the Latvian's had an AF, and their insignia was a red counter-rotating swastika on a white background (band across wing chord or around fuselage, I think). I'm sure there would have been a 109 flown at Wright Field after WWII, possibly with stars and bars. I just went through all the pics I have of Axis planes at Wright Field (my brother was in the pictures), and all had OEM markings. I have one picture of an Oscar with stars n bars, but don't know where it was taken. Here's a pic of a Finnish Brewster Buffalo, and a Finnish-built Pyorremyrsky 3-view, too.  D>K Steve

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:30:35 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »
Steve,
thanks for the pictures, really would have been an experience to reach out and touch some of that history! I have two 109s to paint, the scheme for the built up is decided, finito' . it is a german scheme complete with german markings. the other , my profile, is under review, I have found a Swiss scheme that will look pretty sharp and have lots of color but its undecided at this point. the powder blue reversed swastika isnt really my thing, the Romanians had some as well, all in all I have color plates for at least 6 or 7 countries that flew the 109, this doesnt count the scheme for british roundels and american stars that I have reference for. I just like the traditional markings, its a bf 109, not a mustang, so I want it in its true colors. Oh btw, there is also documentation for on that has the Japanese meatballs on it!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 11:32:28 AM »
HI MArk,

I built a Jack Sheek's BF-109 and did it in the full blown Swiss Markings!   I will definitely do the next one that way, also.  Those red and white stripes along with the white crosses really pop!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 11:44:03 AM »
Bill ,
thanks for the feedback, I knew there was another 109, is the Sheeks 109 classic legal? I am looking at the plans for the Mackey 109 which is classic legal, Thinking about a trio of 109s for next year, profile, built up and classic. can you give me a few more particulars about it perhaps?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 12:09:22 PM »
Bill ,
thanks for the feedback, I knew there was another 109, is the Sheeks 109 classic legal? I am looking at the plans for the Mackey 109 which is classic legal, Thinking about a trio of 109s for next year, profile, built up and classic. can you give me a few more particulars about it perhaps?

Hi Mark,

The one I built is Classic legal, and IIRC, Jack had one, maybe two other 109s.  Mine was a 50" WS, had a Fox 35, and flew pretty good!

I will have to look on my plans tonight, it was published in FM, not exactly sure of the date, but it was designed and flown before Jan. 1, 1970.  Nice, easy D-Tube build.  Very simple and a very Noblerish airfoil!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 02:42:36 PM »

Mark,

I think canopy frames are the icing on the cake for WWII semi-scale.  I was interested in Al Rabe's description of his techique for doing them in his Mustunt IV series.  Do you use the same technique?  Any tips?  Like...don't have shaky hands!   LL~

Thanks,
Kim Mortimore 
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 02:53:28 PM »
Kim,
not sure about Al Rabe's method? What I did was build them up from 1/8 balsa and 1/64 ply. I cut the two "U" shaped frames from the ply, two for each U, then used 1/8 x 1/8 to give it some bulk. the ply was the strenght. Then I installed those two on the airframe and connected them with similarly constructed longerons. The front downtube frames were a touch more intricate but formed the same way. Then I adhered clear PTEG plastic in sections to the framework. Lastly I masked the outside of the clear leaving the exterior framework areas exposed. I mixed a putty of epoxy and microballoons and smeared it over the exposed areas then pulled the tape. The one problem I had is that I use GOOD tape, 3m painters tape, autobody stuff, and it sticks really really good. In pulling the mask it pulled part of one of the panels up and now I will have to rework it I am afraid. I just cant let it be. There is a thread under building techniques more aimed at what I did for the panel but it talks about the canopy too.
Just to save you some time I will repost the pictures here for you too.
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=7403.0
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 05:50:47 PM »
Nice plane. Nice Cave. It looks like you have a bigger bench down there .......................somewhere. What kind of covering are you going to use?
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 06:02:48 PM »
well the bench isnt all that big, but it works for now. The box the plane is sitting on in the pictues is a fan~filter combination I made up to keep from spreading to much balsa dust around the room. The filter takes up a fair share of the work surface and my horrible habits infringe on the rest. My plan is to use polyspan on the wings, elevators and rudder. the balance will be silkspan or CF veil, still undecided. This beastis about 15% bigger than everything else I have built and it makes it uncomfortable space wise. I plan on enlarging the bench when this project is done,but then there is the classic plane I want to build so that may wait a bit longer.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 08:47:40 PM »
I like the plants next to the spackle jars. nice touch. They soak up those glue fumes!
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 10:46:26 PM »
Oh to the contrary, those are in fact Baskin and Robbins ice cream containers that work pretty well for housing special concoctions of dope reduced for different purposes. They in fact only work for about oh, a month or so before softening ever so slightly and not sealing quite as well.  It is at that point that a road trip to the local Baskin and Robbins store is imperative or I can no longer mix my various concoctions of dope. Hey its my story just dont tell Linda or the jig will be up. But you are correct, the plants help preserve the fresh air in the room by obsorbing various foreign scents. Only problem is when Linda waters them, I have to watch, sometimes they overflow and then they get on my power tools, Thats why the bandsaw looks so new, ,hehe,

(ok not really but it could happen right?)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2007, 12:20:22 AM »
Mark,

It is great to see another Scale Type airplane that looks the part!

While the Classic era is great, most of the Classic Scale-Like stunters looked like modified stunters. With today's power, controls, trim devices, etc, etc we are now seeing airplanes that look more real. Congratulations on adding another one to the fold.

Also, I hope that you have recieved the Mackey 109 drawings that I sent to you.
AMA 7544

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2007, 08:17:48 AM »
Tom,
thanks for the posotive comments. The plans havent arrived as of yet but it is Christmas so some times it takes a bit longer. I was very inspired by Pat Johnstons semiscale designes, and of course Al Rabe and Ron Burn, but I tend towards Pats stuff wich is just a bit more to the stunt side of design. I really want to do a 109 that has the pure scale crossection but for now with my building skill level I am stretching myself now. I guess that will wait for a bit.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 08:45:14 AM »
Tom,
(snip) I really want to do a 109 that has the pure scale crossection but for now with my building skill level I am stretching myself now. I guess that will wait for a bit.

Mark,  Your building skill level is only what you decide it is.  You would have no trouble, whatsoever, building a *pure scale* BF-109.  It's all up to you. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here