News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:32:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mike Belitz  (Read 6320 times)

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mike Belitz
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »
With the passing of Tom Lay, I started thinking back about my flying buddies from the 70's. Tom Warden, Lucky Pyatt, Jim Armour, and now Tom Lay.  All passed on now.

I came across one other name that I haven't heard from for some time. Mike Belitz. We drove to several Nat's together. We practiced together in Torrance and were good friends. Then I moved to Seattle and we didn't see each other much. He went on to compete with his accordion and won several world championships.

Out of the blue, I heard from him about 5 years ago. We talked, and he had bought a "Score" and was flying in the Oxnard/Ventura area. He was going to attend a GSSC but never showed. Just like that he disappeared. My calls would not connect and the emails bounced back.

Does anyone know of his whereabouts? I sure would like to connect with him again!

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
Re: Mike Belitz
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:53:30 PM »
I flew with Tom Warden back then too. I've always wondered what happened to Bill Noyes who also flew with that group.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
Paul... sadly I think this is your man... there is a picture of him in the gallery (2nd to the last of 35) of him holding his Score. Doing research for my book taught me that I can almost find almost anyone. 

As I play solo gigs on Harmonicas from time to time and fully expect to come back in the next life as an accordion player.. I would have loved to sit down any play with him...

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Michael-Belitz&lc=4612&pid=151264678&mid=4682178&Affiliate=pvnews&PersonID=151264678&FHID=11089

http://obituaries.pvnews.com/obituaries/pvnews/obituary.aspx?n=michael-james-belitz&pid=151168857&fhid=11089

"At this year's Accordion Festival Al announced that our good friend, Mike Belitz, had passed away. Mike was one of the finest persons I have ever met. He held the title of World Champion Old-time Accordionist for several years. We worked together at American Technology Labs, Inc in Stevi."

We are all sorry to lose Mike.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
I flew with Tom Warden back then too. I've always wondered what happened to Bill Noyes who also flew with that group.

Brian
Bill Noyes is my uncle.  I don't have contact with him-no reason, just live in two different worlds,  but he's still kicking about out there in California I understand.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »
The name Mike Belitz rings a bell.  It was a long time ago (1976, to be exact).  He and I were the only two entries in Beginner Stunt at the old Datsun field in Gardena, CA.  As luck would have it, I won the ribbon that day.  (Judges were Bob Whitely & Bart Klapinski.)

If this is the same Mike Belitz, I recall him being very gracious about that.

Haven't seen him since that day.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 07:38:06 PM »
Mike,
The time and place is right. He continued learning and flew with me at the '79 and '80 Nat's.

I remember just before a big UCLA/USC football game he was anxiously waiting to watch. I asked him who he was rooting for as I knew he spent 8 years at UCLA getting a PhD. He said"of course, USC"! I thought that odd until he explained that he spent 9 years getting his second PHD at USC! Wow!!

Jim, I think the Obit matches. However I couldn't see the picture of him with his Score. I am still on our 7 week road trip doing this on my cell phone. Sometimes it won't show certain types of files. I did see 8 people carrying a canoe though.

Wow, another early flying buddy gone. I know Kirk Mullinex and Bob Whitely are still flying. Saw them at GSSC and they are doing well.

Makes me feel old.  :(

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »
. . . Wow, another early flying buddy gone . . . Makes me feel old.  :(
=============================================================

Nice sentiment, indeed....from (in my opinion) the best CLPA flyer ever to pick up a handle.  H^^
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
Bill Noyes is my uncle.  I don't have contact with him-no reason, just live in two different worlds,  but he's still kicking about out there in California I understand.

Dave
One day I was at Bill's house to pick him up. His wife (don't remember her name) packed him a brown bag lunch and wrote "Bill Noyes; Room 8" on the bag. It made me laugh then, and for some reason I still think of that from time to time. I hope Bill is doing well.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

John Leidle

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 11:25:15 PM »
    Paul, 
   As they say " time flies"  my oldest is close to the age I was when I met you at the Boeing flying site. He's 33 soon I was 38 ,  I am drawing my SSI as of this month...    At one of my first Nats I think it was Dave Cook told me that I shouldn't do anything I don't want to do,,, because if I do I'm wasting my life.  I keep as busy as I can here as of the break of dawn I'm driving to the coast for some Salmon fishing.. today was spent flying.
     John 8)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »

Dave
    Is he the same Bill Noyes who's name was connected with the Challenger .40 size profile?  Nice, clean, simple model.
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 06:59:10 AM »
Dan I can't say.   He did make and sell control handles for a while.  I might still have a very old photo of a pair of beautiful Skylarks he had from the 70s.  Need to see if sis has contact info for him.  'Sonny' is the only one still living from that generation on Moms side of the fam.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 12:02:29 PM »

I know Kirk Mullinex and Bob Whitely are still flying. Saw them at GSSC and they are doing well.

Makes me feel old.  :(

Me too! Kirk Mullinex taught me how to cut foam wings. I remember driving 62 miles from my place to his house one way. 124 miles round trip to learn how to cut wings.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »
Thanks again Jim for finding this. Now that we are home, I was able to look at it on the laptop. Yes, this is absolutely the Mike I knew years ago. I am sad that I was unable to see him before he left us.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 11:07:21 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that too, Paul. I remember him as a very nice man, he bought me two gallons of fuel once at Whittier when I was starting out in my flying career and didn't have much dough to spend on models and when I later was trying to pay him back he refused and told me to buy another couple. He flew down as up, as I recall.
Nice man, glad I knew him.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here