News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:07:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coming Soon  (Read 14437 times)

Offline Alan Resinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Coming Soon
« on: September 17, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »
Last year at one of the contests in the Pacific Northwest I noticed Mr. Walker had a carbon fiber 3 blade prop on his E powered Impact.  I also noticed at last summers WC that World Champion Igor Berger was also using a carbon 3 blade.  I recognized the prop as a Mejzlik product as my old flying buddy Keith Varley had use some of the same props on some of his Stalker 51 powered ships.  I contacted Randy Smith to see about availability and found that he had none in stock and didn't think any more would be available.  He was right as Mejzlik discontinued all CL props.  This year Paul again had the 3 blade on his new Predator and used it to win his 11th Nationals Championship.  
Some years ago my flying partner Chris Cox and I made a few carbon props for our own use so we were familiar with the process of mold making and lay ups.  Chris and I decided that we ought to make a series of carbon 3 blade props specifically designed for competition.  Paul has always believed in small diameter props, thus the use of the Mejzlik prop which is an 11 X 5.5 prop.  We decided to make a prop that is very similar to that prop plus make one that has slightly more blade area.  We also thought we'd make both a narrow blade and wider blade in pusher configuration.  Below are pictures of some of the test props.  From left to right is the narrow blade tractor, the wide blade tractor and the narrow blade pusher.  The master prop for the wide blade pusher is being prepared and will undergo testing in the near future.
These props have fairly generous under camber and need to be turned at a fairly high RPM.  I went from using a APC 13 X 6.5 on my Crossfire at about 8600 RPM to the 11 X 5.5 at about 10300 RPM.  This seriously taxes my batteries  which are Thunder Power 5S 2700 and I'm using about 2350 mAh.  I figure it is just the cost of competition.  The props so far have proven to quite competitive with 1st and 3rd place at this years Raider Round-up at Auburn, Washington on September 8th.  Mike Haverly was also using one and barely missed finishing 5th.  
Paul has tested both the narrow blade tractor and pusher and has given his OK on both.  We're still fine tuning but expect to be in production on most of the props in about a month.  I've also been in touch with Igor Berger and a couple props are due to be on their way to him next week.
While these props are designed for electric power, there is no reason that they could not be used on smaller IC motors.  We have no plans on making other sizes as we have found the small diameter to give superior corners, better tracking, braking and absolutely no line tension problems at any point of the pattern.
Watch this space.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »
Very nice Alan.  Electric just keeps getting better and better and better.........
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
Alan,,
cool please keep me in mind as you progress through production,, I may soon be in a place to try these,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »
Yea, me too. Are you also going to come up with a 3 blade CF spinner to go with them?   ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »
Yea Randy like I have lots of spare time.  So far I've made moulds for six test props and finally today have started pouring the first finish mould now that we are fairly sure of the mods we've made. I think we've spent $800 on epoxy alone.  It sometimes takes some trial an error to get the proper product for the intended job.  And the $800 doesn't count into all the other stuff required for this project.  I also have to start next years world beater and still have one more contest to go to next month.  Why don't you make spinners?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:34:02 PM by Alan Resinger »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »
Hehe. Man, you are so easy.   LL~
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
Hi Alan, I haven't got my Electric ship done yet, but would these prop work on a .40VF?  It seems to be spinning quite close to the same rpm range.

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
Hello Joe

Regarding the 40VF.  I believe our narrow blade tractor prop would work well with the VF, however you would need to re-pitch to around 4", vs. the 5" - 5.5" we provide.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »
And when might these wunderprops be available? They sound pretty cool to me.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »
Randy,
Half of the final mould for the narrow blade tractor prop was poured yesterday.  I've got it prepped and mounted waiting for me to get my epoxy mixed.  After adding the aluminum to the resin I usually let it sit for a day for those nasty little bubbles to come to the surface.  That mould should be ready for lay-up in about 3-4 days.  We're doing some testing on the narrow blade pusher this weekend and if the mods work as expected I'll start the final mould for that one on Sunday or Monday.  I then have to so some more mods on the wide blade tractor and test it.  Last will be the wide blade pusher which is under construction.
Alan

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »
Hello Joe

Regarding the 40VF.  I believe our narrow blade tractor prop would work well with the VF, however you would need to re-pitch to around 4", vs. the 5" - 5.5" we provide.

Thanks Chris.   I might be interested in one. hopefully they'll be available soon.   repitching is to be expected.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »
Well I said to watch this space so here is an update.  The first prop is ready.  I finished the final mould the other day and we laid up the first prop yesterday.  I prepped it this morning and checked all the specs.  It weighs 29g which is just barely over an ounce.  This is the 11 X 5.5 tractor that we refer to as the "Red" prop.  This prop is very similar to the one used by Mr. Walker and Mr. Burger.
We are still testing the narrow blade pusher.  While on that note, Chris and I got busy in the last few days and made some new pitch gauges for pusher props.  I had constructed a gauge for pusher props a few years ago to do some checking of APC props.  Our new ones are very similar to the old Prather gauges from years back.  I might make some more if there is any interest for serious electric flyers.  They won't be cheap and I will probably only make them during a full moon.  Let me know if there is any interest.
Alan 

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
Alan,

Of course there is interest in both the props and the gauges. I have a Prather, but wouldn't mine a Reverse Prather.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Rodrigo Mansano

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
Hi Alan, I´m interested in the pitch gauge and props!

Rodrigo Mansano
Brazil

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »
Well yesterday, (Sunday), Chris and I jumped into his RV-7 and took off for Salem and the Fall Follies.  We took a bag of new props and a reverse pitch gauge to show around.  We also had to deliver a couple of pusher props to Mr. Rush, as he demands hand delivery.  The JCT just can't get over themselves.  The new wide blade tractor mould is finished so I'll probably lay up as many as I can before we head down to the Golden State Championships next week.  We've also decided to make the new wide blade pusher prop a 12 X 5.5.  We believe that the pusher is really going to be the prop of choice for most of the competitive flyers so we wanted to offer the 12 inch diameter also.  I'm going to get busy making the master once I get back from California.   

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »
after lovingly fondling a few of these, they appear to be well made,, I am on the list for several,, ( when I have something to mount them on that is!)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 02:58:03 PM »
I'll also be anxious to see a few of these.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 01:03:53 AM »
I'll also be anxious to see a few of these.

One sees them at stunt contests, Randy.  You should attend a stunt contest someday.  They're fun.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
Howard is cute
With a turn of phrase
But his humor is biting
And damns with faint praise.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »
One sees them at stunt contests, Randy.  You should attend a stunt contest someday.  They're fun.

well played Howard,, well played
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 12:04:52 AM »
     I've been using one of the RH props for about a month.  Battery usage was a concern but my airplane responded well.  The biggest difference was tracking.  I lost some of the corner but widening my handle spacing pretty much fixed that.  I had to run at 10470 RPM'S, which is almost exactly 1000 more than I was using for the APC 13 x 5.5 for the same 5.4 lap on 69.5 foot lines.

Yesterday I tried the LH (AKA "pusher").  To get the same 5.4 on the same lines I was able to cut the RPM's back to 10,200.  The first prop was very quiet but this one is quieter yet.  Battery usage is around 1850~1950 on 5S 2700 battery.  I had made a number of trim changes for the other prop.  Predictably, I'll be moving back to what is was for the APC's.  Line tension is excellent everywhere but still less than it was before with the APC.  Tracking is greatly improved and is easier to correct for over controlling.

Two thumbs up!  Come to Madera next weekend, there will be a few of them being used.

Mikey Likey #^

EDIT:  I'm using 5S 2700 batteries, not 2000.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:35:12 AM by Mike Haverly »
Mike

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
Well Golden State was a good proving ground for the new props.  With 5 electric ships in the top 8 in Expert class and 4 of those using the new props I can honestly say they are competitive at a pretty high level.  Howard Rush in 4th, Chris Cox in 6th, Jim Aron 7th and myself in 8th was a pretty good showing considering the class of the field.
The "Green" prop ( 11 X 5.5 pusher), the "Red" prop ( 11 X 5.5 tractor) and the "Blue" prop ( 11 X 5.5 wide tractor) are in production.  The new "Purple" prop
(12 X 5.5 pusher) should be ready in about 2-3 weeks as the "master" prop is close to completion.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
At the last Seattle contest before I got the props, I placed behind both Alan and Chris, who had them.  I was able to pass them at GSSC with the greenie.  We all had vortex generators, so nobody had the advantage there.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 08:46:04 AM »
Based on your showing at GSSC Howard (ahead of me), I'm thinking I want that prop back! Your corners looked mighty fine with the new prop.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
Isn't it great how people treat you when  you let them have stuff to do good with.  Way to go Howard.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 09:26:05 AM »

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 08:56:09 AM »
Finished carving the new 12 X 5.5 pusher so I'll spend today doing the final cleanup and start putting finish on it so I can start the mould.  I should be able to get the first half poured on Monday.  Looks like a week before we can start to lay some up.  Now that contest season is over we will start getting production going.  I expect to start shipping props out in a couple of weeks so if anyone is interested in props or reverse pitch gauges let me know.  I had some initial contacts but my stupid Windows 8 computer manages to loose a bunch of correspondence.  If you contacted me please do so again and I'll get the old pencil and paper out so I don't lose things.  You can contact me at the following resinger@telus.net .
Alan

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
and it also well fits my spinned ... not perfectly, but fits ... now just waiting for flyable weather :- ))

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »
The master prop for the 12" pusher is getting moulded.  Should have it finished by the weekend or early next week.  We'll start laying up props next week.
I'm also starting a run of 16 of the pusher prop pitch gauges.  The bases are done and I took the file down to the water jet cutter to get the face plate and arms cut.  Should be ready early next week.  We'll get them ready so by the end of next week they should be finished.  Price for the gauges will be $75 US plus shipping.  If you haven't contacted me about them let me know.  First come first serve.  About half are spoken for.  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:52:43 AM by Alan Resinger »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »
I would bet that it wouldn't be hard to make both LH and RH pitch gauges...or one gauge that will do both, for that matter. Not sure if the market is saturated with RH (Prather) gauges or not, but every now & then, somebody posts that they want one.

One thing that Joe posted, about the launch rpm being similar...gotta remember that the electric stays at "launch" rpm in flight, while IC engines don't. I'd like to know how much my .46VF unloads in flight, and even more curious about the r's when the boost kicks in as the uniflow tube is uncovered. It honks! Not a subtle indication to prepare for the glide portion of the flight.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »
I would bet that it wouldn't be hard to make both LH and RH pitch gauges...or one gauge that will do both, for that matter

you are right, it is not difficult  VD~

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=26163.0

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
Measuring the face of the prop like that won't give you the true pitch if you have any Phillips entry.

"True pitch" has no aerodynamic significance.  It's just something you can measure.  We use it to give new props a known-good pitch distribution, to keep existing props in adjustment, or to establish a standard for props we decide we like.  It's particularly easy to measure props that are concave on the back and have two points on which you can rest the measuring doodad.  If you want to know more about the prop's aerodynamic characteristics, it's easy to get the angle from the easily measured plane to the chord line of the airfoil.  Igor knows how to do that if he decides he wants do further calculations.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »
Yes, "true pitch" is like lap times, only a guide.

I have 2 carbon props, same brand and the pitch is the same.
One was thinned and now I have to boost the RPM by about 100 to get the same lap times.
However, the thinned prop uses a little less battery, so it works OK.

I have also noticed that if I add Phillips entry on the prop, I have to boost the RPM, even though the pitch is theoretically higher.
Bandolero

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 01:25:30 AM »
Measuring the face of the prop like that won't give you the true pitch if you have any Phillips entry.

MM

I do not know if it was reaction to my pitch gauge, but it work just like mechanic gauge. So no difference. But it allows templeats usefull to measure chord line (unlike mechanic gauge)

Regarding that Phillips entry - every asymetric airfoil on prop blade will make some change of true pitch, not only Phillips entry. That difference comes from 0 lift AoA of used airfoil. Knowing that angle, we can correct pitch, my gauge has input value for that offset, so it can easily handle this problem, mechanic gauge can be corrected by anglular prop shimming :- ))

However our airplanes has some drag and prop must make some permanent thrust, so measuring lower side gives very good overview about prop and what it will do in air.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 01:32:36 AM »
I have also noticed that if I add Phillips entry on the prop, I have to boost the RPM, even though the pitch is theoretically higher.

that is true ... if you do it by removing material on existing prop, you will change chord AoA, but you will also make smaller chamber and chambered airfoil has negative 0 lift AoA, it could be aproximately -4 degrees, so if you make it flatter, that angle will change from -4 to -2 and you will change angle of chord say +1 deg you are still missing 1 deg. Therefore you must compensate it by higher rpm :- )))

Offline James Strickland

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »
Hey Alan, I'm definitely in need of a pusher pitch guage, how do I go about getting one?  Would be about one month.

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »
James - you can contact Alan at his email address: resinger@telus.net.  I will be picking up the face plates for the pitch gauge in the next day or two and then fitting them to the base.  Suspect we will be mailing early next week.

Alan and I are getting very close to producing the first 12" pusher.  The blade Alan carved is a thing of beauty, and we hope to get to the flying field soon for testing.  The thing I am looking forward to will be the ability to play with the diameter a bit.  The 11" is probably as small a diameter as you would want to go, but the 12" will provide some length to experiment a bit.  The length 11.3" seems to be engraved in my brain for some reason or another? I wonder why that is?

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »
Update of new "purple" 12" pusher prop  >:(

It appears my  "mould guy" got a little too eager to see the finished product and popped the freshly moulded master apart before the casting epoxy had a chance to fully cure.  He managed to save the 12" master prop, but put production behind by at least another week.  The added cost of pouring a new mould will be deducted from his pay cheque at the end of the month!

The Quality Control Department will be watching Mister Resinger a little more closely in the future. It's difficult to find good help these days   %^@

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »
Ah the life of the lowly peon.  We get no respect.  I think it was mostly a senior moment.  I didn't take into consideration the fact that with the colder temps, the shop temp has dropped a bit.  I was really afraid that I wasn't going to be able to save the master which would have really set things back.  Got the trusty mallet and a couple of good chisels and was able to chip out all the hardened epoxy matrix that broke away from the male half of the mould and stayed in the female half.  Only had a couple of minor dings in the back of the prop which a little epoxy filled.  The master is now refinished and will be polished and waxed in the morning so that I can prepare to remould it.
Now that my pay in going to get docked I think I'll demand at least half pay for the month.  Chris tell the Dragon Lady to issue me a check for $5 at the end of the month or I may go on strike.

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
Alan!
Wait till I tell Brian Eather what you did!!!!  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Bandolero

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
Alan

How do you figure 1/2 of nothing adds up to $5.00?

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 11:38:28 PM »
Watch it Russell.  I think I remember who's first on the list for the 12" pusher.  Besides, Brian knows my incompetence well,  I was just trying to get the mould done so I could take a break from making them.  I sent a couple of props down to Brian earlier this week.
Alan

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 01:12:27 AM »
OK, OK, I won't tell him.............yet!
Give me some free props and I'll never tell him. Hahaha.  S?P LL~ LL~
Bandolero

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
Sorry Russell, if you tell Brian, that will be Alan's problem.  Inventory Control (aka Dragon Lady) would never permit a propeller leave the factory that was not properly documented.  Tell you what though, we will sell you the 12" prop's at the old price, before the anticipated price increase.  #^

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »
Well the first of the new 12" X 5.5" 3B pusher props got laid up yesterday.  I'll get it from Chris at coffee this morning and clean if up and balance it.  We might get to test it this afternoon as the weather looks like it might be OK.  If all goes well I'll start contacting people that had expressed interest in the 12".  Should be able to start sending some out in a week or so.  The first 10 or so are already spoken for with firm orders. 
Alan

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2013, 08:38:04 PM »
As indicated by Alan, we did indeed make our way out to the flying field to test the new (purple) 12" pusher.

Weather during the testing was cool @ 46F and light wind, but quite choppy.  Neither Alan or I have flown since getting home from the Golden State Stunt Championships, so we figured we should first fly the green 11 x5.5 pusher for a base line.  Despite my rather rusty flying, the prop performed well, just as I remembered it.  RPM was 10,304 giving a lap time of 5.3 seconds.  Next we installed the purple 12 x 5.5 (more like 5.75 according to Alan). We anticipated the airplane would be quicker due to the added area, and we were right, 4.8 second laps (no change in RPM). Luckily we had set the air time for only 1:30.  We stepped the RPM down to around 9550 RPM and the next flight yielded a 5.1 second lap. Next setting was 9340 giving a 5.3 second lap.  Perfect. I did a vertical eight, hourglass and overhead eight in the 1:30 time frame, and liked what I saw/felt!  Time to fly a full 5:30 flight!

Did I mention above it was cool?  Well, with the wind coming on a little stronger, it was now feeling fricking cold!  Anyhow, we reset the timer to 5:30 and launched. Take-off tracked great from the time it left Alan's hand.  Still a steady 5.3 lap (why wouldn't it be, it is electric after all). Wing over felt strong with good corner.  The loops were round with very little correction, and no wind up due to the wind that was stronger and choppy than before.  Inverted flight was solid, and other than some altitude variation due to changing wind, the airplane felt very stable inverted. Corners in the squares were very hard with a clean exit, very similar to the 11" props. My first hint that this may now be my new favourite prop was the square eight.  The last outside corner where the 11" prop seems to be loosing a little poop was now very strong.  Seems the larger diameter was providing the added thrust my slightly obese (64 ounces) Crossfire needed!  The vertical eight felt strong throughout, and the third corner of the hourglass was solid, despite the wind.  I purposely flew my overhead eight loops on the small side just to see if it would hang up there - no problem!  Finally the four leaf clover, and the first loop that can sometimes feel a little loose, felt absolutely fine.  In fact, all four loops in the clover felt the same in tension and controllability. 

I was really pleased with the prop and although cold out, I had one more charged battery left and figured better to fly than go home with a charged battery.  Happy to report the prop performed equally well on the second flight! Even though I felt I was going to freeze to death, I was really having fun.

The next test was the one Both Alan and I were a little worried about, and that was how much current the new propeller required vs. the smaller 11" prop. I charged the first pack (Thunder Power 5s 25C 2700) which we used for the 11" prop.  The pack only took 1989 mah, which I found a little surprising due to the cold. I expected more.  Pretty darn good.  Next up was the pack we flew the full 5:30 on the 12" prop. Wow, this was surprising, it took only 2152 mah, which is acceptable for a 2700 battery pack.  Too be sure, I charged the last battery, and it took 2169 mah.  Wonderful!  Our fears of needing to fly a bigger/heavier pack was unwarranted.  Current demands should be less when weather warms up!

So, I am happy to report Alan and I now have four very nice props available.  Two tractors and two pushers.  They all work great, although I personally prefer the pushers for the electric set-ups.  I suspect t the 12" will be more popular for those flying more stout (read "heavy") airplanes, as it provides a little more thrust when loaded than the 11".  As mentioned in a post somewhere above, the 12" will also permit a little experimentation with diameter than the 11".

The 12" purple is my favourite for the time being!

Time to go downstairs a mold another prop!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 07:59:42 AM »
Thanks for the update Chris.
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »
Ah the life of the lowly peon.  We get no respect.  I think it was mostly a senior moment.  I didn't take into consideration the fact that with the colder temps, the shop temp has dropped a bit.  I was really afraid that I wasn't going to be able to save the master which would have really set things back.  Got the trusty mallet and a couple of good chisels and was able to chip out all the hardened epoxy matrix that broke away from the male half of the mould and stayed in the female half.  Only had a couple of minor dings in the back of the prop which a little epoxy filled.  The master is now refinished and will be polished and waxed in the morning so that I can prepare to remould it.
Now that my pay in going to get docked I think I'll demand at least half pay for the month.  Chris tell the Dragon Lady to issue me a check for $5 at the end of the month or I may go on strike.

Don't you use a low heat during the cure process? Maybe a heat lamp with temp control.
We use a heater blanket with temp. monitors along with vacuum bagging when we do composite repairs to flight controls and other surfaces at my place of employment (Major Airline).
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2013, 07:55:13 AM »
I don't think that pouring a mould and doing composite surface repairs are the same thing.  Heat is a big no-no when pouring moulds.  Due to the mass of epoxy matrix used, heating needs to be kept to a minimum until the resin if fully set.  After 48 hours of curing at room temperature, the mould is then post cured for about 8 hours at elevated temperatures.  I should have stated that due to the reduced temp in my shop the resin hadn't cured sufficiently before I opened the mould to remove the master prop and then post cured the mould in our oven. 

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2013, 09:13:53 AM »
I don't think that pouring a mould and doing composite surface repairs are the same thing.  Heat is a big no-no when pouring moulds.  Due to the mass of epoxy matrix used, heating needs to be kept to a minimum until the resin if fully set.  After 48 hours of curing at room temperature, the mould is then post cured for about 8 hours at elevated temperatures.  I should have stated that due to the reduced temp in my shop the resin hadn't cured sufficiently before I opened the mould to remove the master prop and then post cured the mould in our oven. 

That makes sense, since your dealing with a thicker part it must cure evenly. I guessing the post cure is for insurance.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Shawn Lenci

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »
I received two beautiful Canadian built 12" 3 blade pusher props and a pusher pitch guage yesterday! #^  The work that Alan and Chris do is outstanding.  The props both weigh right at 29 grams each and look perfect.  The pusher pitch guage is a work of art as well.  I can't say enough nice things about these two gents.  Total class acts.  Thanks Alan and Chris for your efforts.  I hope to be flying the props the next time we meet.

Merry Xmas!

Shawn
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:58:05 PM by Shawn Lenci »
AMA 97686

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »
You are making me blush Shawn!  Thanks for the kind words.  Hope the prop's do you proud.

Ps: Alan is not nearly as nice as you make him out to be.  >:D

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2014, 06:07:20 PM »
I just got a note from Joe Parisi in Australia.  Joe finished first at the OZ Nats.  I'm proud to say that his electric model was sporting our "Green" LH prop.
Alan

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
Congrats to both of you ,you hard work on a great prop. And Joe for his great flying.👏 🎉 ✈️
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Joe Parisi

• New Pilot
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2014, 05:58:25 AM »
I'd also like to thank both Alan and Chris for producing such great props. The 11" 'green' pusher worked so well for me at the Oz Nats.

Compared to the larger diameter 2B props that I was previously running, the 'green' prop gives me a crisper, cleaner corner with less yaw/GP effect. Also gives me more uniform line tension all round. I have the rpm set at 10,500 and it is very smooth and quiet. Power consumption is around 2000 - 2100 mAh on my TP 5S 2700 25C batteries.

I have the 12" 'purple' pusher too, but have not yet had a chance to try it. Looking forward to doing that soon.

Regards,
Joe

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2015, 05:49:57 AM »
Used the 11x5.5 pusher on my new plane and all I can say is WOW!  This is one great prop!  Need to get a few more.
Jim Vigani

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here