News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: valve adjustment tools for O.S. 20 four stroke  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
valve adjustment tools for O.S. 20 four stroke
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:17:20 PM »
I just replaced the bearings and ring in a O.S. 20fs for Larry Renger.  He asked me to run the engine before I give it back to him.  I checked the valve clearance and the intake is out of adjustment.  Larry didn't give me the adjustment tools, I am not sure he even has them.  Does anybody out there know where I can get these tools, that would include the jam nut wrench, allen key for the adjuster and the feeler gauge.  Actually I do not really need the feeler gauge but the other tools I do need.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Re: valve adjustment tools for O.S. 20 four stroke
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:25:16 AM »
Hi Andy,

Surely someone on here will respond, but if not I may be able to help.

I have an FS 26, and purchased a set of tools for that engine many years ago. I'm almost sure the tools for that engine will work on Larry's FS 20.

Lord knows where the tools are now, but I can probably find them given sufficient time to look.  ;D

Let me know if you need them.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:21:54 AM »
Surely you can find something in your stash that would work.  Other wise a trip to your local tool supply with the engine in question might help you out.  No I didn't call you  schirly. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:46:26 AM »
Well you need a metric allen wrench (as I recall) and these days it is almost impossible not to need a metric version so I'd recommend picking up a set at your local hobby shop or home improvement center.

I think I have just used a small crescent wrench to hold the jam nut.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:24:09 AM »
Andy. You will need a 1.5 MM Allen wrench and a 5 MM box wrench.
With the engine at TDC on compression, set the clearance on both valves to .0015 to .004" ( I set them to .002")
Then, turn the engine back and forth the ascertain the setting - you may have to readjust a bit.
Flip it a few times and recheck.
Do it with the engine cold.
Be very carefull not to over-tighten the lock nut - you will break the adjusting screw.
Bob Z.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »
Thanks guys.  Bob I don't believe the adjustment screw is 1.5mm, I tried my 1.5mm and it was to big.  I am guessing it is 1mm, but not to be a fool I will recheck it again.  Now that I know the jam nut is 4mm I will take the advise of others and make a call on my local hardware store.
Thanks All
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 07:17:48 AM »
Andy -    y1 y1 y1 
I double checked. The adjusting screw Allen wrench on my OS 20 FS is indeed 1.5 MM and the nut is 5 MM.

Bob Z.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
Bob
Please accept my humble apology on the size of the adjustment screw, you are correct it is 1.5mm.  But the jam nut on the .20 I have are 5.5mm not 4mm.  It turned out I had everything I needed to adjust the valves.  I ran the motor today and it runs great.  I even called Larry, who has been under the weather for a couple of weeks, and let him hear the engine while it was running. 

I was getting 9K on a APC 8x6 and it ran a full tank with no problems.  I have to believe that it will only get better as the ring seats in with the cylinder.

To all that helped thanks very much, Bob your help was greatly appreciated and as I said before Frank Bowman was a great help in getting the ring installed.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here