News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sad to announce the passing of another one of us. Don Gosney has passed.  (Read 1735 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
The Ring Masters Flying Club here in New Orleans lost our dear friend and flying field icon, Don Gosney this past week.  Don was a veteran of the Vietnam war and had battled the effects of agent orange and diabetes most of his life.  He was an active participant in the Rat Racing events at the Nats during the 70's along with another club member Andy Mims who also passed away not too long ago.  Don had not actively flown in several years due to health problems and had lost a leg due to his diabetes. 

Every Sunday afternoon you could find Don at our field whether anyone else was there or not.  He loved to just go and sit in the shade next to the circle and who knows what wonderful memories of days gone by that he was enjoying once again in his mind.  If there were other fliers there, Don would talk as long as you wanted to talk about Control Line flying models. 

It will be hard to imagine not seeing him sitting by the circle when we all meet there again to fly.  Rest in peace Don and we will miss you very much.

Mike Griffin

Here is a picture of Don sitting on the tailgate of his truck talking with Bill Fulmer an AMA official at our field.  This was a typical shot of Don....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 06:51:11 PM by De Hill »

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Sad to announce the passing of another one of us.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »
There are perpetual blue skies and light winds in heaven.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline John Violette

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:19:51 AM »
Thank You Mike ... well said. We will mist, Don, at the flying field. I always look for him at the field or the Hobby Shop ( Hobby Town / Baton Rouge, La.) and spend time with him. I would enjoy seeing his eyes lite-up as he got deep in his story, the more he talk, the more I would enjoy the deep history of control line flying.

John P. Violette

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »

Mike, did he have any family? I never heard him talk about one.
  May Don rest in peace...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Mike Griffin

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
  Mike, did he have any family? I never heard him talk about one.
  May Don rest in peace...

He has a brother.  His mom died a year or so ago I think.  The brother is the only family I knew of.....

Mike

Offline Myron Firmin

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:11:05 PM »
I was always entertained by his stories, even when it was one he told me before.  A wealth of knowledge about C/L, he will be greatly missed.  Thanks, Mike
Myron Firmin
Definition: Work Bench, a place to stack stuff, so you can build on the card table.
www.facebook.com/ringmastersflyingclub

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here