News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:14:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: STEVE STEVENSON Remembered!! Need help on this one.  (Read 995 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
STEVE STEVENSON Remembered!! Need help on this one.
« on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:16 AM »
A while back...at a hanger-trash n' rash session....we started bringing up special folks over the years that had some really special gifts and one name POPPED UP first and fore most was
the late STEVE STEVENSON.
Never a contest went by without seeing some new project or some new model airplane gidjet'-gadget that he would lovingly share n' show everyone who would take a moment to listen..STEVEN,  this beautiful addicted soul who just loved anything and everything about  model airplanes...or for that matter ANYTHING THAT HATH WINGS, to so many of us...was his talent and gift FOR FLYING MORE THAN JUST ONE (THREE IN FACT!) MODEL AIRPLANES in the circle at one time.
Although Steve is gone....I am certain that I am not the only one who every time I see a model in flight, be it at an informal get together or at a local contest, could virtually  feel his presence, his spirit has remained in our hearts for all these years.

If anyone has old photos or stories of this gentleman who spent so much time enjoying the passions of model building and flying, please scan them and tell us more?

Hey... I can still almost see him, even today, Steve walking up to us with some kind of model thingeee' in his hands, that big grin and that well noted greeting that was sure to be his first words ala'...
"HEY, SHULTZIE.... LOOK HERE...EVERYONE NEED AT LEAST ONE OF THESE!"
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Re: STEVE STEVENSON Remembered!! Need help on this one.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:41:09 PM »
If anyone has old photos or stories of this gentleman who spent so much time enjoying the passions of model building and flying, please scan them and tell us more?
This is the late RF Stevenson of Seattle (now NW) Skyraiders fame?
What happened to that video segment KIRO TV aired on their Inside Edition show about 15 years ago?  Perhaps they still have a copy they can get you?  I let my original copy stay with the Skyraiders and only have a very poorly duplicated copy he had done himself.

I mean, how priceless is it to get 15 minutes of commercial TV coverage during prime time?  The venue was his house (AKA "the Blue Barn") and Carkeek Park where he was shown only flying two CL models (with no throttles) at once.  But he did drag out that football helmet with the handle mounted on top.

He said, "The vibrations coming down the lines and into your head... It's just too much."

Classic  n~

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »
Here is a photo of Jim Walker doing his thing many years ago...I found this shot on google.
Don Shultz

Joejust

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »
I have a copy of the video showing Steve's model collection,his home and him flying with the football helmet. I can pass it on for reproduction. Let me know who in the NW to send it to. I want the original back as Steve sent it to me personally.
Joe Just

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:52:03 PM »
I want the original back as Steve sent it to me personally.
Joe Just
You have one of the mass duplicated copies Steve sent out to a slew of folks.  That's the current version I have as well - the one with his trademark hummingbird stamp.

Before the show aired, the station called me (the reporter who did the story) and I sent out a special newsletter to pass the word along.  I recorded the program as it aired so that copy wasn't as "diluted" as the ones out there now.  I left that copy with the club before I moved to the midwest.  Somewhere in the Puget Sound area someone has a rather pristine copy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here