News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:35:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Start Story  (Read 503 times)

Offline Steve Maines

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
My Start Story
« on: November 10, 2023, 04:45:12 AM »
OK, let's see if I can remember that far back with any accuracy. I started building balsa kits and my first was a Guillow's Spad biplane. It took some time to build and cover but got it done. Flying on the rubber band power was an utter failure and the plane didn't last long. My father later purchased a Cox Baby Bee .049 for me and my younger brother got a Cox Pee Wee .020.  We ran these in our garage in Montreal until our ears rang and I still remember that.

We eventually purchased a Testors Cosmic Wind plane and flew that at the local elementary school yard. It took a full lap or two to gain speed to eventually fly. It was so cool to be able to fly a plane and things progressed from there. We moved to another Province but I kept building and bought many Goldberg and Scientific C/L balsa kits and flew them at the school yard. I used a scrap piece of plywood as a building board and built the planes in my bedroom, covering and then doping the tissue. Sure did smell up the place but it was fun.

I eventually went to R/C airplanes, later R/C nitro race boats, and as my boys grew we tried R/C cars and trucks. I eventually came back to R/C airplanes, but the MAAC issue with the exemption and NAV CAN and Transport Canada now mandating we have a pilot's license, register each plane and maintain several flight logs has since had me stop flying. Luckily, flying control-line does not have the same onerous reporting / log book issues and I also don't need to pass a pilot's license so I am back to where I started with control-line models.

It's taken some 50 years to get here, but I'm still plugging along. 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My Start Story
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 12:53:15 PM »
Glad to have you back.  I remember building or trying to build the Comet stick and tissue plane.  Never got one to fly If you search you will find my history on this forum. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Maines

• New Pilot
Re: My Start Story
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 02:49:06 PM »
Glad to have you back.  I remember building or trying to build the Comet stick and tissue plane.  Never got one to fly If you search you will find my history on this forum. H^^

Loved mine and once I added a Telco CO2 engine she was a free flight beauty.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here