News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:36:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lost a good friend Thursday, Gary Widmer.  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Lost a good friend Thursday, Gary Widmer.
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »
I just got the news that a good friend, Gary Widmer, died Thursday morning. . I will miss him.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:46:12 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Lost a good friend Thursday.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »
Sorry, Ty.  Requiescat in Pace...
ama 72090

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »
Is this true???  Gary and I corresponded frequently by e-mail.  Someone please confirm this news!!!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
I remember reading the name somewhere.  It is hard to take at times when someone younger than yourself leaves this peice of space rock.  DOC Holliday :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:50:46 PM »
Well, it's been confirmed by two reliable sources.  Gary Widmer is gone.  "Wid" was a former C-130 and C-141 pilot (1st Lt) during Vietnam, and a very funny, no-nonsense guy.  I , for one, shall miss him and his "in your face" humor.

Of course it's also troubling that he was considerably younger.....

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:38:14 AM »
Ty, I understand your loss and we all need more friends, not less. My condolences are with you and his family...

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »
Terrible news.  The past few weeks have been tough on the Stunt community. Anybody have a good photo of Gary? I recognize the name but can't put a face with it. EDIT Here's a photo courtesy of Lana Ashford via Mike Keville.

Here is a photo that I would like to share with those of you who have known Gary for a long time. It was taken at my goodbye party in 1982 when my husband and I were moving to Paris. This I love this photo because he & Mary look so happy and he has a twinkle in his eyes.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:31:01 PM »
Thanx, Elwyn.  I was unable to save that photo to file.  Somehow knew you'd know how to do it.  Although an older photo of "Wid", it's the only one I've ever seen, other than a small one of him as a C-141 pilot enroute to Vietnam, which I once published in the now defunct "The Trailing Edge" column of "Stunt News".

Although we'd never actually met, we corresponded frequently via e-mail.  "Wid" seemed like a really nice guy who wasn't shy about telling it like it is.

Dropping like flies this year, aren't we?

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 10:51:59 PM »
I had the pleasure to work in the same building with Gary Widmar for several years at Los Angeles Air Force Base.  He was a civilian working for the Air Force as a procurement officer for several of the satellite programs there.  We had lunch together often and shared many stories about models and our careers in the Air Force.  He was a quiet man but had very strong opinions about any number of subjects.  Before I met him, he was into big time Free Flight, mostly Wakefield and Coup de Vier.  He showed me some of those rubber models.  They were absolutly works of art.  When I met him, his interest had turned primarily to control line.  He did not build much and flew even less, but the interest was still there.  Based on comments he would often send me, I know he monitored these forums regularly but seldom posted anything.  He was looking forward to move from the LA area, but would not because he was seeing after his mother.  And she survived him.

A very quiet and gentle man.  He was a friend and will be missed.

Keith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:10:37 PM »
I am very sorry that I missed this posting.  I am sorry, Ty, that you lost a close friend.  I had only corresponded with Gary, but all I have seen here backs up my impressions of him.

It is doubly saddening when we lose the *good guys*.

You know, when we were 18, we were Superman, invincible.  As we get older, things start to change.......

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »
"Things start to change" OH YES.  I just spent 12 days in the hospital because of "change".  Amazing how one part of the body affects three other parts.  You guys out there, 40 and up, be sure to get your PSA checked every year.  Trust me, you don't want to go through the related surgery. Not even. Never.  It will ruin three months of flying, building and contests.  Plus a lot of other things happen, none good.  y1 n1 H^^ D>K

Ty, I hope you are recovering well!   I didn't know you were having problems.........  ???

I am jumping through hoops now having to get cleared by a host of doctors.  Probable surgery after the first of the year.  It beats the alternative and really gives you a wake up call......

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here