News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:50:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clayton Berry - Mister Happy  (Read 5934 times)

Online Dan Berry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Clayton Berry - Mister Happy
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:49 AM »
My brother, Clayton Berry, passed away last week. At this time, I do not have details for any services as of now.
I know that he had sporadic contact with his buddies from Northern Virginia in recent years but I feel that I needed to post this.
He is at peace and out of pain now.

Dan Berry
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:41:40 AM by De Hill »

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Clayton Berry
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
...Sorry to hear of your loss.
 Our prayers are with you and your family...
  Gil Causey
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »
Wow!  That's sad indeed....
though Clayton and I were diametric politically, we enjoyed sparring. Control line flying bound us...

God Speed!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
Thank you, Dan, for letting us know.  This news really makes me very sad.  Clayton was a real character in the best way.  Always fun and funny, yet a good person.  You had to know his humor and willingness to always find something to poke fun at.

My prayers are with you, the family and friends.
Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
Dan ,  so sorry to hear of this. I always enjoyed hangin with Clayton when he came to Huntersville.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »
I had an all time confrontation with Clayton. Political. Memorable series of interchanges. The restaurant where it occurred cautioned me that if I gave any sign of carrying on the way I did the night before, I would be asked to leave. Over time I've come to value vivid moments, events that stick with me, and the people who provoke them. As long as no one gets hurt. Stuff with Clayton stayed verbal. Provoking is a talent. Gadflies. I have been one at times. At least one friend frequently does that role. I liked Clayton. Who else would say the things he said. Unique. One of a kind. We all, of course, are one of a kind. Clayton more so. I know I will continue to find myself thinking of Clayton Berry. Thank you Clayton. Peace.

Where's that ratty Twister he was so proud of. The one he used, at times, with surprising skill.

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
Clayton was a good guy, and He was funny!

He was also a tough hombre to endure the physical hardships that life dealt him.

I'm saddened that he has passed.
De Hill

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
Dan,

So sorry to hear about your brother.  My sympathies go out to you and your family.  Hope you are doing well otherwise.

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »
So sorry to hear of this. Clayton was one of a kind. You will be missed buddy.
Steve

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Clayton was a good friend of our Club, we even named a fun fly after him, The Jan 1 st Clayton Berry Fun Fly, he will be missed . The picture below is at the Fun Fly, Clayton is holding his Orange Plane
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:22:08 PM by William Davis »
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
 I thought alot of Clayton  i would get a phone call now and then from Clayton he would only call me when he was in a traffic jam, I would answer he would come off with one of his one liners. Then we would cut up for about 1/2hour or soo. Dennis is so right when he said,Who else would say the things he said. Unique. One of a kind. Dan your brother will be missed by many.
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Clayton and I were good friends. Sorry for your loss
Ed Ruane
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »
Clayton was an aquantance of mine and I new him to be friendly and genuine. He will be missed surely.
Sorry
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
Really sad news, I first met Clayton in the late 1990's, I used to help him with his R/C planes, he introduced me to U/C and we enjoyed flying together, I'll miss him.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:03:37 PM »
I regret that I don't remember ever meeting Clayton. 

It is up to all of us to commit random acts of coolness in his honor.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 05:17:50 AM »
This makes me very sad :'( :'( :'( :'(

RIP Clayton

Derek

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
Fellows, thank you for the kind thoughts. Clayton really enjoyed flying CL planes and visiting with other guys who do likewise.

Service is Monday at 11:00, graveside at Ebenezer Cemetary,Bloomfield, Va.

Here is a story that helps define him and only model plane guys can truly appreciate it:
We lived in Moss Point, Mississippi when he was in 3rd or 4th grade. There was an assembly with don't do drugs/dope theme. He commented that his Mom bought dope all the time. Now he's got people's attention. He tells them she is gonna bring him some Cub Orange and Bonanza Blue dope. He mentions he likes the AeroGloss dope and doesn't really care much for Sig dope. People are  furiously writing notes about all this new dope that they've never heard of. He tell's 'em Dad never liked using Monokote and Dad's the first guy who ever brought dope home. They are grilling him about his parent's dope and drug habit. He looks at'em wideeyed and asks what are they talking about with the drugs? He's talking about model airplane paint!
Mom got a phone call. We assume that they put a note in his permanent folder that said "He's a wiseacre"

True story. Unlike his politics, his off-center wiseacre brain was around for a long time. Remember, he designed a plane called Mister Happy. My wife actually didn't know what that meant.

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »
I do rember Mister Happy only Clayton could pull it off lol.
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 08:04:46 PM »
Here is a few of his plane at the 99' Brodak's Flyin.

God's speed & "Tight lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »
Sorry to hear this. Clayton contributed here and always had a sense of humor. He will be missed.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
My condolences to his friends and family. I found this photo from Brodaks 2007.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »
My sincerest condolences go out to you Dan and to Claytons wife and son. In 98 or 99 Clayton came to Columbus on business. He called and said he was bringing his plane along to get ready for the Nats and would I coach him. He had Mister Happy and flew his butt off. Just him and I one evening. Lets just say he didn't need much help, was a quick study of where his shortcomings were and proved it a month later. I will always consider him a good friend. Several years later he was back through Columbus with his new wife and baby in tow. We met for a late dinner and he was the proudest new daddy. He also told of all he had to go through just to adopt this child. Having a bout with shingles on the way to do the final arrangements with the child was a harrowing story and he was at that moment in that restaurant really mister happy. He glowed like he had given birth! LL~

It was touching and it is very true. I wish his family well.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
I don't remember if I ever met or talked with him, but he is just too young to leave us and his family.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 06:48:32 AM »
I would like to thank everyone for the kind thoughts. I really miss my brother.
The service went well, although frankly, I don't remember much of it.

As a coda to it all, the first leg of my trip was on a Dash-8 turboprop. It landed in Houston with the nose-gear not deployed.
It makes for a very loud landing a lot of thoughts race through your head while assuming the 'brace' position. Knowing where I was going while on a plane that about to...crash land had me wondering. I don't know how to post a pic of the plane. There were no injuries. If you're gonna lose part of the landing gear, make sure it's the nose-gear.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »
Dan,

Thank you for keeping us informed. Clayton was a great guy and will be missed by all of us that knew him. I remember the last time we talked, it was at Huntersville last year and after my last flight he was critiquing my pattern. As always bits of his humor were sprinkled into the whole conversation. I always enjoyed our talks and I will certainly miss him!

Derek Barry

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 09:09:42 AM »
Dan,

Sorry to hear about Clayton.  I knew him in the '80's when we were teaching him RC at the FARM club in Warrenton, VA.  Great guy...he'll be missed by all.

Phil Coopy

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
I never met Clayton, but always read his posts. Was never disappointed with the humor and goodheartedness displayed. Also watched the link posted of Clayton doing a pattern in Advanced. A good effort; I really liked the 4 Leaf Clover. I'm very sorry for your loss.  :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 07:01:34 AM »
I am so sorry to hear of your loss - Clayton was a great guy and, yes, a wiseacre at times. I used to fly with him at NVCL, or at least try to fly with him, he far exceeded my talents.

with deepest regrets,

mccoy40
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 01:39:57 PM »
Clayton and I judged together at Brodak's FlyIn one year and that was one interesting experience. He and I respected eachother and came to become good friends over the years. I continued to be inspired by his accomplishments when I had to have my second right shoulder replaced and considered having to learn how to fly again with my left hand/ arm! Clayton's accomplishment was and is an inspiration for me. I will miss him truly.

Phil Spillman 
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here