News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:22:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 56/62/72  (Read 5684 times)

Offline ash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
Saito 56/62/72
« on: January 25, 2011, 01:08:26 AM »
So the Saito 62 CL has been out for a while now... What's the verdict so far?

Is it up to the standards set by the other 56 and 72?

I see it's a lot lighter than the 72 but also a lot less powerful.
I'm leaning towards the 62, but haven't heard a lot about them having been on hiatus for a while.

For an Impact or Trivial Pursuit I suspect any of them would be up to the task, but which Saito would you choose?

Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Saito 56/62/72
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:11:05 AM »
Good morning, Ash.

I evaluated one of the very first SAITO 62 CL engine when I did the Brodak Strega article in the September, 2008 issue of Flying Models.

The article reviews both the engine and the plane. One entire page is devoted to just the engine.

Bottom line is that it pulled the 73 ounce aircraft without any problems whatsoever - a great combination.

Try and get a hold of the article - if you cannot, I will gladly copy it and send it to you.

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »
I'm presently running a 62 in a kit bashed Legacy at 63 ounces and have ran the 56 in a couple airplanes in the past. To me they are pretty much interchangeable but the biggest/heaviest airplane I fly is a 67 ounce Score with a 56. My new T-Rex ARC (if I ever get it finished) is getting a Golden Knight 56 only because it the only GK I have.

You can see the Legacy (Latency) in the Members section of our club web site. Bottom row..

http://www.tulsacl.com/Membersthumb.html

Might want to check out my carb mod which I feel works better than the CL intake from Saito.

http://www.tulsacl.com/SaitoCarb.html

If you do end up with a CL version, open the spray hole in the spray bar up to the same size as a PA spray bar, can't remember the size off the top of my head.

Never found the need for a 72, two ounces heavier and I wouldn't care to be on the handle of anything that needed the extra power.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »
Can't wait to see the responses on this one. My specialty of course, has been the "big block". I have said it before, and I will say it again, the 72 is NOT a beginners motor. I tend to see the 56\62 as interchangeable and the 72, as a WHOLE different can of worms.

That said, if you have a pathological, insatiable, unmitigated lust for power, the Saito 72 will cure you!! The 72 is for the guy that swaps out his 302 for a 454. It’s for when you decide that YOU are going to dictate terms to the wind, instead of the other way around.

If you don’t know what you are doing, don’t buy it. Stick with the 56\62, (prices are very good on the 56CL right now by the way).

That all said, my Saito 40A is the finest engine I have ever owned. Strictly in a class by itself.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:48:12 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far, guys.  :)

My natural instinct is to go for the overkill power and mass of the 72, but my experience with the GMS 76 in the Zone 2 tells me that excess isn't suited to my actual flying needs.

I have two projects in the running for the next spot on the building schedule, a big Impact-ish thing and a smaller Diva-ish one. I think both are worthy candidates for any of the Saitos, but I'm also tempted to try either a piped Magnum 36 in the small one or maybe a piped Enya 60RE in the big one. At least one will get a 4-smoker, though. That is for sure. Thinking out loud here, really.... Saito 56 in the Impact-ish one is still the leading contender thanks to the great price on the 56 at the moment.

Milton, what is it about the 72 that makes it less beginner friendly than the others? I'm not a stunt beginner, but I am a 4-stroke beginner.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far, guys.  :)

Milton, what is it about the 72 that makes it less beginner friendly than the others? I'm not a stunt beginner, but I am a 4-stroke beginner.

The 72 is definitely a trip down the "Dark Side". Once you go there, you might never return-LOL. No really, it is not an engine for beginners. Quite frankly, you really have to have experience setting up stunt motors in general, and tuning a verrry powerful 4 stroke. Windy, myself, and a few other guys know how to rock with the "big block" but, that experience level is pretty deep. I would advise newbies to give it a pass.

That said, I have run both the 56 in RC version and the 62, again in RC version, and I find the 56 to be slightly smoother, (no surprise). The 82 plain sucks-period. Igor Patchenko owns and flies both 56 and 62.

The BEST 4 stroke for beginners, hands down is the Saito 40A. Start with that motor and learns the inns and outs of adjusting valves, playing with fuel\nitro levels-and why the O.S. Max 4 stroke F plug is so good etc.  
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »
Just a side note. This is what can come about when you decide to head down the "Dark Side". Big block!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 05:51:43 AM »
Here is some info on the .62.
Since I have started using the 20/20 blend that Bob Reeves suggested, I no longer open up the mufflers.  #^  #^
Bob Z.

"To many, the 4 stroke engines present themselves as a technical mystery. This is definitely NOT the case. I have been using them for well over ten years and maintain that once properly set up, they are no more difficult to use than the 2 strokes. There are a few guidelines and items to consider but none are difficult to implement or understand. Proper run-in is very important in 4 stroke engines. From considerable experience, I have found that most every one needs at least one hour of time before it’s ready to perform. Some sure indicators of insufficient break-in are high fuel consumption, as well as hot and erratic running. BE PATIENT and give them lots of run-in time!!!
My preferred fuel, with which I have had excellent results, is the Brodak 10/23 which uses a 50/50 castor/synthetic blend. People in many of the warmer climates prefer a 20% nitro, 20% all synthetic blend. Again, what yields the best results is the ticket.

Here is a method I use for all my 4S engines before I run them. I inject about ¼ ounce of oil into the breather and cap it off. After installing a prop, I flip the engine ten or fifteen times. This insures that all the internal parts are well coated. Then, I mount the engine in the test stand and remove the valve cover(s).  After checking the valve play, I drizzle oil all over the rocker arms insuring that it flows down the push rod tubes. Replace the covers, remove the vent cap and we’re ready to go. Install tank and tubing with an in-line filter. This is very critical as the 4S fuel passages can clog easily.

Due to the induction/exhaust layout of a 4S, it is nearly impossible to prime when mounted upright. No problem – just choke it as one would a 2S, keeping in mind that the downstroke AFTER the power stroke is where the intake valve opens and fuel can be drawn in. Using clear tubing, you can see it being drawn into the carb. With the plug lit, turn it slowly to get a bump. It can then be started as any other engine. My preference is flipping by hand. I have done so with 4S engines ranging from .20 to .91 and once one gets the hang of it, it becomes second nature. Of course, USE A GLOVE or chicken stick. If you prefer an electric starter, make sure the engine is not flooded before engaging it. If for some reason you manage to flood it, the easiest way to clear it when on a stand it to remove the plug and flip it briskly a few times, doing so until no more fuel comes out. When first started, a lot of oil will spew out of the breather. A length of fuel tubing down to the ground makes things a bit neater.

Following the above procedure, I found the engine very easy to start and quite user friendly. A 12-6 wood prop did the trick for run-in. I set the needle valve at five turns, allowing for some initial rich running. Then, I leaned it out slightly after every tank. After around 45 minutes of running, I decided that it was ready to install. I suggest you re-check the valve clearance and adjust if needed. Most wear occurs during the first hour or so and you may never have to adjust again.
By the way, one thing was immediately apparent. This engine is a bit louder than most of the 4S engines I’ve used. You’ll note that the muffler is quite small, allowing minimal exhaust gas expansion before exiting. The small muffler does indeed save weight but should noise be an issue, just buy the muffler supplied with the RC version of the engine.

4S engines, like any type, will occasionally flood. When on a profile plane, the exhaust is normally facing down and by gently turning the prop back and forth, the flood will clear and drain out through the muffler. If the engine is inverted, do not turn it upright to clear the flood. A slug of fuel will simply ride up and down on the piston. Instead, leave it inverted and turn it back and forth until the fuel drains out the muffler. Keep in mind that the valves are at the lowest part of the engine and as soon as the exhaust begins opening, the excess fuel will run out.

Another interesting foible is their tendency to run backward. If you are running muffler pressure and your vent fitting is submerged in fuel, this is not only irritating but downright dangerous. Why? When running backwards, it is drawing air in through the muffler. Since there is a fuel feed line coming from the tank to the muffler, the muffler acts like a carburetor and will draw the fuel in. The bad part is that the actual carburetor acts like an exhaust. You will be discharging burning exhaust gases through the carburetor into the engine compartment. Possibility of fire? Yep! I’ve already seen it. Should your engine start backwards, just cover the muffler outlet and it will stop immediately.

In closing, allow me to describe something that I have done with many 4S engines and the results have been more than satisfactory. Virtually all the engines I’ve used seem to have one thing in common: An exhaust outlet that just appears too small. What I have done is to ream them out, increasing the area by about 25%. Does it work? On the SAITO 30, ABSOLUTELY. I have proven this by direct comparison on every one I fly. I did the same to the muffler of the 62. I noticed an immediate decrease in fuel consumption and it appeared to run cooler. Please realize that I am not suggesting that you perform any mods to your engines. I’m simply sharing some results and information gleaned from over one thousands flights on 4S engines ranging from .20 to .91 CID."

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »

For an Impact class I would definitely get the 72. And if your making a Diva size, I believe it is 650sq wing, I would get the 62 for it.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »
I juuuuust backed away from the big shiny "BUY IT" button on a 62 not five minutes ago. I decided to give it another week of pondering. The 56 seemed like a great option at the current prices, but I figured I would always be wondering if the 62 wasn't better for just $30 extra. While the 72 really does press all the "more really is MORE" buttons in me, I think I'll save that experience for a larger model I have planned for a few years time.

My Diva-ish one will be a bit smaller than a PTG Diva, around 630sq", so the piped 36 set up should cut it. Plus, I already have it, so I really should use it!

Thanks so much for the input, guys.

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:54:35 AM »
The exchange rate is at an all time high so I nabbed a 62 this morning. Should be here in a few weeks and I can start prepping it for service in the Typhoon (Yatsenko aerodynamics in a far more aggressively styled airframe).

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
The exchange rate is at an all time high so I nabbed a 62 this morning. Should be here in a few weeks and I can start prepping it for service in the Typhoon (Yatsenko aerodynamics in a far more aggressively styled airframe).

You won't be sorry! As I have said before, women will go gaga over you once you strart flying 4 strokes.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here