News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:59:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito Cam Gears  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Saito Cam Gears
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:52:02 AM »
Had another modeler ask me to put a reverse cam gear in a 56 so while in the process I decided to see if there was any real difference between the SAI182TD34 which is suppose to be the p/n for the 62 and the SAI130T34 which is the one for the 56. I had previously ordered and received two for the 62 and one for the 56 plus I received another to install with the 56.

I removed both of mine (62&56) from the packages to make a comparison and if they are different I sure can't see or measure it. The lower photo is the 56 and 62 gears right out of the package, 62 is on right, the stock gear removed from the engine is at the top.

Then dug out the stock gear I removed from a 62 just to see if there was any difference between the stock 62 and 56. Was a little surprised at what I found. If you look at the top photo you will see the 62 gear is slightly wider than the one I removed from the 56. (ya the 56 is a well experienced engine).

I really doubt any of this means a whole lot as I don't feel the difference in gear width will make one iota of difference in performance or longevity and the overall length measurement at the bearing is identical. What I don't know is if the first reverse gear I ordered and installed in the 62 is like the one I received on my second order of if somewhere along the line Saito changed the part. Not worth tearing the 62 down to find out but if anyone still has a 62/72 gear from the original stock (SAI182TD34) before they went on BO maybe they could measure the thickness of the gear? According to my digital calipers the stock 62 gear is 0.143 and the stock 56 gear is 0.118

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Saito Cam Gears
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »
I see the 62/72 gear (SAI182TD34) is on B.O. again, they sure weren't in stock very long. Sure makes me wonder if they didn't discover they were packaging the 56 gear in the 62 bag and pulled them. Only other explanation is if you guys are ordering a bunch of reverse gears.

They show the 56 gear in stock which makes sense if what I suspect happened.

Your going to make me take my 62 back apart just to see if my theory holds any water. Come on fess up, somebody out there has to have one of the SAI182TD34 gears from before they went on B.O. the first time.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »
I see the 62/72 gear (SAI182TD34) is on B.O. again, they sure weren't in stock very long. Sure makes me wonder if they didn't discover they were packaging the 56 gear in the 62 bag and pulled them. Only other explanation is if you guys are ordering a bunch of reverse gears.

They show the 56 gear in stock which makes sense if what I suspect happened.

Your going to make me take my 62 back apart just to see if my theory holds any water. Come on fess up, somebody out there has to have one of the SAI182TD34 gears from before they went on B.O. the first time.
I have one that was ordered on 7-17-2011, dont know if that is before or after the BO ocassion you refer to.   It is .118".  Still had the paperwork on that one.  It was in stock at the time, received it in 3-4 days.

To best of my recollection, it was several weeks later I ordered one for the 56 and it was on back order at the time, and I got it about 3 weeks later.  Didnt keep the paper work on this one.   It also measures .118".
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
Thanks Allan, that was the piece of info I was looking for. So looks like the two gears are the same even though Horizon stocks them under two different numbers.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here