News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:53:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito CL Break-in  (Read 1996 times)

Offline proparc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Saito CL Break-in
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
Has anyone ever solved the issue of Saito CL's not being able to idle low enough for proper break-in?
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Saito CL Break-in
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 11:57:13 AM »
Yep, I install an RC carb but I do understand most do not have an RC carb laying around. Really do wish I had a good simple answer but I don't.  Might try closing off 1/2 the intake with a balsa plug and running it rich.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »
I remember when I got my first OS 60 FS, they said to break it in at full throttle, but open the needle to richen it about 4,000 RPM. It worked well on that old open rocker job. Many hours of running on it since 1980, and she still runs great. I think I have replaced brgs. in it twice over the years, but that is all. Still has great compression with original ring.
Jim Kraft

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
Bob, In your opinion,(what else would it be) would it be possible to safely break-in a Saito 62 CL with the stock control line carb on it.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »
Bob, In your opinion,(what else would it be) would it be possible to safely break-in a Saito 62 CL with the stock control line carb on it.

I would do it if I didn't have an RC carb but I would stick a scrap piece of balsa in the intake so it would be easier to keep at a low RPM for the first several minutes. Don't worry if it gets away from you for a second or two and runs fast before you get it running rich enough, won't hurt anything. Don't forget to remove the valve covers and dribble some oil down the push rods. If you can do this a day or two before you run it the oil will have time to migrate past the lifters onto the cam. Also If you leave the glow plug connected you can keep it running at a richer setting.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here