News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:03:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tribute to David Shipton 1925 - 2011  (Read 4428 times)

Offline John Cralley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tribute to David Shipton 1925 - 2011
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
Tribute to Dave Shipton 1925-2011

Dave Shipton passed away at age 86 on June 7, 2011. Sadly this marks the end of an era in American model airplane history.

Some current control line model airplane fliers may not know about Dave Shipton but many of us older control line fliers do.  Dave was an active participant in early modeling and for many years ran a mainly mail order hobby shop from his home near Delavan, IL which he called Hobby Hideaway.  Dave advertised in modeling magazines and you may remember his ads.  Dave converted a large barn into the location for Hobby Hideaway and a museum that he called “Wings and Things.”   The museum features a multitude of models, engines, kits and even parts from full scale aircraft.  Many of the models are Dave’s creations and he was happy to tell any visitor about them calling on an unbelievable wealth of aircraft knowledge.  He not only sold model kits and supplies but he also kitted and sold models of his own design.  Dave was also a prolific model builder and he especially loved scale models.  For many years Dave was a top scale model competitor and he also was active as a judge and contest director.

As was mentioned in his obituary, his proudest model achievement was a scale model of a Curtiss Condor which was accepted by the Smithsonian Institution and is still on display in the Air and Space Museum on the National Mall.  Dave was meticulous for detail and it is not a surprise that this shows in the following story.

A few weeks ago, fellow modeler, Jim Swearingen, had the opportunity to visit Washington D.C.  Dave reminded Jim, before he left, about his Curtiss Condor model that the Smithsonian Institution owned and asked Jim to look for it at the Air and Space Museum.  Jim told me that he said to himself, “Sure, Dave, that airplane is probably in storage if they even still have it.”  However, when Jim visited the museum he was surprised to discover that the Curtiss Condor was indeed on display and the label credited David Shipton as its creator.  Jim took a photo of the model and presented Dave with a nice enlargement when he returned to Central Illinois from his trip.  Dave was delighted to get the photo!

A short time afterward Dave entered the hospital where he died following a brief illness.  During Dave’s hospitalization his minister stopped by to visit him. While standing just outside Dave’s curtained bed, Dave’s wife, Mary Ann, showed his minister the Condor photo and told him that is was a rather large model with a wing span of 61 inches. At that point the curtain rattled and Dave announced in a loud voice, “It really is a 61 and ½ inch wing span!!!”

During the summer of 2010 three modelers from the Tree Town Modelaires Club from the suburban Chicago area came down to fly with some local modelers at the circle that Dave kept at Hobby Hideaway.  Fred Krueger, secretary of the Tree Town Modelaires Club, put out a special edition of their newsletter called, “Slack Lines,” featuring the fun fly and Dave’s museum.  Below are some photos that Fred included in the newsletter.

Here is a link to David Shipton’s obituary:

http://www.davismortuaryinc.com/Visitations/2011/printshipton.html

Dave Shipton was a one of a kind and he will be missed by all who knew him.

My sympathy goes out to Dave's family.

John Cralley
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:33:18 PM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tribute to David Shipton 1925 - 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
Very well written tribute, John, thank you.  Every one we lose hurts, prayers and comfort to Dave's family.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »
If anyone wishes to see the entire "Slack Lines" supplement devoted to Hobby Hideaway, just go to the link below and click on the pdf button in the upper right corner. This will allow you to download the file and view it with a pdf reader such as Adobe Reader. Unfortunately the file is too large to be attached here in Stunt Hanger.

http://www.wix.com/jccrall/ringmasters-rule

John Cralley
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:45:54 AM »
Thanks to you guys for the notice of the passing of another great modeller.   Also thanks for the trip and pictures of Dave's world of planes.   :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
Dave was a great modeler. May he rest in peace. My prayers for his family.
Last year Dave gave me a set of plans for his "Deweybird" and permission to kit the airplane. This is a 45" wingspan profile scale classic legal stunt airplane. I will be producing a laser cut kit as a tribute to Dave.
John, Thanks for the postings about Dave's passing.
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
A final Fly-In will be held a Dave Shipton's "Hobby Hideaway" on August 6, 2011.

This will most likely be the last opportunity to visit Dave's "Wings and Things" Barn Museum chocked full of models and model related things.

Below is the announcement I received from Dave's family. This is a country location and not necessarily easy to find so I suggest that you Google the address and figure out the best way to get there. If you have a GPS so much the better.

I hope to see a bunch of new faces as well as old friends at the Fly-IN. If you live at a distance this would be a good chance to visit Peoria, Bloomington/Normal or Springfield, IL. Springfield, by the way, has a great Lincoln Museum that is worth a trip all by itself.

Dave Shipton Memorial Fly Day will be Saturday, Aug. 6, at Wings 'n Things Museum, 1840 Brownwood Rd., Delavan, IL.

Modelers are welcome to come out & fly from dawn 'til dusk.  Family will bury Dave's remains in the center of the flying circle at 11 a.m., and send him on his way with, "Atta boy, Charlie".

Please bring your own drinks, food and lawn chairs, as well as your models and stories.

Thanks so much!

Beth Shipton McCleary
Matt Shipton
Mary Ann Shipton
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »
For those who might be interested, below is a link to photos the Curtiss Condor model that Dave Shipton built and which is on display at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on the Mall in Washington, D.C. This will give you an idea of Dave's meticulous scale building ability.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_t_in_dc/3547077963/in/photostream/
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »
Many years ago -- 1988, to be exact -- Dave Shipton was instrumental in helping me plan a 50" span profile version of his Stinson Model U.  This was in the days before e-mail.  We exchanged several letters, and he sent numerous photos of his full-fuselage version for me to use in detailing the profile version which went on to win several contests.  He was a real gentleman, and very helpful with this effort.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »
Well the final memorial for Dave Shipton took place yesterday.

His ashes were placed in the center of his flying circle at Hobby Hideaway which as his son Matt said, "is exactly where he wanted to be!" About twenty friends and family and a hand full of control line fliers attended. Fred Krueger put up some nice demonstration flights as did several other fliers. Below are  a couple of photos that Fred took yesterday and also I added one of mine which I took last year of Dave watching us fly at his field.

Dave was a great old time modeler and I can only wish that I had a chance to know him better.

Rest in peace Dave!!!
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here