News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito front bearing question..  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
Saito front bearing question..
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
I have a Saito .56 CL engine that I removed from a stunter, cause I was getting some odd inconsistent runs. After I put the after-run oil in to stored it away with crankshaft down.  I notice on the next day.. almost all the oil has drained back out through the front bearing. Is that normal or the seal has gone bad?  I thought the front bearing was suppose to be sealed.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Saito front bearing question..
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
Personally, as long as the bearing feels OK I wouldn't worry about it. 4 strokes don't depend on crank case pressure like two strokes and it won't cause any run issues. I don't like taking engines apart unless it is a must do and in this case I don't see a problem. The oil could have leaked out the breather but in any case as long as the bearing is OK I would just run it..

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
Personally, as long as the bearing feels OK I wouldn't worry about it. 4 strokes don't depend on crank case pressure like two strokes and it won't cause any run issues. I don't like taking engines apart unless it is a must do and in this case I don't see a problem. The oil could have leaked out the breather but in any case as long as the bearing is OK I would just run it..

Thanks Bob.   H^^ The bearing seems fine, and the breather was plugged. I think the run issue is probably not enough prop loading with a 12" 3-blade..  and there's no ground clearance for 13" dia. HB~>

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
Bend longer landing gear.. That is what I did on my Score..

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 03:24:23 AM »
...and the breather was plugged. // ...I was getting some odd inconsistent runs.

Were you running it with a plugged breather? (...or did you just store it that way?)
That would explain your blow-bye and "odd runs" due to excessive C/C pressure.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »
Were you running it with a plugged breather? (...or did you just store it that way?)
That would explain your blow-bye and "odd runs" due to excessive C/C pressure.

I just stored it that way.. basically to see if the After-run oil was coming out from there, it obviously was not.  It also explains why the spinner had so much oil in it, and I notice that every time I take it to the field..  from storing the plane nose down.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here