News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thunder Tiger 4 stroke  (Read 6158 times)

Offline anderson-ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Thunder Tiger 4 stroke
« on: November 16, 2009, 11:26:19 PM »
Hi has any one tried a thunder tiger 75 four stroke? I bought one for my T-Rex ARF airplane and I was wondering if they run ok ?  thanks for any help, Ron
Ron Anderson
AMA # 740170

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Thunder Tiger 4 stroke
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:57:01 AM »
Not sure but think Thunder Tiger and Magnum come out of the same factory. No first hand experience just hearsay that they are not up to par power wise with Saito and OS. A friend handed me a Thunder Tiger 61 to play with and it's 2 ounces heavier than a Saito 62..

Sorry, not real encouraging but try it and see how it shakes out, might be great then you can tell us how to make it run..

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

Seeing as how Bradley Walker has a Thunder Tiger 54 for sale in ther classifieds, there is apparently 1 person with some actual experience with the Thunder Tiger brand of 4 strokes. You could PM him or you could :
do a "PAGING BRADLEY WALKER".  Someone experienced with a TT 75 may just not be available.

It seems that a 75 would be overkill for the T Rex , some guys are getting away with an ST 51, for gosh sakes.  How much does this beastie motor weigh? Is it too heavy to provide CG balance without massive tail weight being required. Just some questions to ask off the top of my head.  Good luck.
                                                                                                     Pat Robinson

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
Awe heck, saw but didn't compute you were considering one for a T-Rex.. I had to add 2 ounces to the tail of the one I built with a Saito 62. I would venture to guess that engine is at least 4 ounces heavier maybe more.. Sorry bad choice for a T-Rex.

The Saito 62 I put in the one I built was bought off eBay for $150.00. Good price for a killer setup...

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »

I also would like to know more about the TT 75, it should be a great engine. First of all according with the engines specifications the TT75 (454g) is lighter then a Saito 72 (470g)  and the TT 75 use the same technology to coat the liner as they do on their heli engines, which I have heard is one of the best out there.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »
Not sure but think Thunder Tiger and Magnum come out of the same factory. No first hand experience just hearsay that they are not up to par power wise with Saito and OS. A friend handed me a Thunder Tiger 61 to play with and it's 2 ounces heavier than a Saito 62..

Sorry, not real encouraging but try it and see how it shakes out, might be great then you can tell us how to make it run..

Bob,

I believe the TT engines are made in Taiwan and Magnum in main land China by two different companies.

Martin

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »
Bob,

I believe the TT engines are made in Taiwan and Magnum in main land China by two different companies.

Martin

Thanks for setting me straight, thought they both were from China.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 07:33:44 PM »
The Thunder Tiger comapny used to make all Magnum engines in Taiwan. When Magnum setup its own company in China and started to produce there own motors Thunder Tiger started to sell Thunder Tiger branded motors  here in the  U.S.
 The engines that are now made by Magnum in China are a differant design and very differant than Thunder Tigers, Thunder Tiger is a higher quality engine.
The 4 cycles are very well made and have good power, Also Magnum just desgined brand new more powerful better  4 cycle engines

Randy

Offline anderson-ron

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »
Hi everyone and thank you all for your imput. I have already purchased the T-REX and TT 75 4 stroke. I paid $154.99 for the engine new and it is 16.13oz with 1.2hp. I will try it out when I find time to build it and report back about how it worked out. thanks, Ron
Ron Anderson
AMA # 740170

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 02:30:44 AM »
Hi everyone and thank you all for your imput. I have already purchased the T-REX and TT 75 4 stroke. I paid $154.99 for the engine new and it is 16.13oz with 1.2hp. I will try it out when I find time to build it and report back about how it worked out. thanks, Ron

wow $ 154.99 ! that is a bargain where did you get that ?

Martin

Offline anderson-ron

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »
Hi Martin, I bought the engine from thundertiger4u.com, but that was on a weekend special. I think right now they are $174.99, thanks have a great day, Ron
Ron Anderson
AMA # 740170

Offline dale

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 07:20:51 PM »
Hello Ron Anderson,  I was reading your post about the thunder tiger 75.If you would like to know more about this engine you can go to www.rcuniverse.com, then click on forums and skroll down to glow engines it is half way down the 2nd page.It seems that some people are having lubracation problems with the camshaft, bearings,lifters, because of the sealed  rear bearing.            Rick Schultz . 

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »
The TT 75 is a beast.  I tested one and it would easily spin a 15"-5 Zinger like it was nothing.  Sick, off the charts power.  Very well made and smooth.  Too much for me...  I did that whole huge motor thing....but I would put it on par with a Saito 82.

I sold mine to Randy Holcroft.  I used a modified UHP manifold (enlarge the intake from the OS 52 manifold).

One suggestion...  add .020 head shims...  drop the compression.  It will take the peakiness away.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline anderson-ron

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 11:16:22 PM »
Thank you for all the 411, Ron
Ron Anderson
AMA # 740170

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here