Announcements > In Memory of our friends

Bob Whitely is gone

(1/8) > >>

Chris McMillin:
It sure its hard to believe but Jan called and said RJ died around 10:30 this morning at home in Tucson. Laura and I saw him 3 days ago and he was performing for Laura taking food, drink and allowing her to wipe his face with a goofy grin while telling us a few stories. He was pretty weak then but you always think the best will happen of your old buddies and that they'll make it back once again.

Bob was around for most of my life, I think I was 10 when he started flying Stunt in the SoCal area after seeing Keith, Dad, Bill Rutherford, Don Smith, and a few others flying at the Redi-Spud parking lot near the old Mattell building. Once I was in junior high/high school he lived in Fountain Valley and we being in Huntington Beach saw him frequently, our families even camped together in Lake Havasu for a time. He was really helpful to me once I started flying Stunt and was a great building mentor and coach throughout my life. He was a great trimmer, taught me a lot about setting up engines whether they be muffler, piped, even when we flew electric RC.
Dave Passannante and I saw him a few weeks ago, and he drove out to the RC electric field to see us, I took his Eflite T-28 and radio to bind it and get it going so he could fly RC with us, he was weak and showed leg swelling then indicative of heart failure, but he kept at it and even had us to the house to show off his new Chizler. I thought we'd be flying at least RC now, but it was not to be.

I know a lot of you are personal friends of Bob and Jan but for today I'm sure Jan is overwhelmed, Kelley is there for her and we are going over in a little while but I'm sure a text or card for today and a call a little later would be helpful, just to give her a chance.
So long RJ, you were one of a kind.

Chris...   

John Miller:
R.I.P. Bob, It was great sharing the field when it was possible. I'll treasure what you shared, and always remember the Ice Man.

My condolences and care goes out to your family and friends.

John Miller

Bob Hunt:
I cannot express in just words the depth of sorrow of loss for our community and for me personally. Bob was one of my all-time favorite Stunt people, certainly, but he was also a long-time close personal friend. We often spoke for hours on the phone, and he was always the same; a warm, friendly, humorous, engaged and vibrant person.

There never was a more competitive person than Bob Whitely. He wanted to win at everything he ever did. But, he was also always totally gracious in his rare moments of defeat. He was known by his friends as the "Ice Man" because of his determined focus when he was competing.

Bob was supportive of anyone who wanted to try and fly, trim, or build better, and he mentored many people, including me in my early years of Stunt competition.

Just the thought that Bob is no longer a part of my life leaves a hole that cannot be filled; I'm certain that many of you who are reading this now feel just exactly the same way. He touched so many lives...

My thoughts and prayers now turn to Jan, Kelly, Shawn and the rest of Bob's family, including his extended Cholla Choppers family. They need our prayers now, and knowing how many people loved Bob, I'm sure that they will feel the loving effect of those prayers in the days and weeks to come.

We have lost a number of very good and important people from our community in the past few weeks and months. Can you imagine trying to get some time on the Stunt circle in Heaven right now?  I can tell you that it has suddenly got way more competitive up there...

God Speed Ice Man.

In deepest sorrow - Bob Hunt   

Larry Renger:
Words fail! 😪

Fly high forever, Bob.

Robert Whitley:
We wish to express our deepest sympathy for all who knew him.
Bob and Al’s passing is a truly horrible way to start another year.

Bob and Kim Whitley

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version