News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:01:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 62 with reverse cam  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Saito 62 with reverse cam
« on: February 04, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
I just intercept comunications from the dark side about a reverse crank for a Saito 62.

===========================================================
quote:

ORIGINAL: Sharpeye22

Ok guys got a question:

Is there anyway to convert a Saito56 so it will counter rotate the prop?  I am planning my build of a twin WWII plane and am checking my options.

Sharpeye

No but you can reverse the 62 by using this cam

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SAI200TI35

========================================================

thought you guys would want to know about that!

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Saito 62 with reverse cam
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:13:25 AM »
Martin

I can appreciate your question. I'm a 100% scale twin pilot and an rc twin pilot as well. In both places counter rotation is a real blessing. But as it turns out it does not appear to be such an issue in control line. I was have been around Frank Carlisle and his LA Heat twin project for a couple of years now. Frank powers it with a pair of brodak .40's. I have seen just about every combination of engines running that you can imagine from both to none to either one running while the other is not. The only difference discernable (except that when done are running its very quiet) is that the lap times change by about 0.8 seconds slower when only one is running. The plane still has good line tension, it still flies with authority, and I am sure Frank could still do many maneuvers with it on one.  When a motor quits it does not mater which one goes first. The plane continues to fly securely until the other stops.

I am sure this has been a real relief to Frank as I was one of the folks harping to him that it could be a problem. Counter rotation can look cool but I do not think its an issue for a glow powered control line twin. If I were to do one in glow (I fly only electrics now where of course its very doable) I would do both running normally.

hope this helps

bob branch

ps, sorry bout the screaming bold type. I'm on a new computer and have no idea why it just suddenly did that when I went to scroll down to send.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:12:35 PM »
Bob,

I just posted the information in case some one would like to use this feature and by all means this is not intended for twin stunt model but for a single one. Reversing the engine the torque is in you favor on the overheads and also will help pull the model away from you in case of slack lines.

This is a feature one can use to be a bit more competitive and thought it was worth posting.

The electric guys are using it and they claim there is a significant advantage.

Martin

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
Martin

I'm one of the electric guys and believe me it is a definite advantage. I do not even test normal direction running props any longer.

Interestingly, in speaking with Big Art Adamisin about it last summer he told me he had made some glow motors for reverse rotations many years back. No one seemed to have any interest in it so he only did a few. Also of note Big Art has flown some electrics in and says he is going to convert some ships to electric. After seeing the predictability of the engine runs he has become quite an advocate. He has also noted the advantage of the reverse rotation.

bob branch

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »
I just intercept comunications from the dark side about a reverse crank for a Saito 62.

===========================================================
quote:

ORIGINAL: Sharpeye22

Ok guys got a question:

Is there anyway to convert a Saito56 so it will counter rotate the prop?  I am planning my build of a twin WWII plane and am checking my options.

Sharpeye

No but you can reverse the 62 by using this cam

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SAI200TI35

========================================================

thought you guys would want to know about that!

Martin

Assuming you meant reverse cam instead of "Crank", check to see if the cam part# in a .62 is the same as a .56. If they are, it might be a do-able mod.?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:44:06 AM »

Doug,

From what I understand this reverse cam only works with the Saito 62 and not the 56.

Martin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here