News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:10:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lost Another One, Kim Mortimore  (Read 2067 times)

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Lost Another One, Kim Mortimore
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:49:25 PM »
I just found out that Kim Mortimore has departed for the eternal circles in the sky this last Sunday the 24TH. He will be missed as he was one of the "GOOD" Circle Jerks. :'(

I am in shock that you are gone Kim. R.I.P. I will miss you.

God Speed, Jerry

Sorry Mike, I never was a very good speller.....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:18:08 PM by Gerald Arana »

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lost Another One
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »
That is so sad.  Didn't think Kim was in a bad way.  Condolences to all his friends,

Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Online Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »
Sorry to hear he was a good guy, and always willing to help, I will miss him. <>< God Bless
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:37:29 PM »
Boy this is a sudden loss.  Didn't know he was in a bad way.  My prayers for his family.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »
Kim Mortimore (let's spell it right, for posterity's sake), native of Iowa, a kind and decent guy, had a wonderful sense of humor, especially in the many long emails we traded over the years, skewering the high and pretentious - including me from time to time - without mercy. Creative writing was his college major. Highly intelligent, overqualified for his sales job at Hewlett Packard, endlessly curious, lover of the exquisitely perfect technical explanation of anything and everything, but never a know it all. He peppered our leading lights with requests for explanation and loved trading posts with Ted and Brett and the other guys who know what's what in our realm. Kim was a regular in my garage and we put together many a project. Sadly he had worsening health problems and hand tremors that prevented him from building for the last decade or so. even making it hard or impossible to hold the handle and fly. He did say he may have exaggerated a few times just to get visits with his Kaiser doctor, India's Miss Universe entrant according to him. Kim's health went downhill rapidly in the last year, and he was on a lot of pain meds. Don't know the cause yet but it doesn't really matter. Maybe the nicest thing is that when my daughter was about eight, and a good judge of people, she said, "You know, I really like Kim!"

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:18:42 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this sad news. I met Kim only once, at the first Clovis GSSC that I went to. He was tabulating, and I ran some scorecards, but he was always cheerful and I came to like him quickly. Godspeed, Kim...
 :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
I just don't know where to start here.
I have known and adored Kim for ten plus years. Even with all of his goofy ideas, we went back and forth on trim and tank philosophies on sooooo many occasions. My line was always, " Look, the last five Nats top twenty have done it this way so how can you argue with that"  He would always argue anyway.
Kim was welcomed to my home to watch many a hockey and baseball games and he was always so greatfull to be included in my other loves with my friends.
I have suspected the his health was in decline as the last four months or so. He brought out his plane, but never flew. He seemed to be tired and lacked focus and energy.
For the last ten years, Kim showed up at our flying field every weekend as clock work. He has not shown up for the last four or five weeks, so I figured something was not right.
His passing sorrows me as he was one of the true Circle Jerks. I will miss him dearly and remember him always.

Kim was my friend and I will miss him.

With heavy heart, Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:12:44 AM »
I am very sorry to hear this. Kim was a wonderful correspondent, greatly intersted in many things, He liked my last plane so much that I made him the plans he requested, plus a collection of pictures and notes, upon which he wrote much. I wish I had actually known him. He was friendly, inquisitive, supportive, and appreciative, but most of all I sensed that he was a giving kind of guy who contributed. 'just the kind of guy you'd want for a good friend and flying buddy. So I'm very sorry especially for his friends' loss.

SK

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
Well, I'm shocked. Seems like just a short time ago, my wife Joey and I were assisting Kim with his .40 Formula plane at Merced...
Saw him at all the Clovis functions, yes he could argue!

He will be missed... I used to call him the 'Stand-in for Michael J. Pollard'.  Lovely gentleman. Godspeed.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
. He peppered our leading lights with requests for explanation and loved trading posts with Ted and Brett and the other guys who know what's what in our realm. Kim was a regular in my garage and we put together many a project.

In my case, there was a lot more to it than that. Kim had some issues, shall we say, that made coming out and flying with people a very difficult step for him. We exchanged many emails back and forth on some topics of mutual interest before he was able to start joining in.  Very similar issues that I have sometimes, although his was to a far greater degree. I like to think that this helped him overcome some of his demons and eventually I think the flying sessions were a big highlight for him. He certainly threw in with a good bunch and although he was certainly an interesting guy to interact with, it mostly worked out just fine for everyone.

I am very saddened to hear about this because I had no idea he was having health issues, much less life-threatening health issues.

Brett

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 09:20:31 PM »

He certainly threw in with a good bunch and although he was certainly an interesting guy to interact with, it mostly worked out just fine for everyone. 

Brett

You know what a twisted group The Gilroy Crew can be. Kim certainly fit right in from day one.

Brett, you have no idea how much Kim admired and respected you. Maybe even as much as I do.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 10:01:32 AM »
Yes, Kim will be missed.  The last few year Kim was not able to attend any contest, but I did see him at a few of the Alameda Fun Fly BBQ...
Here is the only photo of Kim I could find.  It was at the 2007 4th of July Fun Fly:

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here